Collection Description & Arrangement
The collection retained Mrs. Tremain’s original organization. The folders are chronological (1936-1977) and primarily consist of letters and notes acknowledging Mr. Gilmer’s life.
Biographical & Historical Information
George Gilmer was born the 13 of April of 1888 in Charlottesville, Va. He was the son of Frank Gilmer, a prominent member of the Charlottesville and Albemarle Bar and Rebecca Singleton Haskell of South Carolina. He graduated from the University of Virginia Law School in 1910. From 1910 to 1917 he practiced law with his father and founded the Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association in 1916. He served in the U.S. military from April 1917 to 1918. Afterwards he practiced law in Charlottesville with John S. Graves, Roderick E. Smith, Richard H. Barrick, Carl E. Hennrich and John A. Dezio.
Mr. Gilmer was appointed Commonwealth Attorney between 1913 and 1917; Commissioner in Chancery and Assistant Commissioner of Accounts for both the city and the county (since 1920). He was President of the Bar Association twice, and secretary for twenty years. He was vice-president and director of the Cassco Corporation.
George Gilmer was very active in the Alumni Association of the University of Virginia and was a generous alumnus. He was elected to the Lawn Society, was a member of the Red Land Club and was asked to serve on the Board of Trustees of the University of Virginia Medical School Foundation. He was an accomplish horticulturalist and member of the American Horticulturist Society, the American Hemerocallis Society and The Men’s Garden Club of Charlottesville. Mr. Gilmer died on February 16, 1977 in Charlottesville, Va.
|Donor Information||The George Gilmer Collection was donated to the University of Virginia School of Law Special Collections in September of 2005 by his daughter Betsy Gilmer Tremain.|
- 1936-1951; Miscellaneous documents
- [1936; Diagram of the United States Supreme Court seating arrangement]
- 1941, Apr. 16; Pledge letter from The University of Virginia Alumni Fund
- 1942; George Gilmer’s Application for Supplemental Gasoline Ration Books
- Thank you note from John S. Battle, Governor of Virginia
- 1960, June 11; Recognition from the Alumni Association of The University of Virginia for fifty years of service
- 1969, May 17; Virginia State Bar Certificate of Appreciation for Fifty Years of Service
- 1970, Oct. 7; Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association Certificate of Appreciation
- 1973-1974, 1982-1983; University of Virginia School of Medicine. Citation and letters of recognition for gifts
- 1976, Jul. 14; George Gilmer’s letter of resignation as County of Albemarle attorney for collection of delinquent taxes
- 1977; United States Honor Certificate to George Gilmer signed by President Jimmy Carter
- 1977, 1980; Resolutions upon George Gilmer’s death
- 1977; Letters of condolence [2 folders]
|Access||There are no restrictions.|
|Use Restrictions||There are no restrictions.|
Papers of George Gilmer, MSS 05-3, Special Collections, University of Virginia Law Library
|Unless otherwise stated, digital materials in our collections are available for use under a Creative Commons BY 4.0 License (CC-BY-4.0). For Use and Citation guidelines, see Special Collections Use Policy.|