|Creator:||Michael P. Dooley|
|Title:||Papers of Michael P. Dooley|
|Description:||4 boxes; 3 linear feet|
|Location:||This collection is stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections before your visit to ensure your papers are available.|
|Photograph Collection:||View 0 digitized photographs|
|Digitized Content:||0 objects|
Collection Description & Arrangement
Prof. Michael P. Dooley Papers were donated to the Law Library on June 10, 2014. The collection consists of 4 archival boxes (1.5 linear ft.) The files consist primarily of documents labeled “consulting”, found in his office after his death. There is also some correspondence.
Biographical & Historical Information
Michael Patrick Dooley, Professor Emeritus at the University of Virginia School of Law, was born on January 16, 1939 in Iowa City. He received his undergraduate and law degrees (1963) from the University of Iowa. He was the comment editor for the Iowa Law Review and member of the Order of the Coif. After graduating he practiced law in New York City with the firm of Ballantine Bushby Palmer & Wood until 1968, when he left private practice to teach at the University of Illinois. In 1971, he came to Charlottesville to be a “lecturer” at the University of Virginia Law School, joined the faculty in 1972 and taught at the Law School for 41 years before retiring in 2012.
Dooley served on the advisory committee of the New York Stock Exchange from 1991-1995. He was member of the American Bar Association’s committees on corporate laws and corporate practice and on the Virginia Bar Association Corporate Task Force, the ABA Task Force on Executive Compensation, and an ad hoc committee on the American Law Institute Corporate Governance Project. He was chair of the business law section of the American Association of Law Schools. He drafted a new derivative suit statute for the Virginia Stock Corporation Act (1992) and was a reporter for the ABA’s Model Business Corporation Act.
Professor Dooley taught torts, securities, corporations, corporate financial transactions, mergers and acquisitions and contracts. He also chaired the Graduate Program Committee at the Law School and taught in the Darden School Executive Program on mergers and acquisitions.
Professor Dooley died February 18, 2014.
- 1967, May 5; Zeldin v. Frankel: Memorandum of Principal Fact [photocopy]
- 1984;” The Law and Economics of the American Corporation” – lecture given in Salzburg, Austria: summary of lectures; preliminary assignments to seminar group; handwritten notes of lecture 1:”An Overview of American Corporate Governance; handwritten notes of lecture; organization charts of the Government of the United States, The United States Judicial System and Federal Trade Commission
- 1987-1992; Close Corporation Task Force – Memoranda re: Dissolution Provisions. Section 14.30 Revision; “Some emerging trends in shareholders’ fiduciary duties” (Nov. 3, 1989); “Protection of minority interests in closely held business organization” (n.d.); handwritten notes; “Development in remedies of oppressed minority shareholders” (Feb. 22. 1991); draft of “Proposed New Section to Provide for Purchase of Shares in Lieu of Dissolution; correspondence.
- 1988; Expert Report Materials – Merger between Barris Industries, Inc. and Media General, Inc. – Michael P. Dooley Affidavit (Apr. 20, 1988)
- 1990; Axton-Fisher – Materials for research on price behavior of tobacco inventories during WWII price restriction: correspondence; copies of articles on tobacco industry
- 1992; Expert Report Materials – In the Matter of H of H Limited and In the Matter of the Companies Law CAP.22, Cause No. 107 of 1992: Michael P. Dooley Affidavit (Sep. 4, 1992)
- 1992; Expert Report Materials – State of West Virginia v. Morgan Stanley & Co., Incorporated; Salomon Brothers, Inc.; and Goldman, Sachs & Co., Civil Action No. 89-C-3700, Deposition Volumes 1-2 (Jan. 23-24, 1992) (2 folders)
- 1993-1997; Expert Report Materials – Fort Howard Corporation v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Tax Court Docket No. 6362-92: Report (Jul. 30, 1993); draft of affidavit (Feb. 1997)
- 1994; Expert Report Materials (1 of 2) – Charles E. Bradley v. R. Emmett Boyle & Others, Civil Action No. 94-0029-W(S): Deposition (Jun 27, 1994); transcript of proceedings in the preliminary injunction hearing (Jun. 29, 1994); expert opinion report (Jun. 23, 1994); expert opinion report (Jun. 29, 1994); affidavit (Dec. 9, 2014); expert opinion report (Feb. 27, 1995); disposition (Jun. 5, 1995) (2 folders)
- 1994; Expert Report Material – Commonwealth of Virginia v. Dominion Resources, Inc., and Virginia Electric and Power Company, Case No. PUE 940040: Affidavit (1994); notes with annotations
