|Creator:||Meador, Daniel J.|
|Title:||Addendum to the Papers of Daniel J. Meador 1976-2003 [e]|
|Parent Collection:||The Papers of Daniel J. Meador 1959 - 1975|
|Description:||43 boxes (21 linear ft.)|
|Location:||SC - Basement|
|Photograph Collection:||View 0 digitized photographs|
|Digitized Content:||1 objects|
|Use Restrictions:||There are no restrictions.|
Collection Description & Arrangement
This addition to Professor Daniel J. Meador Papers (40 boxes, 18 linear ft.) is arranged according to the order in which it was found in his office at the University of Virginia School of Law. A large compilation of general papers, arranged by alphabetical order, relate to his professional work with different organizations, the Appellate Courts, the Justice Department, UVA Graduate Program for Judges, UVA Lectureship on Law and Religion and is followed by papers pertaining to specific legal cases. There is extensive documentation related to Mr. Meador’s fictional works and papers pertaining to his academic writings. The collection also contains photographs, certificates, printed materials and other miscellaneous items.
The General Papers comprised all professional files and teaching materials.
- 1996-2000; ABA – Amicus Curiae – Documents and correspondence pertaining to the ABA’s amicus curiae brief in U.S. Supreme Court case Dale v. Boy Scouts of America; memorandum from Daniel Meador to Leigh B. Middleditch on Amicus Curiae Briefs Filing; Report of the Subcommittee of the Operations and Communications Committee Regarding Amicus Brief Procedure
- 1976; ABA Conference on Selection of Federal Judges – Collection of speeches delivered at the ABA Conference on Selection of Federal Judges, Mar. 12-13, 1976, Vanderbilt University School of Law. Warren Christopher, “The Standing Committee on Federal Judiciary—Its Procedures, Performance, and Problems;” Joseph Doland, “The Prophylactic Effects of the Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary of the American Bar Association on the System of Selecting Federal Judges in the United States”; Dorothy W. Nelson, “The Criteria Applied By the American Bar Association Standing Committee;” Robert W. Meserve, “The Selection of the American Bar Association’s Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary”; Daniel J. Meador, “Confidentiality and Disclosure in the Work of the American Bar Association Committee on the Federal Judiciary;” Sen. Charles Percy, “Judicial Selection”; Herbert Brownell, “Reaching the Political Leadership in the Appointment Process”; William M. Beaney, “The ABA as a Constituency in the Selection of Federal Judge”s; David Cohen, “Challenge to the Organized Bar.”
- 1978; ABA Journal – 1978; Justice-improvements office isn’t short on ideas, A.B.A. J., Feb. 1978, at .180
- 1971, 1985; ABA London Conference – Correspondence, programs, invitations, and newspaper clippings associated with event
- 1988-1998; ABA Standing Committee on Federal Improvements – Correspondence and meeting minutes
- 1993-2008; Alabama General – Correspondence re U.S. v. Steinmetz and C.S.S. Alabama; Meador’s opinions on reform of judicial selection in Roe v. Alabama and through Evans (43 F.3d 574); and documents of general interest in the history of Alabama
- 1980 – 2006; Alabama State Bar – Correspondence and memorabilia
- 2003-2008; American Academy of Appellate Lawyers (AAAL) – Documents relative to Mr. Meador receiving Kathleen McCree Lewis Award for Appellate Justice in 2008, correspondence and documents regarding nominations of lawyers to become AAAL fellows.
- 1978-1980; American Bar Foundation – Invitation for Professor Meador to become a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- 1993, 1998; American Blind Lawyers Association – general information
- 1986; American College of Trial Lawyers – Documents and correspondence relative to the Samuel E. Gates Litigation Award.
- 1989; American Institute for Contemporary German Studies – Correspondence and newsletters
- 1991-1992; American Judicature Society (AJS) Conference for State Supreme Court Justices – Correspondence; drafts of proposal to create interstate conference for State Supreme Court Justices, written by Sandra A Ratcliff and Mr. Meador.
- 1983-1985; American Judicature Society Justice Award – Correspondence in re: Mr. Meador’s receipt of AJS Justice Award in 1983
- 1996-2002; American Law Institute – Correspondence, suggestions of Mr. Meador on development of ALI principles, transcription of remarks by William Rehnquist at 1998 ALI meeting
- 1990; American Society for Legal History – Correspondence and documents regarding Mr. Meador’s role as delegate for ASLH to the inauguration of UVA president John T. Casteen.
- 1988; Appeals, Court of Military – Report of the Department of Defense Study Group on the United States Court of Military Appeals (July 25, 1988)
- 1971 -1990); Appellate Advocacy: Brief Writing and Oral Argument Notes – Teaching materials for Appellate Oral Arguments, Legal Research and Moot Court, University of Virginia Law School. Handwritten notes included.
- 1982, Oct.; Appellate Chief Judges Meeting (Chicago) – Correspondence, event program and notes
- 1977-1979; Appellate Court Procedures – Correspondence with Justice Winslow Christian (1978), Judge Irving R. Kaufman (1978), Judge L. Thaxton Hanson (1978), Judge Harold Leventhal (1977); Memorandum, Daniel Meador, Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice (OIAJ), Experiment in Submission of Appellate Argument Through Oral Presentations of Counsel Without Written Briefs (1979)
- 1973-1987; Appellate Court Staffs – Correspondence, survey results of 1976 Appellate Judge’s Questionnaire compiled by Daniel Meador; Memorandum, Daniel Meador, Recommendations for Use of Central Staff Attorneys in Supreme Court of Florida (1973); Daniel Meador, Address at Seminar for Staff Attorneys, “Uses and Potential Uses of Staff Attorneys in Appellate Courts” (1977)
- 2005-2006; Appellate Courts – 2005 National Conference on Appellate Justice – Meador’s Address before the National Conference on Appellate Justice
- 1972-1979; Appellate Courts – Criminal Appeals – Documents relative to criminal law in appellate courts, handwritten notes, and research reports submitted to Prof. Daniel Meador by students.
