Collection Description & Arrangement
This small collection of photographs consists of 33 reproductions of historical photos taken in 1910 of employees and people who were in charge of different departments of the then called Bureau of Chemistry. In addition to the collection there is a Memorandum to the FDA Leadership Council (2006?) re the centennial anniversary, with some historical facts and photocopies of past commemorative documents.
Biographical & Historical Information
The public furor surrounding the 1905 publication of the novel "The Jungle " triggered the passage of both the Food and Drug Act and the Meat Inspection Act were in 1906. In 1927, USDA's Bureau of Chemistry, which enforced this act, was reorganized, and it became the Food, Drug, and Insecticide Administration. It was renamed the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1931. In 1940, the FDA was transferred from USDA to the Federal Security Agency, which became in 1953, the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare -- now the Department of Health and Human Services.
|Donor Information||This small collection of photographs was donated to Special Collections by Prof. Richard Merrill in July 2007.|
ca. 2006; Memorandum to the FDA Leadership Council (2006?) re the centennial anniversary, with some historical facts and photocopies of past commemorative documents.
1. Bureau of Chemistry.
2. Dr. Harvey W. Wiley, Chemist and Chief of Bureau.
3. Dr. F. L. Dunlap, Associate Chemist.
4. Dr. W. D. Bigelow, Assistant Chief of Bureau and Chief of Division of Foods.
5. Food Inspection Laboratory. L. M. Tolman, chief.
- A. L. Sullivan, C. D. Phillips, C. J. Durham, F. D. Lucas, L. M. Tolman.
6. Food Inspection Laboratory. L. M. Tolman, chief.
- W. E. Hillyer, A. L. Sullivan, J. I. Palmore, L. C. Mitchell, W. C. Taver, R. C. Kent, E. H. Goodnow, M. Boyle, H. E. Sawyer, A. M. Doyle, and L. M. Tolman.
7. Food Technology Laboratory. E. M. Chace, chief.
- A. R. Albright, E. M. Chace, C. P. Wilson, and L. B. Burnett.
8. Oil, Fat and Wax Laboratory. H. S. Bailey, chief.
9. Research Laboratory. Dr. W. D. Bigelow, chief.
- A. L. Dawson, P. B. Dunbar, F. W. Liepsner, and Dr. W. D. Bigelow.
10. Investigations in the Chemistry and Technology of Fruits. H. C. Gore, chief.
- H. C. Gore, O. E. F. Gersdorff.
11. Division of Drugs. L. F. Kebler, chief.
12. Drug Inspection Laboratory. G. W. Hoover, chief.
- F. Morgan, F. M. Sayles, E. O. Eaton, G. W. Hoover.
- Standing: B. H. Horstein, F. C. Merrill, C. E. Parker, H. E. Murray, V. K. Chestnut, H. C. Fuller.
13. Synthetic Products Laboratory. W. D. Emery, chief.
- Rex Shiveley, L. B. Mears, W. O. Emery.
14. Essential Oils Laboratory. L. F. Kebler, chief.
- L. F. Kebler, E. K. Nelson.
15. Pharmacological Laboratory. Wm. Salant, chief.
- I. K. Phelps, Wm. Salant, W. P. Childress, J. B. Rieger.
16. W. G. Campbell, Chief Food and Drug Inspector.
17. J. K. Haywood, Chief of Miscellaneous Division.
18. Water Laboratory. W. W. Skinner, chief.
- P. J. Fox, J. W. Sale, D. C. Dyer, W. W. Skinner, J. B. Reed and W. D. Collins.
19. Cattle, Food and Grain Laboratory. G. L. Bidwell, chief.
- C. O. S. Gallant, G. E. Goodrich, H. L. Walter, G. L. Bidwell.
20. Insecticide and Fungicide Laboratory. C. C. McDonnell, chief.
- R. C. Roark, W. D. Lynch, G. P. Walton, C. C. McDonnell.
21. Trade Wastes Laboratory. J. K. Haywood, chief.
- W. D. Lynch, J. K. Haywood, C. S. Moore.
22. Contracts Laboratory. P. H. Walker, chief.
- F. W. Smithe, H. C. Mc.Neill, H. A. Whitman, E. W. Boughton, L. Feldstein, E. M. Dawson Jr., P. H. Walker, A. S. Thatcher, G. O. Schmidt, J. H. Bower, W. Ellison, L. H. Bailey, P. Perrone.
23. Dairy Laboratory. G. E. Patrick, chief.
- J. T. Kerster, W. J. Morgan, V. E. Brown, J. G. Riley.
24. Leather and Paper Laboratory. E. P. Veitch, chief.
- F. P. Veitch, C. F. Sammet, E. O. Reed, C. F. Spea, J. L. Merrel, J. S. Rogers, M. G. Denk.
25. Microchemical Laboratory. B. J. Howard, chief.
- B. J. Howard, K. G. Barber, W. J. Young, C. H. Stephenson.
26. Sugar Laboratory. A. H. Bryan, Chief.
- C. G. Church, A. H. Bryan, M. N. Straughn, A. Given, D. R. Forbes.
27. Nitrogen Section. T. C. Trescot, in charge.
- J. L. Jenkins, T. C. Trescot, A. W. Broamell.
28. Physiological Chemistry (animal). F. C. Weber, in charge.
- F. C. Weber, H. S. Paine, F. C. Cook, H. W. Houghton.
29. Physiological Chemistry (vegetable). J. A. LeClerc, in charge.
- B. R. Jacobs, G. C. Spencer, E. S. McCarthy, E. H. Walters, J. E. Breazeale, G. H. Easton, J. A. LeClerc, W. M. Morrison.
30. Bacteriological Chemistry. G. W. Stiles, in charge.
- M. Jenkins, C. Bates, E. L. Wilcox, G. W. Stiles, A. Brodie, A. Le Fevere.
31. Group Photograph.
32. Photo of a building. Possible Bureau of Chemistry.
|Access||There are no restrictions.|
|Use Restrictions||There are no restrictions.|
|Unless otherwise stated, digital materials in our collections are available for use under a Creative Commons BY 4.0 License (CC-BY-4.0). For Use and Citation guidelines, see Special Collections Use Policy.|