A native of North Carolina, Calvin Woodard attended VMI and served in the U.S. Navy before receiving a B.A. in economics from the University of North Carolina in 1950. He earned an LL.B. from Yale University in 1953 and a Ph.D. in History from Cambridge University in 1961. From 1953 to 1955 he was in private practice in New York City with the firm of Sullivan and Cromwell. Prior to joining the faculty of UVA, he taught history and law at Yale University, among other places. He joined the Law School faculty in 1965, teaching primarily legal history and legal philosophy and was appointed the Henry L. and Grace Doherty Charitable Foundation Professor of Law, a position he held until his retirement in 1994. In 1967 he became a member of the Order of the Coif. Professor Woodard held visiting professorships at the law schools of Stanford University, Washington and Lee University, The College of William and Mary, the University of Hanover in Germany, Fudan University in Shanghai, and National Chengchi University in Taipei. He was awarded fellowships from the Fulbright Program, the Guggenheim Foundation, and the National Endowment for the Humanities for postdoctoral study in England and Germany and at Yale University. During the latter part of his career, Professor Woodard helped develop the Law School’s Graduate Program for Judges, and was a frequent lecturer for the American Bar Foundation Conferences of Appellate Judges and at seminars for judges. He died in 2004.