- Correspondence with Judge Wilfred Feinberg (1972), John C. Danforth in re: Missouri Supreme Court Rule 27.26 (1973), Chief Justice H.E. Nichols (Georgia Supreme Court) in re: proposed review procedures in criminal cases (1979)
- 1973-1983; Appellate Courts – Federal Appellate Court Restructuring – Correspondence and documents related to the restructuring of the Federal Appellate Courts, which lead to the creation of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Included are documents from Mr. Meador’s tenure as Assistant Attorney General (OIAJ) and as member of the Advisory Council for Appellate Justice (1973). Also included are the following proposals and reports: Clement F. Haynsworth Jr., “A New Court, An Improvement in the Administration of Justice: A Proposal” (c. 1973); Paul D. Carrington and Maurice Rosenberg, “ A Preliminary Report on the Revision of the Federal Court Appellate System: a working paper to be completed and submitted to the Advisory Council for Appellate Justice” (Aug. 1973); Henry J. Friendly, Irvine Lecture delivered at the Cornell Law School, “Averting the Flood by Lessening the Flow” (Nov. 2, 1973); John P. Frank, Memorandum to Advisory Council on Appellate Justice, Supreme Court and Other Congestion (May 1973); Shirley M. Hufstedler, Address at Tenth Judicial Circuit Conference, “Some of My Best Friends are Lawyers” (July 20, 1978); correspondence with Irving S. Shapiro (1978), Martha McNeely (1978); Memoranda, Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice: Proposal For Improvements in the Federal Appellate Courts (June 21, 1978); A Proposal to Improve the Federal Appellate System (July 21, 1978); Appellate Court Reform (1978); New Appellate Court Tax Appeals (Feb. 7, 1979); New Appellate Court (Feb. 16, 1979); Memorandum, Scott Taylor to Daniel J. Meador, Administrative Courts (Nov. 1, 1978); Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice (OIAJ), A Proposal for Improvements in the Administration of Justice; Maurice Rosenberg, Assistant Attorney General, Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice, Before the S. Subcomm. on Taxation and Debt Management Generally, S. Comm. on Finance, Concerning the Tax Court Improvement Act of 1979—S. 1691 (Nov. 2, 1979; John M. Samuels, Tax Legislative Counsel, U.S. Department of the Treasury, Before the S. Subcomm. on Taxation and Debt Management, S. Finance Committee (Nov. 2, 1979); Unknown author, “Justice on Appeal; Finality and the Fabric of Federal Law” (n.d.) (2 folders)
- 1982-1988; Appellate Courts – Federal Appellate System – Correspondence and documents regarding reform of Federal Appellate Courts; J. Clifford Wallace, Circuit Judge, Address at the Earl Warren Legal Center, University of Ca. Berkeley, “The Nature and Extent of Inter-circuit Conflicts: A Solution Needed for a Mountain or a Molehill?” (Dec. 2, 1982); Wilfred Feinberg, Chief Judge, Remarks at Annual Law Day Dinner of the Federal Bar Council (May 3, 1982); correspondence with Paul D. Carrington (1987)
- 1993; Appellate Courts – Federal Judicial Center Seminar, Washington, D.C., 1993 – Documents regarding FJC Seminar: National Workshop for Judges of the U.S. Courts of Appeals. Mr. Meador served as a reporter in the event.
- 1972-1991; Appellate Courts – General – Judge Eugene A. Wright, “Selection, Training, and Use of Law Clerks in United States Courts of Appeals” (1972); Daniel Meador, “Professional Assistance for Appellate Judges: A Central Staff of Lawyers” (1972); Judge Irving L. Goldberg , “Preparation for Hearing Oral Argument in the United States Courts of Appeals” (Nov. 28, 1972); Reports by the Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice (OIAJ) (1978); correspondence with Chief Justice H. E. Nichols (GA Supreme Court, 1979), Judge J. Clifford Wallace (1982); James D. Hopkins, “Appellate Overload: Prognosis, Diagnosis, and Analeptic” (Mar. 13, 1980); Justice Macklin Femling, Remarks on Retirement from the Court of Appeal (Aug. 13, 1981); Outline of Daniel Meador’s remarks at Appellate Court Conference, Committee on Comprehensive Education (Philadelphia, 1989); Jim Dator, Remarks at the 12th Annual Seminar, Council of Chief Judges of Courts of Appeal, “What the Future Holds for Appellate Courts” (Nov. 1991) (2 folders)
- n.d.; Appellate Courts Notes for books – Notes regarding sources consulted by Mr. Meador when authoring books. [Possibly used for “Appellate Courts” and “Impressions of Law in East Germany: Legal Education and Legal Systems in the German Democratic Republic” (c. 1980-1999)]
- 1996-1997; Appellate Courts – Proposal to Enlarge Federal Appellate Capacity – Contains text (annotated), drafts, and correspondence regarding article/proposal “Enlarging Federal Appellate Capacity Through District Level Review” by Daniel Meador, published by Harvard Journal on Legislation, 1997; correspondence with Rep. Henry Hyde, Judge Norma L. Shapiro, Sen. Charles Grassley, Prof. and Dean Paul Carrington (Duke); Judge Martin L.C. Feldman, Prof. John Oakley (UC Davis)
- 1972-1975; Appellate Courts Restructuring—Advisory Council for Appellate Justice (ACAJ) –Memoranda, correspondence, and reports of ACAJ [Daniel Meador served on the council from 1971 until 1975]
- 1973-1980; Appellate Courts Review of Sentences – Correspondence with G. Robert Blakey, Sen. John L. McClellan, Sen. Roman L. Hruska; memorandum submitted by Meador to S. Subcomm. on Criminal Laws and Procedures, (1973); Statement of Professor Livingston Hall on S. 1 before S. Judiciary Comm. (Apr. 1973); handwritten notes for Mr. Meador’s congressional testimony, given in May, 1973
- 1981-1983; Appellate Courts – United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit – Background information on Mr. Meador’s advocacy for the creation of the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit during 1981-1982; several annotated articles; text, commentary, and background information of bills from 97th Congress: S. 1529, S. 2035, and H.R. 4762; Daniel Meador, statements before the S. Subcomm. on Courts, Comm. on the Judiciary, on S. 2035, Sept. 24, 1982; correspondence with Sen. Howell Heflin, Sen. Strom Thurmond, and Sen. Robert Dole; Warren E. Burger, Remarks at a 1982 American Bar Association meeting, “ The need for ‘time and freshness of mind--and reflection--indispensable to thoughtful, unhurried decisions’: annual report on the state of the judiciary” (1982)
- 2004, Nov.; Appellate Judges Education Institute (Dallas, TX) – Documents from the AJEI Council of Chief Judges of State Courts of Appeal Annual Conference in Dallas; correspondence
- 1974-1975, 2005; Appellate Justice Conferences – Correspondence, transcriptions, programs, and documents to the National Conferences on Appellate Justice
- 1976; Appellate Opinions: Non-Publication – Correspondence with Judge Clement F. Haynsworth, Justice Winslow Christian; annotated draft outline of “Publication and Citation of Fourth Circuit Opinions” by Mr. Meador; government documents.
