|Creator:||Tavenner, Frank S., Jr.|
|Title:||The Personal Papers of Frank S. Tavenner, Jr. and Official Records from the International Military Tribunal for the Far East, 1945-1948|
|Description:||This collection consists of 113 boxes and 23 cartons.|
|Location:||This collection is stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections before your visit to ensure your papers are available.|
|Photograph Collection:||View 0 digitized photographs|
|Digitized Content:||0 objects|
Collection Description & Arrangement
Series I: The personal papers comprising the first 26 boxes cover the years 1946-1948 when Tavenner was counsel to the International Prosecution Section (IPS) of the IMTFE. During 1947, Tavenner was Acting Chief of Counsel, in the absence of Chief of Counsel, Joseph Keenan.
Subseries 1: Reports, memoranda, court documents, etc. Boxes 1-7 These files are arranged by month, and begin with documents compiled in late 1945 before Tavenner's arrival in Tokyo. The end in May 1948, with the conclusion of the trial. There are a variety of documents included within this group, but in particular, they include memoranda between prosecution counsel, letters, prepared reports, analyses of interrogations, court documents, arguments before the Tribunal, and miscellaneous material. The written reports and memoranda perhaps form the most interesting part of these papers are they give insight into the attitudes and approaches of the lawyers making up the IPS, particularly in 1947 when he was Acting Chief of Counsel during the absence of Joseph Keenan. International Prosecution Section Counsel were allotted subjects to research in an early point in the trial. Reference should be made to the memorandum dated 8 May 1946 concerning the division of work at that date. Revised presentation lists were drawn up as the trial progressed and as it became evident that the trial would take substantially longer than originally estimated. (See memoranda dated 28 June 1946 and 18 September 1946.) These materials almost entirely originated in the Legal Branch of the IPS, which there were four other branches. The prosecution case lasted from 4 June 1946 to 24 January 1947. The defense case began on 24 February 1947 and continued until 12 January 1948.
Sub-series 2: Materials on individual defendants. Boxes 8-9 Besides his other duties Travenner was given "overall charge of the preparation of the cases against individual defendants." (see Memorandum dated 4 December 1946 from Eugene Williams, Special Asst. to Chief of Counsel, to IPS Associate Counsel.) These materials include both dated and undated memoranda and reports. There are also lists of references made to the narrative summary of the record. Additional folders contain extracts from Kido's diary, with sections relating to each of the defendants; references to the narrative summary by name of defendant in reference to other defendants' cases; analyses of the defendants by the Russian division; rebuttal evidence of the prosecution and defense--order of proof.
Sub-series 3: IPS documents numbered 0-4095; complete. Boxes 10-12 The analyses of documentary evidence contained in Series II of the Tavenner collection should be studied in conjunction with these documents, together with the collection of exhibits and rejected documents which are also part of Series II.
Sub-series 4: Newsclippings. Box 13
Sub-series 5: Reports, memoranda, and miscellaneous materials relating to Japanese/German/Italian collaboration. Boxes 14-15 This is another phase for which Tavenner had special responsibility. The IPS counsel working with him were O. Hyde and W. McKinney. Apart from general notes, memoranda and reports, these materials include the prosecution case for this phase; seven volumes.
Sub-series 7: Material from the Nuremberg Trials (1945-1946). Box 19-21
Sub-series 8: Shipping, Trade, and Industry Reports. Box 22
Sub-series 9: Assorted maps used for reference purposes within the Legal Branch--China, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific. Box 23
Sub-series 10: Two boxes of miscellaneous materials, such as reports and/or summaries of proof for the prosecution's case, and a statement of Joseph Grew, former U.S. ambassador to Japan, in support of several of the defendants. Boxes 25-26
Series II: A near-complete set of official records of the Tribunal comprise the second series of this collection. Included are a nearly complete set of the transcript of the proceedings, a complete set of exhibits, a narrative summary of the record, several indexes, rejected documents, defense and prosecution summations, orders and rulings of the tribunal, and the judgment.
It is apparent that the collection is not in its original order probably due to the manner in which it was shipped to the United States at the conclusion of the trial. It has now been arranged as much as possible in chronological order, although many of the files contain undated reports and reference materials.