- 1995; Expert Report Materials: Merger between MGM and Pathe Communications Corporations (Pathe): expert opinion report (Mar. 8, 1995)
- 1996-1997; Expert Report Materials-Commonwealth of Virginia v. Laszlo N. Tauber, et al, CH 950516: Deposition (Jun. 28, 1996); court decision (Feb. 7, 1997)
- 1997-1998; Expert Report Materials – TheraTx, Incorporated v. James W. Duncan, Jr., et al, No. 1:95-CV-3193: Rule 26(a)(2)(b) Report of Michael P. Dooley (Dec. 22, 1997); deposition (Jan. 27, 1998)
- 1997-1998; Expert Report Materials – Alfred W. Gross, et al. v. National Association of Home Builders of the United States, et al., Cause No. 96-00472: Report (Oct. 13, 1997); revised report pages 3-6 (Oct 13, 1997); report of Robert W. Hamilton (Jan. 12, 1998); supplemental report (Jun. 3, 1998); memorandum re: Robert W. Hamilton Report (Jul. 26, 1998); correspondence
- 1998-1999; Expert Report Materials – Chiron Corporation v. Roche Nederland B.V., et al., Case No. 98/870: Declaration (Oct.16, 1998); correspondence
- 1998-1999; Expert Report Materials – Lindner Fund, Inc. v. Matria Healthcare, Inc., et al., Case No. 4:95 CV 00213 RWS: Rule 26(2)(2)(b) Report (Sep. 14, 1998); correspondence
- 1999-2001; Expert Report Materials – OmniOffices, Inc., et al. v. Joseph Kaidanow, et al., Civil Action No. 99-0260: Rule 26(a)(2) Report (Jun. 30, 1999); expert opinion report (Oct. 25, 2001)
- 1999; Expert Report Materials – Payne & O’Connell v. Dukes, et al.: Expert opinion report (Nov. 17, 1999)
- 2000 (2002); Expert Report Materials – Susan Miles and Linda J. McHatton v. Philip Morris Companies, Inc., a corporation, and Philip Morris Incorporated, a corporation, Cause No. 00-L-112: Affidavit (n.d.)
- 2002 (2005); Expert Report Materials – Premier Capital Management, L.L.C., TMB, L.L.C., and Xen Investors, L.L.C., v. Larry Cohen, Brian Flanagan, Wan Hee Kim, Jung Koh, Michael Turcotte, Ron Falese, Blair Robinson, and Northview Bank and Trust, No. 02 C 5368: Expert Report (Sep. 15, 2005)
- 2003-2005; Expert Report Materials – Kingspan Holdings U.S. Inc., et al. v. Daniel R. Baker, et al., Case No. 50 T 168 00487: Transcript of arbitration (Jan. 30, 2003); Statement of reasons for the Final Award (American Arbitration Association, Oct. 9, 2003); Final Award (American Arbitration Association, Oct. 10, 2003); correspondence
- 2004; Expert Report Materials – George Blick: Expert opinion report (May 20, 2004)
- 2005; Expert Report Materials – Decision Insights, Inc. v. Jeffrey Quillen, et al., Case No. 1:05 cv 335: Rule 26(a)(2)(b) Report (Jun. 20, 2005); supplemental report (Aug. 9, 2005)
- 2006; Expert Report Materials – H Street Building Corporation, et al., v. Calvin Cafritz, et al.: Plaintiff’s Rule 26(b)(4) Statement (Sep. 15, 2006)
- 2006; Expert Report Materials – John Kirkland Fort, Chapter 7 Trustee for Spartan International, Inc. v. J. Barry Leonard, et al., Case No. 7:05-1028-HFF: Expert report (Sep. 29, 2006)
- 2008 (2011); Expert Report Materials – Industrial Technology Ventures, LP v. Pleasant T. Rowland Revocable Trust; W. Jerome Frautschi Living Trust; W. Jerome Frautschi; and Diane C. Creel, Civil Action No. 08-CV6227: Expert report ( Sep. 9, 2011); deposition (Oct. 11, 2011)
- 2008; Expert Report Maerials – In Re: Unitedhealth Group Incorporated PSLRA Litigation, Civ. No. 0:06-cv-01691-JMR-FLN: Expert report (Apr. 1, 2008); transcript of video deposition (Apr. 25, 2008)
- 2009; Expert Report Materials – Matthew W. Hardey v. Newpark Resources, Inc. and Paul W. Howes, Civil Action No. 07-9025: Expert report (Jul. 8, 2009)
- 2012; Committee on Corporate Laws – General Review Task Force: Memoranda; draft of official comment; proposed amendment to model business corporation-voting trusts; draft of inspectors of election (Apr. 4, 2012); correspondence on “Assertion of innocence as condition of expense advancement under the MBCA” (Oct. 21, 2012); correspondence on “Voting by Shareowners for the election of directors” (Oct. 25, 2012); revised draft on qualification of directors; correspondence on “Majority voting/Naples meeting” (Nov. 5, 2012); correspondence on “CLC Nonpublic Corp Task Force-Corporate Opportunity” (Nov. 14, 2012); proposed amendments to the Model Business Corporation Act; draft of “Benefit corporation white paper” (Dec.2012); memorandum of December 2012 task force meeting (Dec. 2, 2012)
- n.d.; Speeches: Draft of speech on the meaning of the study of law; fundraiser remarks
|Use Restrictions||Some restrictions apply.|
The Papers of Michael P. Dooley, MSS 2014-04, Box Number, Special Collections, University of Virginia Law Library
|Unless otherwise stated, digital materials in our collections are available for use under a Creative Commons BY 4.0 License (CC-BY-4.0). For Use and Citation guidelines, see Special Collections Use Policy.|