- 1975-1976; Appellate Problems and Practices – General
- 1975-1976; Correspondence with Judge Thomas Gibbs Gee.
- 1995-1996; Appellate Reform – Letter to Sen. Hatch on S.956 (104th Cong.) – Correspondence with Sen. Orrin Hatch, Sen. Charles S. Robb, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Professor Carl Tobias (U. MT Law), Judge Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain, includes statement of Sen. Feinstein on S.956 (Sept. 13, 1995) and remarks of Judge O’Scannlain on said bill. [This documents detail Meador’s views on the bill].
- 1983; Appellate Staff Attorneys, Committee of – Correspondence with Steven A. Felsenthal
- 1983; Appellate Subject Matter Jurisdiction –Correspondence with Judge James R. Browing
- 1984; Appellate Subject Matter Organization – Correspondence with Justice Winslow Christian;
- “Appellate Division Superior Court of New Jersey: Final Study Report” by Winslow Christian.
- 1992; “Appointing U.S. Attorneys” – Text of Griffin B. Bell and Daniel Meador’s 1992 article “Appointing United States Attorneys,” Journal of Law & Politics; correspondence with Griffin B. Bell
- 1978- 1981; Attorney General Clippings –Media articles from 1978 to 1981 on the topic of the Attorney General; “The Nation’s Lawyer – Politics or Policy,” interview with Daniel Meador for University of Virginia Alumni News, March-April 1981; correspondence between Mr. Meador and journalists, 1988
- 1977-1979; Attorney General (England) – Correspondence; articles on the Attorney General of England; “The English Attorney General Compared” by Daniel Meador (1979)
- 1974-1984; Attorney General – Independent – S. Judiciary Comm. Hearings on S. 2803, a proposal to create an independent Department of Justice; correspondence with Prof. Antonin Scalia in re: Mr. Meador’s proposed Attorney General reforms (1979), Judge Joseph T. Sneed (1979), Griffin B. Bell (1978), Wade H. McCree, Jr. (1979), Judge Louis F. Oberdorfer (1980); Draft of “Role of the Attorney General” by Daniel Meador (1979); “The Case Against Edwin Meese III For Attorney General: A Review of the Independent Counsel’s Report Prepared by Common Cause” (1984)
- 1979; Attorney General Interviews – Documents covering Mr. Meador’s efforts to make the role of the attorney general more independent of political functions; transcripts of addresses by Attorney General Griffin B. Bell; several transcriptions of meetings with Mr. Meador and Justice Department officials regarding reform of the attorney general role.
- 1999; Auburn University – Correspondence with Dean John G. Heilman of Auburn University in re: Meador’s selection for Award for Alumni Achievement in the Humanities
- 1977-2009; Bell, Griffin – Extensive correspondence with Griffin B. Bell (1977-2008) [Includes significant commentary by Judge Bell and Mr. Meador on developments in the judiciary and DOJ subsequent to the Carter administration]; Richard A. Schneider, Atlanta Bar Salutes Griffin Bell: ‘A Lawyer Involved in Mankind’, Fulton County Daily Rep., Mar. 1, 2004, at 7; Alyson M. Palmer, Griffin B. Bell, 1918-2009, Fulton County Daily Rep., Jan. 6, 2009, at 1.
- 2005-2008; Birmingham Kiwanis Club – Documents and correspondence relative to Meador’s speech at the Birmingham Kiwanis Club on “The Merits of Appointed Judges” (2006); several articles that relate to the topic; correspondence with Governor Bob Riley (2006)
- 1987-1992; Bork, Judge Robert – Documents, articles, and correspondence relative to Meador’s congressional testimony at the Robert Bork hearings. Correspondence with Judge Robert Bork (1990), President Ronald Reagan (1987), Hugh Thomas McCann, Jr. (1989), Sen. Howell T. Heflin (1987), Sen. Joseph Biden (1987), Sen. Richard Shelby (1987), Judge John W. Kern III (1988), Judge Anthony Kennedy (1987), WHCS Howard H. Baker, Jr. (1987), activist Polly Strand (1987); transcript of Daniel Meador’s congressional testimony in support of Robert H. Bork’s nomination to be an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, Sept. 25, 1987
- 1989; Brookings Institution – Seminar on Administration of Justice, April 7-9, 1989, Williamsburg, VA – correspondence
- 1993; Brookings Institution Seminar on Administration of Justice, May 1993 – Correspondence with Warren Cikins; documents corresponding with the 1993 seminar.