Biographical & Historical Information
Frank S. Tavenner, Jr. was born in Woodstock, Virginia in 1895. He took an A.B. degree at Roanoke College in 1916, an A.M. at Princeton University in 1917, and a LL.B at the University of Virginia in 1927, after which he began the practice of law in his home town. In 1933 Tavenner was appointed assistant U.S. attorney in the Western District of Virginia and in 1940, became U.S. attorney. Following World War II, he was assigned by the Department of the Army to be Counsel and later Acting Chief of Counsel, Prosecution section for the IMTFE from late 1945 to the end of the trial in 1948. From 1949 until the mid-1950's, Tavenner was Chief of Counsel for the House Committee on Un-American Activities. He died in 1964.
|Donor Information||Mrs. Tavenner donated the collection to the Law Library in 1971.|
Boxes 1-26: Personal Papers 1946-1948.
Reports, memoranda, court documents, etc.
- General Memos, Reports 1945
- Indictment 1946
- General Memos, Reports 1946. [13 folders]
- General Memos, Reports 1947. [17 folders]
- General Memos, Reports 1948
- Memoranda on Saionji-Harada; Memoirs, 1947. [2 folders]
Materials on individual defendants
- Files on Defendants, 1946. [14 folders]
- Extracts from Kido's Diary, 1946
- References in Narrative Summary
- Analysis of Defendants [Russian Division]
IPS Documents numbered 0-4095; complete
- Reports, Summaries I.P.S. Documents
- I.P.S. Documents 0-4095. [7 folders] [See oversized maps in Box 23]
- Unnumbered I.P.S. Documents
- Newsclippings 1946-1948.
Reports, memoranda, and miscellaneous materials relating to Japanese/German/Italian collaboration
- Japan, Germany, Italy Documents, Reports
- Japan, Germany, Italy Collaboration. [8 folders]
Tokyo News; Economic News April 1947; August-December 1947; Jan. 1948; June 1948. [14 folders]
Material from the Nuremberg Trials (1945-1946)
- Nuremberg Memos, Reports 1945-1946
- Nuremberg Prosecution Addresses 1945-1946
- Nuremberg Rulings of Tribunal 1945-1946
- Nuremberg Prosecution Vols. I & II 1945-1946. [4 folders]
- Nuremberg Decision and Judgement 1945-1946
- Shipping, Trade and Industry Reports. [3 folders]
- Maps [in oversized cabinet in Special Collections]
- Selected Analyses of Documentary Evidence. [3 folders]
- American/British Phase Summary Proof
- Relations between Japan, USA, UK and Philippines
- China Phase
- Manchurian Phase
- Miscellaneous: Prisoners of War
- Prosecution analysis of defense documents
- Defense Documents: Reports, Exhibits 1947
- Misc. Defense Documents: Memos, Reports
- Hoshino Defense Materials 1946-1947
- Joseph Grew--statement 1946 Oct.
- Printed Material: Nazi-Soviet Relations
- Miscellaneous: Japanese Nationalism, Militarism
- Printed material: Events leading to WWII
- Printed Material: Criminal Conspiracy-Japanese War Trials
Official Records of the Tribunal. Transcript of the Proceedings.
- Box 27, Vols. 1-7
- Box 28, Vols. 8-13
- Box 29, Vols. 14-19
- Box 30, Vols. 20-25
- Box 31, Vols. 26-31
- Box 32, Vols. 32-37
- Box 33, Vols. 38-43
- Box 34, Vols. 44-49
- Box 35, Vols. 50-55
- Box 36, Vols. 56-61
- Box 37, Vols. 62-67
- Box 38, Vols. 68-73
- Box 39, Vols. 74-79
- Box 40, Vols. 80-85
- Box 41, Vols. 86-91
- Box 42, Vols. 92-97
- Box 43, Vols. 98-103
- Box 44, Vols 104-107 and Index of Defense Witnesses and Documents in Evidence and Partial General Index for the Defense Case, (1 vol.)
- Narrative Summary of the Record with Referent Page Numbers; n.d.
- Rejected Documents Arranged Numerically by Document Number, Defense Following Prosecution; n.d.
- Exhibits, 1-3915 1946-1948. In numerical order
- "Decisions of Imperial Conferences, Liason Conferences, Privy Council Meetings, Cabinet Meetings, Four Ministers’ Conferences, Five Ministers’ Conferences, Senior Statement’s Meetings, Supreme War Plans Council, Joint Conferences and Miscellaneous Conferences. As Found in the Prosecution's Evidence and Index," 1 vol., June 1947.
