|Creator:||Williams, G. Carrington|
|Title:||Papers and Official Records concerning the International Military Tribunal for the Far East, Created and Collected by G. Carrington Williams, 1945-1948|
|Description:||This collection consists of 86 boxes.|
|Location:||This collection is stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections before your visit to ensure your papers are available.|
|Photograph Collection:||View 0 digitized photographs|
|Digitized Content:||0 objects|
Collection Description & Arrangement
The collection consists of Williams' personal files regarding the defense of Hoshino and the International Defense Section in general (boxes 1-5), as well as copies of documents, exhibits, the transcript of the proceedings and other trial records (boxes 6-86).
Biographical & Historical Information
G. Carrington Williams, a 1942 graduate of the University of Virginia School of Law, was an International Defense Section (IDS) counsel for the International Military Tribunal for the Far East (IMTFE), also called the Tokyo War Crimes Trials. Williams was assigned the defense of Naoki Hoshino, who was the chief civilian official in the Japanese government for Manchuria. Williams served as President of the Planning Board from 1940-1941, and Chief Cabinet Secretary, from 1941-1944.
|Donor Information||Collection donated by G. Carrington Williams.|
- Defense counsel memos, letters 1946-1947
- Memoranda, reports, and personal notes re Hoshino 1946-58
- Indictment n.d.
- Personnel Information n.d.
- Law Books n.d.
- Law committee memo n.d.
- Miscellaneous defense materials n.d.
- Miscellaneous interviews, motions n.d.
- Miscellaneous literature n.d.
- Miscellaneous newspaper cuttings 1947
- Personal responsibility brief n.d.
- May motion of jurisdiction of tribunal 1946
- Motion to dismiss on behalf of all defendants n.d.
- Rough draft motion to dismiss n.d.
- Proceedings in chambers 1947 Oct.-Nov.
- "Trial of War Criminals"--Nuremberg n.d.
- IPS Documents n.d.
- Pearl Harbor--Congressional Reports 1945
- Memoirs of Konoye n.d.
- Yamashita opinions n.d.
- Class B and C materials n.d.
- Defense divisions n.d.
- Defense division--Pacific phase n.d.
- Opening statements of defense n.d.
- Trial Data n.d.
- Miscellaneous indices of defense and prosecution exhibits [1946-1948]
- Miscellaneous trial transcripts [1946-1948]
- Exhibits (Numbers 1-3220, incomplete) [1946-1948]
- Defense documents (Numbers 1-2622, incomplete) [1946-1948]
- Documents 1-10500 (incomplete) [1946-1948]
- Proceedings of the IMTFE n.d.
|Access||There are no restrictions.|
|Use Restrictions||There are no restrictions.|
Personal Papers and Official Records from the International Military Tribunal for the Far East, Created and Collected by G. Carrington Williams, 1945-1948, MSS 78-4, Box Number, University of Virginia School of Law Library Special Collections.
|Unless otherwise stated, digital materials in our collections are available for use under a Creative Commons BY 4.0 License (CC-BY-4.0). For Use and Citation guidelines, see Special Collections Use Policy.|