- 1987-2005; Brookings Institution – Correspondence with Justice Stephen Breyer (2005), Warren Cikins (1993-1996), Sen. Howell Heflin (1993); documents related to the 1987 and 1991 Brookings Institution Seminar on the Administration of Justice in Charlottesville, VA and the 1992 Symposium on the Future of the Civil System of the United States in Charlottesville
- 2002-2006; Cahaba River Society – Correspondence with Sen. Richard Shelby
- 1996; California Judicial Administration Conference – Correspondence with Judge Carl West Anderson; documents regarding 1996 California Judicial Administration Conference (San Diego, Jan. 25-26)
- 1980; Carter-Mondale Transition Planning Group – Briefing book prepared by the Carter Administration’s Policy-Planning Transition Staff (2 folders)
- 1986-1995; Carter Presidential Center – Correspondence, programs, newsletters
- 1995-2002; CEELI [East European Law Initiative] – Correspondence re: Mr. Meador’s Pro-Bono analysis of law in Eastern Europe; documents from the American Bar Association Central and East European Law Initiative (CEELI) submitted to Mr. Meador for review and input, including “Analysis of the Draft Judicial Police Act for the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina” (1996), “Draft Constitutional Law on the Status of Judges for the Kyrgyz Republic” (1996), and “Law of St. Petersburg on the System of State Authorities of St. Petersburg” (1996)
- 1972, Nov. 28; Circuit Judges’ Seminar – Documents and memorabilia, including text of “Condensation of Remarks to Ninth Circuit Law Clerks Schools”, 1970-72, Judge Frederick G. Hamley
- 2003; The Citadel – Military College of South Carolina – Alumni info sent to Mr. Meador (class of 1948)
- n.d.; Civil Procedure – Summary Judgment Problem – Course materials from Prof. Daniel Meador’s Civil Procedure course at the University of Virginia School of Law
- 1977-1978; Class Actions – Extensive correspondence, memoranda and documents from the Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice (OIAJ) in re: S. 3475, 95th Cong. (Class Action Bill, largely written by Mr. Meador and his staff); text and multiple drafts with correspondence detailing the revision process of the bill; statements of Griffin Bell and Daniel J. Meador before the Senate Committee on the Judiciary concerning class actions (Nov. 29, 1978); correspondence with Sen. Edward Kennedy (2 folders)
- 1978-1980; Class Actions – Documents regarding S. 3475, 95th Cong.; “Proposed Revision of Class Damage Procedures,” Daniel J. Meador, American Bar Association Journal, Jan. 1979, at 48
- 1968-1969; Classes, University of Alabama: Legal Process – Prof. Daniel Meador’s “Introduction to the Legal Process” course at the University of Alabama
- 1998-1999; Commission on Structural Alternatives for the Federal Courts of Appeals – Administrative
Documents, correspondence, and memoranda
- 1999, 2001-2002; Commission on Structural Alternatives for the Federal Courts of Appeals Congressional Activity – Ronald L. Olson, Testimony before the Senate Subcommittee on Administrative Oversight and the Courts, Senate Committee on the Judiciary, Review of the Report by the Commission On Structural Alternatives for the Federal Courts of Appeals Regarding the Ninth Circuit and S.253, the Ninth Circuit Reorganization Act (1999); Daniel J. Meador, Statement before the S. Subcomm. on Administrative Oversight and the Courts, S. Comm. on the Judiciary, on S.253 (July 16, 1999); memoranda, correspondence, and documents pertaining to S. 186 and S.253 (Federal Ninth Circuit Reorganization Acts of 1999); correspondence with Leigh B. Middleditch (1999) and Russell R. Wheeler (2002).
- 1998-1999; Commission on Structural Alternatives for the Federal Courts of Appeals – Media coverage of the Commission and its work
- 1998-2001; Commission on Structural Alternatives for the Federal Courts of Appeals – Miscellaneous Correspondence
- 1998-2001; Commission on Structural Alternatives for the Federal Courts of Appeals: Ninth Circuit –
- Memoranda, correspondence, and research materials. Memoranda written by Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, Shirley M. Hufstedler, Griffin B. Bell; articles written by Amy B. Godlewski: “Reasons and Arguments Advanced for Splitting the Ninth Circuit” and “Reasons and Arguments for Not Dividing the Ninth Circuit” (n.d.)
