A native of Norfolk, Virginia, William Henry White, Jr. received his LL.B. from the University of Virginia in 1905. He spent a year in a New York law office, but he returned to Norfolk where he was associated with the law firm of White, Tunstall, and Wilcox. In 1907, White became a member of the law firm of Loyal, Taylor and White. He remained in their employment until World War I when he joined the legal staff of the U.S. Shipping Board Emergency Fleet Corporation. Eventually, White became General Counsel for this organization until he resigned in 1919. With some former associates, White established a law firm in Washington, D.C.. White graduated from the National University with two degrees, a B.A. and S.J.D. He returned to UVA Law School and became a member of the UVA faculty. His first role was Lecturer in Law from 1936-1938, and White became a UVA Professor of Law, serving from 1938-1951. He taught courses in Insurance, Admiralty, Criminal Law, Business Associations, Taxation, and Legal Ethics. From 1942-1945, he served as Acting Dean. F.D.G. Ribble later described him, “When he had reached the time when many men think of retirement and ease he took up another obligation, that of professor of law. He added dignity and effectiveness to the Law School of the University of Virginia…A striking feature of Billy White was loyalty—loyalty to his friends, loyalty to his University, loyalty to his state and nation. He served the nation very effectively during war time and in peace. In his last years he retired but kept in constant contact with the Law School and was always a faithful and wise advisor to law students and to persons who were in need of help and wisdom. His name will long be remembered among persons who have made the University of Virginia great.”
White had served as President of the General Alumni Association of UVA. He was a member of the Alumni Board of Trustees of the UVA Endowment Fund, and White served as the Fund’s Secretary-Treasurer. He was on the Executive Committee of the Law School Foundation, a member of the Law School Council, and Chairman of the Athletic Council. Additionally, White served as Director of Placement for the Law School. In 1956, he was awarded the Algernon Sidney Sullivan Award. White and his family established the William H. White Lectureships in Law in honor of his father, a longtime member of the Board of Visitors. William H. White, Jr. died in 1963.