- Analyses of Documentary Evidence: I.P.S. Documents 1-4090 1946 January 11-July 23. In numerical order
- Analyses of Documentary Evidence: Analyses of 40 I.D.S. Documents 1947 April 8-1948 January 29. In numerical order.
- IMTFE Motions and Proceedings in Chambers, V ols. 2-3. Covering 1946-1947 but no in precise order chronological order. [Vol. 1 appears to be missing].
Boxes 110-118: Defense Summations divided into sections by subject, such as Conspiracy, International Law, Japanese-American Negotiations, etc; defense attorney responsible for each section is noted. n.d.
- Defense Summation Introductory Statement, Def. Doc. 3054, Section A (005571). Chief Japanese Counsel: Dr. Somei Uzawa.
- Summation. Argument on Law. Answer of the Defense to Prosecution’s Argument on International Law, Def. Doc. 2987 (005572). Dr. Kenzo Takayanagi, Counsel for Suzuki; George Francis Blewett, Eqr., Counsel for Tojo.
- Defense Summations. Analysis of the Indictment, Section C, Counsel: George Yamaoka; Conspiracy, Section D, Counsel: John G. Brannon; On Some Questions of International Law, Section E, Counsel: Ben Bruce Blakenay (005573).
- Defense Summations for Manchurian General Phase and China Phase, Def. Doc. 3071, 3034, Section F and Section G (005575). [Counsels for Manchurian Phase]: A. W. Brooks, Toshio Okamoto; [Counsel for China Phase]: Masayoshi Kanzaki.
- Defense Summation: Russian Phase, Def. Doc. 3099, Section H (005576). [Counsels]: Ben Bruce Blakeney, George A. Furness, March 1948.
- Defense Summation. Japanese - German - Italian Relations, Def. Doc. 3104, Section- I. American Counsel: Owen Cunningham; Japanese Counsel: Fujio Uchida, Nobuhiko Uchiba, 3 -4-1948.
- Defense Summation. Japan was Provoked into a War of Self Defense, Def. Doc. 3095, Section J. [Counsels]: Masao Migita, Yoji Hirota, William Logan, Jr.
- Defence [sic.] Document No. 3100, Section K (005579). IMTFE Summation for the Defence. Japanese - American Negotiations. [Counsel]: Ben Bruce Blakeney; Of Counsel: Nishi Haruhiko, Niiro Katsumi, Kato Denjiro, Shichida Motoharu, March 1948.
- Defense Summation, Def. Doc. 3102, Sections L-1, L-2, Section M (005580). Japan’s Military Preparedness, Not Aggresive in Nature. Counsel: George Francis Blewett, Ichiro Kiyose.
- Defense Summation for Sadao Araki, Def. Doc. 3107, Section N-1 (005581). [Counsel]: Yutaka Sugawara, Takaaki Hasuoka.
- Defense Summation on Kenji Dohihara, Def. Doc. 3103, Section N-2 (005582). American Defense Counsel: Frankline N. Warren, Chief Japanese Counsel: Kinjiro Ohta; Of Counsel: Takahisa Kato, Shigenaru Kimura, Tameo Hongo.
- Defense Summation for Kingoro Hashimoto, Def. Doc. 3008, Section N-3 (005583). [Counsel]: Itsura Hayasi, Kunji Kanase.
- Defense Summation for Shunroku Hata, Def. Doc. 3091, Section N-4 (004484)
- Defense Summation for Kiichiro Hiranuma, Def. Doc. 3108, Section N-5 (005585). American Counsel: F. E. W. Warren; Chief Japanese Counsel: Rokuro Usami.
- Defense Summation on Behalf of Okinori Kaya, Def. Doc. 3110, Section N-9 (005541). American Counsel: Michael Levin; Japanese Counsel: Tsuruo Takano, Yasumicho Tanaka, Kenji Fujiwara.
- Defense Summation for Koichi Kido, Section N-10 (005542). [Counsel: Shigetaki Hozumi, William Logan, Jr., Tokyo, Japan, 3-6-1948.
- Defense Summation for Heitaro Kimura, Def. Doc. 2928, Section N-11 (005543).
- Defense Summation Table of Contents; Reply Prosecution to Defense Summation
- Defense Summation on Behalf of Kuniaki Koiso, Def. Doc. 3092, Section N-12. American Counsel: Alfred W. Brooks; Japanese Counsel: Sammonji Shoshei, Takagi Kazuya, Saito Seiichi.