- 1998; Commission on Structural Alternatives for the Federal Courts of Appeals: Research Conference – Correspondence, memoranda, and documents pertaining to March 20-21, 1998 conference; Summary and transcript of proceedings at research conference; Arthur D. Hellamn, “Investigating the Large Circuit: A Research Outline” (Feb. 12, 1998); Carl Tobias, “Narrowing the Focus of the Federal Appellate Study” (May 20, 1998); correspondence with Paul D. Carrington, Prof. Carl Tobias
- 1998-1999; Commission on Structural Alternatives for the Federal Courts of Appeals: Public Comments – Tentative Draft Report (Oct. 1998); Comments of Judge Thomas P. Griesa , Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Judge Kathleen P. March, Alan B. Morrison, the Federal Bar Association, the Bar of the City of New York, the Chicago Council of Lawyers, the Los Angeles Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, Judge Stanley F. Birch Jr., Judge Ralph K. Winter, Judge Procter Hug Jr., Judge Lawrence K. Karlton, and Justice William Rehnquist on the Tentative Draft Report of the Commission on Structural Alternatives for the Federal Courts of Appeals, October 1998 (1998); 1999; Charles Cameron & Lewis A. Kornhauser, “Should We Divide the Ninth Circuit? A Team Model of Geographical Circuits” (Oct. 11, 1999)
- 1998-1999; Commission on Structural Alternatives for the Federal Courts of Appeals Witness Statements – Testimony transcripts and correspondence; transcripts of testimonies before the Hearings of the Commission: Judge J. Clifford Wallace (Apr. 3, 1998), Judge Gerald Bard Tjoflat (Mar. 23, 1998), Judge Joseph W. Hatchett (Mar. 23, 1998), Judge Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain (Apr. 24, 1998), Prof. Judith Resnik (Apr. 24, 1998), Judge Jon O. Newman (Apr. 24, 1998), Edwin G. Schallert (Apr. 20, 1998), Judge James L. Oakes (Apr. 3, 1998), William W. Schwarzer (Apr. 24, 1998), Ralph K. Winter
- 1996, Mar; Compleat Appellate Judge Seminar, Washington DC, Mar. 1996 – Documents regarding seminar; text of Concluding Observations by Daniel Meador at seminar; correspondence with Judge Elizabeth B. Lacy (handwritten, 1996), Judge Paul J. Kelly, Jr. (1996); transcript of Conference Opening Address by Judge Stephen G. Breyer (Mar. 28, 1996)
- 1995-1996; Conference – 11th Judicial Conference (Panama City, FL: Apr. 1996) – correspondence with Judge Gerald Bard Tjoflat (1996), Judge John Godbold (1996); Judge Lynwood Smith (1996); “Report on the State of the Eleventh Circuit,” Judge Gerald Bard Tjoflat, 1995 Eleventh Judicial Circuit Conference (Ashville, NC: May 26, 1995)
- 1995; Conference – Middle Atlantic State-Federal Judicial Relationships Conference – Text of Daniel Meador’s “Closing Remarks: A Summation” in Proceedings of the Middle Atlantic State-Federal Judicial Relationships Conference (Williamsburg, VA: Nov. 14-15, 1995); correspondence (1995)
- 1983-1984; Constitutional Law, U.S. Military Academy, Spring 1984 – Constitutional Law Exam and teaching materials for Mr. Meador’s course, visitor professor at West Point (Spring semester, 1984); handwritten notes
- 2008-2009; Cornell Law Review, 2008 – Early draft of A Few Thoughts on Judicial Supremacy: A Response to Professors Carrington and Cramton, Patrick E. Higginbotham, 94 Cornell L. Rev. 637 (2009); annotated early draft of Reining in the Super-Legislature – The Carrington-Cramton Supreme court Proposal, Daniel J. Meador; 94 Cornell L. Rev 657 (2009); March 8, 2008 draft of Judicial Independence in Excess: Reviving the Judicial Duty of the Supreme Court, Paul D. Carrington & Roger C. Cramton, 94 Cornell L. Rev. 587 (2009). Correspondence with Cornell Law Review
- 2005-2006; Cutler Project [School of Public Policy at The University of Virginia] – Documentation of 2005 project to establish a school a public policy at the UVA named after Lloyd Cutler (eventually became the Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy). Collection includes internet research; correspondence with faculty members and alumni; several reports, including “Toward the Creation for a Distinguished School of Public Policy at the University of Virginia: Establishing an Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Degree Program in Public Policy and Public Service: Proposal of Faculty Task Force on Public Policy to Provost’s Office, University of Virginia,” “the Lloyd N. Cutler Center for Law and Public Policy: A Joint Venture of the University of Virginia School of Law and the Miller Center of Public Affairs,” “Sustaining American Democracy Through Education: Toward the Creation of a Distinguished School of Public Service at the University of Virginia: Proposal of Provost’s Task Force on Public Policy.”
- 1986-1994, 2004; Eastern German Studies Group (ESGS – formerly GDR Studies Association) – Newsletters and documents mentioning Mr. Meador’s publications on Eastern Germany, articles, and correspondence
- 2005, Oct.; European Trip – Correspondence and documents; includes correspondence with Prof. Joan Steinman
- 1992-1994; Federal Circuit Advisory Committee – Documents from committee; list of committee members; extensive correspondence between members discussing committee business, including David M. Cohen, Andrew P. Vance, Fred E. McKelvey, Judge Helen Wilson Nies, and Peter D. Ehrenhart; minutes from committee meeting on Feb. 3, 1994; draft of instructions for use of CAFC Bulletin Board System for Electronic Dissemination of Precedential Opinions (1993)
- 1991-1995, 2002; Federal Circuit Bar Association – Text of remarks of Daniel J. Meador at the Special Session In Observance of the 10th Anniversary of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (Oct. 1, 1992); correspondence with Judge Glenn Archer (1995), Griffin B. Bell (1992), Warren I. Cikins (1992)
- 2001; Federal Circuit Bar Association’s Third Bench and Bar Conference –Text of Daniel Meador’s remarks (May 18-21, 2001, White Sulphur Springs, WV); programs and documents from conference; correspondence with Judge H. Robert Mayer (2001), Judge S. Jay Plager (2001).
- 2002; Federal Circuit Conference – Program and documents from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 20th Anniversary Judicial Conference (May 8, 2002, Washington, DC); correspondence with Judge H. Robert Mayer (2002); outline of Mr. Meador’s statements at conference (2002).
