|Creator:||Howard, A. E. Dick|
|Title:||The Papers of A. E. Dick Howard|
|Description:||This collection consists of 2 archival boxes (.75 linear ft.)|
|Photograph Collection:||View 26 digitized photographs|
|Digitized Content:||26 objects|
|Use Restrictions:||No restrictions|
Collection Description & Arrangement
The collection consists of some reports and statements in relation to the nomination of Judge Robert H. Bork to the Supreme Court. Prof. Howard was a commentator in the McNeil Lehrer news hour during the confirmation hearings. Bill O’Brien, a student assistant, helped him to collect all the information.
|Donor Information||Professor A. E. Dick Howard donated these papers to the Law Library in 2012.|
- Memorandum of Bill O’Brien to Prof. Howard re Bork materials, 8-28-1987
- 1977-1982; n. d.; Bork File: Statement of Robert H. Bork, n. d.; “The Individual, the State and the First Amendment “, University of Michigan 1977 or 1978; “Foundations of Federalism. Federalism and Gentrification”, The Federalist Society, Yale University, 4-2-1982; Excerpt from Question and Answer Session, Canisius College 10-8-1985; “Religion and the Law”, University of Chicago, 11-13-1984; Speech Brookings Institute, Washington, D.C., 9-12-1985.
- 1987; ACLU Briefing Book on the Confirmation of Judge Robert H. Bork to the United States Supreme Court.
- 1987-1988; Bork Materials: Statement of Senator Edward M. Kennedy on the Nomination of Robert Bork to the Supreme Court , 6-1-1987; Letters from Senator Dennis DeConcini, 6-24-1987 and 6-31-1987; Remarks of Senator Edward M. Kennedy at the Midwest Academy Retreat (Citizen Action), Chicago, Ill. 8-2-1987; “Nomination of Robert Bork” delivered in part) 8-6-1987; Letter from Orrin Hatch with Congressional Record attached re Bork’s nomination 8-10-1987; Opening Statement of Senator Patrick J. Leahy, 9-15-1987; ABA letter re Robert H. Bork nomination, 9-21-1987; Testimony of Laurence H. Tribe (Prof. of Constitutional Law at Harvard University),9-22-1987; Nomination of Robert H. Bork to be Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, Senate Judiciary Committee Supplemental Questionnaire, n.d.
- 1987; People for the American Way Report: “The Selling of Robert Bork”.
- 1987; Newspaper clippings with some annotations.
- 1987; Benchmark: The Judicial Record of Judge Robert H. Bork.
- 1987, Jul.; White House Congressional Liaison Office: Bork Nomination General Overview. Press release of 7-1-1987; Remarks of President Reagan.
- 1987, Jul.; Department of Justice, Office of Legal Counsel Materials on Robert H. Bork.
- 1987, Aug.; Special Interests Groups on Bork: National Women’s Law Center, Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, Americans United for Separation of Church and State.
- 1987, Aug.; Public Citizen Litigation Group. The Judicial Record of Judge Robert H. Bork.
- 1987, Sep. 2-3; U. S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary. Response prepared to White House Analysis of Judge Bork’s Record.
- 1987, Sep.; Report of the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, Inc. and People for the American Way Action Fund: “Judge Bork’s views regarding Supreme Court Constitutional Precedents”.
- 1987, Sep. 9; ACLU Report on the Civil Liberties Record of Judge Robert H. Bork and revision.
- 1987, Sep. 12; Department of Justice, Office of Public Affairs: “A Response to the Critics of Judge Robert H. Bork”.
- 1987, Fall; Supreme Court Syllabus and Instructions; 1987-1988 Course Offering Directory and Addendum No. 4 (Cumulative).
- Congressional Research Services Report to Congress. The Bork Nomination (Received between July 2nd and July 17th, 1987).
- Congressional Quaterly’s, Supreme Court Nomination, V. 2, No. 6, Aug. 17, 1987.
- Statement Adopted by the AFL-CIO Executive Council on Opposition to the Nomination of Robert H. Bork to be an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., August 17, 1987.
Other materials not related to Bork’s nomination:
- 1974, Feb. 15; Letter from Senator Edward Kennedy to Prof. Howard re “pocket veto” clause and Kennedy v. Arthur F. Sampson. Appeal. [No. 73-2121, 73-2122.]