A native of Bowling Green, Kentucky, Kellogg graduated from VMI in 1925. He received a law degree from Yale in 1928 and practiced law in New York for four years with the Cravath firm before establishing his own firm in Detroit, where he practiced from 1932-55. He also served four years in the Army, rising to the rank of lieutenant colonel. He joined the UVA faculty first as a lecturer in 1956 and taught international law, trade, and investment law, retiring in 1975 as a full professor. At that time, the Virginia Law Weekly noted, “students remember his receptive, encouraging manner, and his willingness to give time to their instruction.” He served as the long-time advisor of the Virginia Journal of International Law. Kellogg was executive director of the Virginia Law Foundation from 1964 to 1973 during the critical fundraising period that preceded the Law School’s move to the North Grounds.