- 2006-2007; Federal Circuit Conference, California – Documents from conference entitled “The Federal Circuit Judges Come to California (Feb. 20, 2007, Marina del Rey, CA); correspondence with Judge Richard Linn (2006), Judge Paul R. Michel (2006)
- 1978 -1979; Federal Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals for the (CAFC) – Documents pertaining to proposed establishment of the CAFC during Mr. Meador’s tenure as AAG; draft of “Memorandum on Proposal to Merge the Court of Claims and the Court of Customs and Patent Appeals,” Charles Haworth (July 5, 1978); text of S. 677 (96th Cong.) in the Senate of the U.S. (Feb. 22, 1979); text of “A New Federal Appellate Court,” Daniel Meador, presented at the Annual Meeting of the Federal Bar Association (Sept. 13, 1978, Washington, DC)
- 1982, 1991-1993; Federal Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals for the (CAFC) – Miscellaneous documents, articles and correspondence pertaining to CAFC; documents and correspondence in re: the “Federal Courts Improvements Act and Contract Disputes Act Amendments of 1991”; commentary and text of said bill (to amend the Contract Disputes Act and the Little Tucker Act); information in re: obtaining, classifying and donating OIAJ documents; correspondence with Charles A. Haworth (including index to Haworth’s OIAJ documents, 1991), Carter Presidential Library staff (1992), Judge S. Jay Plager (1991), Judge Helen W. Nies (including her opinion on the bill proposing the eliminating the “Little Tucker Act” from CAFC’s jurisdiction, 1991), Judge Paul R. Michel; Judge Howard T. Markey (1991)
- 1982-2002; Federal Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals for the (CAFC) – Media articles featuring Mr. Meador that discuss the impact the creation of the CAFC has had on patent law; correspondence with Steven Flanders (2007), Judge Eric G. Bruggink (2006), Judge Glenn Archer (1996), Judge Helen W. Nies (1990), Judge Howard T. Markey (extensive correspondence from 1982-1990), Rep. Robert W. Kastenmeier (1981), AG William French Smith (1982); draft of Proposed Rules of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, George E. Hutchinson (Oct. 1, 1982); several reports, studies and articles pertaining to impact of CAFC on patent law; brief biographies of CAFC judges
- 2002-2003; Federal Claims, U.S. Court of – Conference, Oct. 3-4, 2002 – Annotated text of Mr. Meador’s remarks at the U.S. Court of Federal Claims 20th Anniversary Conference; correspondence with Judge John P. Wiese (2002), Judge Eric G. Bruggink (2002), and Professor Richard H. Seamon (2002)
- 1982-1983; Federal Courts – 1983 Congressional Hearings – Correspondence with Rep. Robert Kastenmeier and Sen. Bob Dole; text of statement of Daniel J. Meador before the H. Subcomm. on Courts, Civil Liberties, and the Administration of Justice on H.R. 1970 (Apr. 27, 1983); text of statements of Sen. Bob Dole, Daniel J. Meador, and Maurice Rosenburg before the S. Subcomm. on Courts, Comm. on the Judiciary, on S. 645 (Apr. 8, 1983); text of A Comment on the Chief Justice’s Proposals, Daniel J. Meador, 69 A.B.A. J. 448 (1983).
- 1977 -1982, 1989-2002; Federal Courts Diversity Jurisdiction –Documents and correspondence pertaining to Mr. Meador’s activism towards reducing diversity of citizenship jurisdiction of the federal courts. Text of testimonies before the S. Comm. on the Judiciary concerning Federal Diversity of Citizenship Jurisdiction (Mar. 21, 1979); before the S. Subcomm. on Improvements in Judicial Machinery, Comm. on the Judiciary, concerning Diversity Jurisdiction (Mar. 17, 1978); Class Actions (Nov. 29, 1978); before the H. Subcomm. on Courts, Civil Liberties and the Administration of Justice, Comm. on the Judiciary, concerning Legislation on Federal Diversity of Citizenship Jurisdiction and the Jurisdiction of United States Magistrates (Mar. 8, 1979); and Legislation to Limit the Exercise of Diversity Jurisdiction (Sept. 28, 1977); correspondence with Sen. Edward Kennedy (1979), Jeffrey S. Giancola (1979), Sen. Strom Thurmond (1979-1981), Sen. Paul Laxalt (1981), Rep. M. Caldwell Butler (1981), Rep. Robert McClory (1981), AG William French Smith (1982), Richard “Pete” Velde (1982), Judge Wilfred Feinberg (1989), Leigh B. Middleditch (1990); OIAJ documents and memoranda pertaining to diversity jurisdiction (1979); Working paper 1980-3 for Choice of Forum in Diversity Cases: Analysis of a Survey and Implications for Reform, Kristin Bumiller; text of testimony of Jonathan C. Rose before the H. Subcomm. on Courts, Civil Liberties and the Administration of Justice, Comm. on the Judiciary, in re: Legislation on Federal Diversity of Citizenship Jurisdiction (July 14, 1982); Circulation draft of Beyond Diversity: Crafting a Federal Multistate, Multiparty Jurisdiction, Thomas D. Rowe, Jr., and Kenneth D. Sibley (May 1985)
- 1980-1991; Federal Courts General – Text of statement of Maurice Rosenberg before the H. Subcomm. on Intellectual Property and Judicial Administration, Comm. on the Judiciary, concerning H.R. 2450 (June 19, 1991); Correspondence with Richard “Pete” Velde; text of opinion editorial piece The Federal Courts: A Plan for Action, submitted to the Washington Post by Daniel J. Meador (Oct. 26, 1982); Text of The Future of the Judiciary – an Update, J. Clifford Wallace, Presented to the Conference on the judiciary, (Williamsburg, Va., Mar. 1985)
- 1978-1982; Federal Courts Improvement Act – Correspondence with Judge Howard T. Markey (1980 - 1982), Rep. J. Kenneth Robinson (1980), Fred F. Fielding (1982), AG William French Smith (1982), Warren Cikins (1982), AAG Jonathan Rose (1982)
- 1989; Federal Courts Study Committee – Collection of several reports by the Federal Courts Study Committee, submitted to the Subcommittee on Court Structure [2 folders]
- 1973-2003; Federal Judicial Center – Correspondence with Judge Marvin Aspen (1999), Judge Levin Campbell (1994), Judge William Schwartzer (1990), Russell Wheeler (1989-2003), Judge Martin V. B. Bostetter, Jr. (1989), John C. Godbold (1987-1988), Kenneth Crawford (1986), Alice O’Donnell (1982), A. Leo Levin (1981-1987), Judge Edward D. Re (1981), William Eldridge (1980-1988); Text of Managing the Flow of Civil Cases: Report of Seminar E, Hon. Oren R. Lewis and Prof. Daniel J. Meador, District Judges Conference, 59 F.R.D, 203 (Feb. 20-23, 1973); Text of Consumers of Justice: How the Public Views the Federal Judicial Process, Daniel J. Meador, Seminar for Federal Appellate Judges, Federal Judicial Center (Mar. 11, 1975).