- Defense Summation for Iwane Matsui, Def. Doc. 3096, Section N-13 (005544). Counsel: F. J. Mattice; Kiyoshi Ito, Takayoshi Jodai.
- Defense Summation for Jiro Minami, Def. Doc. 2980, Section N-14 (005545). Counsel: aA. W. Brooks; Toshio Okamoto.
- Defense Summation for Akira Muto, Def. Doc. 3111, Section N-15 (005548). Counsel: Roger F. Cole; Shoichi Okamoto, Seiji Hara, Chichiro Saeki.
- Defense Individual Summation of Koki Hirota, Def. Doc. 3106, Section N-6 (005539). American Counsel: George Yamaoka, Japanese Counsel: Hanai Tadashi, Shibusawa Shinichi; Of Counsel: David F. Smith.
- Defense Summation of Naoki Hoshino, Def. Doc. 3112, Section N-Z (005586). Counsel: Goichiro Fujii, Masao Migita, Reisuke Matsuda, G. C. Williams, J. C. Howard.
- Defense Summation for Seishiro Itagaki, Def. Doc. 3009, Section N-8 (005587). Counsel: Henzo Yamada, Tomoji Sasagawa, Junkichi Banno, Floyf J. Mattice, March 1948.
- Summation of Shiratori, Def. Doc. 3101, Section N-21 (005550), n.d.
- Summation of Teiichi Suzuki, Def. Doc. 3090, Section N-22 (005551). American Counsel: Michael Levin; Japanese Counsel: Dr. Kenzo Takayanagi, Michitaka Kaino, Ippei Kato.
- Summation on behalf of the Defendant Shinegori Togo, Def. Doc. 3118, Section N-23 (005552). [Counsel]: Ben Bruce Blakeney; Of Counsel: Haruhiko Nishi, Katsumi Niiro, Denjiro Kato, Motoharu Schichida.
- Summation of Takazumi Oka, Def. Doc. #2991, Section N-16 (005547). Counsel: S. Allen Roberts, Shinji Somiya, Seichiro Ona. .
- Summation Part I “in behalf of Hisroshi Oshima” Def. Doc. 3116, Section N-17 (005540). American Counsel: Owen Cunnigham, Japanese Counsel: Tatsuki Shimanouchi, Fujio Uchida, Nobuhiko Ushioa.
- Summation for the Defense. Kenryo Sato Def. Doc. 3115, Section N-18 (005548). Defense Counsel J. N. Freeman, H. Kusano.
- Summation for Shigetaro Shimada Def. No. 3113, Section N-20 (005549)
- Defense Summation. 005553. Def. Doc. 2988, Section N-24. Tojo, Hideki.Kiyose,Ichiro, Japanese Counsel, George Francis Blewett, American Counsel. 347 pp.
- Defense Summation. 005554. Def. Doc. 3119, Section N-25. Umezu Yoshijiro. Ben Bruce Blakenay,[American Counsel]; Miyata Mitsuo, Ikeda Sumihisa, Ono Kisaku, Of Counsel. April 1948. 100 pp.
- Defense Summation on Personal Responsibility. 005574. Def. Doc. No. 3037. Kyoichiro, Kusano, Toshio Okamoto.n.d.; 35 pp, 3 errata sheets.
Boxes 119-121: Prosecution summation of Conspiracy, Summations re Each Defendant, and Prosecutions Reply to Defense Summation; n.d.
- Defense and Prosecution Summations. Prosecution Summation of Conspiracy: Sections A-E (005560), F-G (005561), H-I (005562), J-K (005563), n.d. (4 folders).
- Prosecution Summation. Introductory Statement by J. B. Keenan. 005555. Joseph B. Keenan, Chief Counsel, A.S. Comyns-Carr, Judge C. C. Hsiang, Pedro Lopez, Lt. Col. T. Mornane, Maj. Gen. W. C. F. Borgerhoff-Mulder, Brigadier H. C. Niolan, Mr. Robert Oneto, Brigadier R. H. Quilliam, Major General A. N. Vasiliev, Associate Prosecutors; Solis Horwitz of Counsel. N.d.,
- Reply of Prosecution to Defense Summation. Introduction. 005556, n.d.
- Reply of Prosecution to Defense Summation Part I. 005557, n.d.
- Reply of Prosecution to Defense Summation Part II. 005558, n.d.