- 1974-1986; Federal Judiciary – Administrative – Draft of “Proposals for Screening Procedures and Use of Legal Assistants,” District of Columbia Court of Appeals (Daniel J. Meador, consultant); correspondence with Mark W. Cannon (Administrative Assistant to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court); memorandum “Administrative Leadership for the Judicial Branch,” Daniel Meador, revised, Mar. 15, 1978); text of lecture of Warren E. Burger at the American Enterprise Institute Conference ( Washington, DC, Dec. 14, 1978); text of OIAJ report “Proposals for New Administrative Direction of the Federal Judiciary” (Aug. 3, 1979); text of “Statement by the Honorable Collins J. Seitz, Chief Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit Before Senate Subcommittee on Improvements in Judicial Machinery in re: The Judicial Conference and Councils in the Sunshine Act” (Mar. 7, 1980)[with 1980 letter from Judge Seitz to Sen. Dennis Deconcini]; significant correspondence with Rep. Peter W. Rodino, who sent drafts of two bills to Mr. Meador for review: “Federal Judicial Administration Act of 1986” and “Supreme Court Panel Procedure Enabling Act of 1986”.
- 1981; Federal Jurisdiction – Abortion Bill Hearing S. 158 – Correspondence with Sen. Max Baucus and Prof. Charles Alan Wright; text of statement of Paul M. Bator prepared for delivery before the S. Subcomm. on the Constitution, Comm. on the Judiciary (May 20, 1981); Congress’ Power to Create Gaps in the Jurisdiction of Federal Courts: text of statement of Laurence H. Tribe before the H. Subcomm. on Courts, Civil Liberties, and the Administration of Justice (June 3, 1981); Text of prepared statement of Laurence H. Tribe on Congressional Authority, by Redefining “Human Life” or Otherwise, to Overrule the supreme court’s Abortion Decision or to Thwart its Enforcement (May 21, 1981)
- 1987-1992; Foreign Correspondence Folder 1 – Correspondence and documents pertaining to Eisenhower Exchange Fellowships, Inc. (1989), Delphi International Education and Training (1990), Project on Constitutionalism and Democracy (seminar conducted by UVA faculty for visiting judges, lawyers and professors from Hungary, Apr. 1-2, 1991); extensive collection of correspondence with international judges, professors, and students; documents and correspondence pertaining to UVA international student exchange and scholar-in-residence programs.
- 1992-2000; Foreign Correspondence Folder 2 – Extensive correspondence with international judges, professors, and students; documents and correspondence pertaining to UVA international student exchange and scholar-in-residence programs; correspondence with Judge David Ipp (Visiting scholar in residence at UVA, 1993-1995), Herrn Albrecht Magen (Germany, 1993); documents from visit of Brazilian Magistrates to UVA (Sept. 11, 1992)
- 1990-1994; Fulbright Alumni Association – Correspondence and documents from the association
- 1989-1990, 2003, 2006; Fulbright Association UVA Chapter – Correspondence and documents of UVA’s chapter of the association during its existence from 1989 until its discontinuation in 1990. During this time, Mr. Meador served as President.
- 1999; Georgia Commission – Correspondence with Hardy Gregory, Jr.
- 1983; German Democratic Republic – Extensive collection of detailed reports of Daniel Meador’s observations of various cities, educational institutions, churches, politics, and other topics pertaining to the GDR; educational materials collected from law schools in the GDR and translated into English, including transcripts, student publications, course descriptions; extensive collection of interviews with professors of law and law school administrators of various universities and government officials; Lawyers Association of the German Democratic Republic, Constitution (3 folders)
- 1983-1984; German Democratic Republic, 1983 IREX Fellowship – Correspondence, documents, and newspaper clippings from Daniel J. Meador’s 1983 three-month IREX Fellowship to study the legal education and court systems of the GDR. Geschäftsverteilungsplan des Oberlandesgerichts Stuttgart für das Geschäftsjahr 1979 (Dec. 14, 1978) [Work Distribution Plan of the Higher Regional Court of Stuttgart for Financial Year 1979]; Daniel J. Meador, Proposal for Study in the German Democratic Republic (Feb. 1983); Daniel J. Meador, German Appellate Judges: Career Patterns and American-English Comparisons, 67 Judicature 16 (1983) [Photocopy]; correspondence with Prof. Calvin Woodard , Prof. Dr. se. R. Schüsseler (Martin Luther U. Halle Wittenberg), Sen. John Sherman Cooper, Peter H. Pfund, Maj. Paul Nelson (USMLM)
- 1989-1991; German Democratic Republic, Dec. 1-10 Trip with Calvin Woodard – Letter from Prof. Calvin Woodard to Justice Stewart G. Pollock (May 28, 1991) in re: Daniel Meador and Mr. Woodard’s participation in a Dec. 4, 1989 mass-demonstration in Leipzig and the UVA Law School Graduate Program for Judges [detailed account, 4 pages]; Daniel J. Meador, Leipzig, December 4, 1989 [detailed account of Mr. Meador and Prof. Calvin Woodard’s participation in a Dec. 4, 1989 mass-demonstration in Leipzig, which resulted in the invasion of the Leipzig Stasi headquarters, GDR. 3 pages]; correspondence with law professors and officials in the GDR
- 1983-1992; German Democratic Republic – General – c. 1981; Fletcher Knebel, The Berlin Wall is Twenty Years Old (German Information Center, New York); c. 1983; GDR photographs, travel brochures and other memorabilia; “Conception for the Structure of Training and Further Education of Jurists in the German Democratic Republic, Resolution of the Politburo of the Central Committee of the Socialist Unity Party” (May 31, 1988), Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the GDR (June 8, 1988) [Policy statement on legal education in the GDR]; Daniel Meador, Legal Education in East Germany: The 1988 Policy Statement [commentary on policy statement listed above]; Hanno Reinert, “The Legal Environment for Business Transactions in the German Democratic Republic, Remarks for the German-American Lawyers Association” (Apr. 5, 1990) [Drafter: Peter H. Pfund].