- Reply of Prosecution to Defense Summation Part III. 005559, n.d.
- Prosecution Summations Vol. 1: Araki, Dohihara, Hashimoto, Hata. 005564, 5 March 1948.
- Prosecution Summations Vol. 2: Hiranuma, Hirota, Hoshino, Itagaki. 005565, n.d.
- Prosecution Summations Vol. 3: Kaya, Kido, Kimura, Koiso. 005566, n. d.
Prosecution Summations Vol. 4: Matsui, Minami, Muto, Oka. 005567, n. d.
Prosecution Summation Vol. 5: Oshima. 005568, n. d.
Prosecution Summations, Vol. 6: Sato, Shigemitsu, Shimada, Shiratori. 005569, n.d.
Prosecution Summations, Vol. 7: Suzuki, Togo, Tojo, Umezu. 005570, n.d.
- Chronological Summary of Prosecution's Evidence covering 1928-1945; an appendix breaks down by page number information on each of the accused; 1 vol. 1928-1945. 1 vol.
- The United States of America, et als. v. Araki, Sadao, et als. Orders by the Tribunal, [Proceedings and Motions], 1 volume. 
- The United States of America, et als. v. Araki, Sadao, et als. Rulings of the Tribunal, organized under such headings as Affidavits, Argument, Cross-Examination, Evidence, Objections, and Witnesses; 1 bound vol.
Boxes 125-130: Judgment of the IMTFE: majority, concurring and dissenting opinions. 1948 November
- Judgment. IMTFE. Part A, Chapters I, II, III: Establishment and Proceedings of the Tribunal, 11-1-1948.
- Judgment. IMTFE. Part B, Chapter IV: The Military Domination of Japan and Preparation for War, 11-1-1948 (2 folders).
- Judgment. IMTFE. Part B, Chapter V: Japanese Aggression Against China, Sections I and II, 11-1-1948
- Judgment. IMTFE. Part B, Chapter VI: Japanese Aggression Against the U. S. S. R., n.d.
- Judgment. IMTFE. Part B, Chapters VII: The Pacific War, 11-1-1948w4
- Judgment. IMTFE. Part B, Chapter VIII: Conventional War Crimes (Atrocities); 11-1-1948 (2 folders)
- Judgment. IMFTE. Part C. Chapter IX: Findings on Counts of The Indictment; Chapter X: Verdicts; 11-1-1948 (2 folders)
- Judgment. IMFTE. Annexes. (2 folders).
- Judgment. IMFTE: Separate Opinion of the President. U. S. A. V. Araki and Others, (010990); 11-1-1948.
- Judgment. IMFTE: Dissenting Judgment of the Member from France of the IMTFE (010211), 11-12-1948.
- Judgment. IMFTE: Concurring Opinion by the Honorable Mr. Justice Delfin Jaranilla, Member from the Republic of the Phulippines (010212), 11-1-1948
- Judgment. IMFTE: The United States of America versus Araki Sadao and others. Judgment of the Honorable Mr. Justice Pal, Member from India (010214), pp. 1-741 (2 folders).
- Judgment. IMFTE: The United States of America versus Araki Sadao and others. Judgment of the Honorable Mr. Justice Pal, Member from India (010214), pp. 742-1049.
- Judgment. IMFTE: Opinion of Mr. Justice Roling, Member from the Netherlands (010215), 11-12-1948.
- Judgment. IMTFE: Meeting (010216), Thursday 11-4-1948
- Judgment. IMTFE: Meeting (010217), Friday 11-5-1948
- Judgment. IMTFE: Meeting, Monday 11-8-1948
- Judgment. IMTFE: Meeting (010219), Tuesday 11-9-1948.
- Judgment. IMTFE: Meeting (010220), Wednesday 11-10-1948
- Judgment. IMTFE: Meeting (010221), Thursday 11-11-1948
- Judgment. IMTFE: Meeting (010222), Friday 11-12-1948
|Access||There are no restrictions.|
|Use Restrictions||There are no restrictions.|
Inventory of the Personal Papers of Frank S. Tavenner and Official Records from the International Military Tribunal for the Far East, 1945-1948, MSS 70-3, Box Number, Special Collections, University of Virginia Law Library.
|Unless otherwise stated, digital materials in our collections are available for use under a Creative Commons BY 4.0 License (CC-BY-4.0). For Use and Citation guidelines, see Special Collections Use Policy.|