- 1983-1984; German Democratic Republic Trip – Correspondence between Mr. Meador and Linda Perkins [handwritten notes from Mr. Meador reporting from the GDR during IREX Fellowship, several detailed letters from Linda Perkins briefing Mr. Meador on events at UVA and in Charlottesville]; correspondence with Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr., Lord Leslie Scarman; letter from Daniel Meador to Dean Richard A. Merrill in re: detailed report on Mr. Meador’s studies and observations in the GDR (Oct. 3, 1983)
- 1983; German Democratic Republic: Universities – Law Departments – Documents and research materials pertaining to law departments of universities in the GDR.
- 1978, Nov; 1980, Mar.; German Interviews – Several interviews with West German judicial officials
- 1983-1984; Germany, 1983-1984 Newspaper Clippings – Clippings and newsletters from the German Information Center, East German universities (Humboldt Universität and Martin-Luther Universität, Halle-Wittenberg).
- 1990-1991; Germany – Daniel J. Meador, East Meets West: Beyond the Rarefied Policy Discussions on the Economic, Military and Diplomatic Effects of Unifying East Germany and West Germany Lies the Task of Joining Two Discrete Legal Systems, Nat’l L.J., Mar. 26, 1990, at 13; transcriptions of several interviews conducted by Daniel Meador with Dr. Wolfgang Mönikes (Ministerium für Bildung und Wissenschaft, Bonn, June 3, 1991); Dr. Korte (Rechtspflege, Justiz Ministerium, Bonn, June 3, 1991); Herrn Gerrit Stein (Federal Ministry of Justice, Bonn, June 3, 1991); Manfred Johnen (Ministerium der Justiz, Brandenburg, Potsdam, June 5, 1991); Dr. Rudiger Annecke (Staatssekretar in Ministerium für Justiz, Mecklenburg, Vor Pommern, Berlin, June 6, 1991); Herr Rainer Fauper, (Brandenburg Ministry of Justice, Berlin, June 6, 1991); Dr. Ronald Brachman (Justice Ministry, Saxany-Anhalf, Magdeburg, June 6, 1991); Herr Klaas (Ministry of Justice for Thuringia, Erfurt, June 7, 1991) [in re: East German judiciary in transition. Handwritten notes also included]; cassette tape that includes audio of interviews listed above; correspondence with interviewees listed above (1991), several other West German officials (1990-1991), Ray A. Meyer, Esp. (Legal Advisor, U.S. Embassy Bonn, 1991), Thomas L. West, III (1991, UVA Law, Class of 1990)
- 1991; Germany – Several German articles and documents in re: the reunification of Germany [some translated into English]; Prof. Dr. Herwig Roggemann, Richterwahl und Rechtspflege in den Ländern der früheren DDR [Judge Election and Administration of Justice in the Former GDR States], 1991 Neue Juristische Wochenschrift (NJW), Heft 8 [Collection includes both English translation by Colette Asel]; Der Neuaufbau der Thüringer Justiz – Eine Bilanz nach 6 Monaten [The Reorganization of the Thueringen Justice Department: an Equilibrium After Six Months], 16 Thüringer Ministerium der Justiz (May 8, 1991) [Collection includes both English translation by Colette Asel]; Horst Henrichs, Arnold Kremer & Bernd Hucke, Ehemalige DDR-Richter als Richter im geeinten Deutschland? – Materialien zur Orientierung bei der Beantwortung einer schwierigen Frage [Former GDR Judges as Judges in the Reunified Germany? Orientation Materials for Answers to a Difficult Question], NJW 449 (1991) [Collection includes both English translation by Colette Asel]; Speech of the Federal Minister of Justice [Bundesjustizminister] Dr. Klaus Kinkel before the Stuttgart Bar Association [Rechtsanwaltskammer] (May 2, 1991) [collection includes German and English version translated by Rüdiger Dossow, LL.M. ‘91].
- 1990-1991; Germany Newspaper, Magazine Clippings
- 1976-1980; Germany – Bundesgerichtshof [Federal Court] – Research materials for Mr. Meador’s study of West German appellate courts; Geschäftsverteilungsplan des Bundesgerichtshofes für das Jahr 1978 [Work Distribution Plan of the Federal Court for Financial Year 1978]; Oberlandesgericht Karlsruhe, Geschäftsverteilungsplan des Bundesgerichtshofes für das Jahr 1978, Beschluß des Präsidiums vom 20 Dezember 1977 [Higher Regional Court of Karlsruhe, Work Distribution Plan of the Higher Regional Court of Stuttgart for Financial Year 1979, Bureau decision of Dec. 20, 1977]; Press Conference at the Bundesgerichtshof in Karlsruhe, statement by Dr. Gerd Pfeiffer, President of the Court (Nov. 16, 1978) [German version and English translation]; interviews by Daniel Meador of several West German judicial officials; Geschäftsverteilungsplan des Bundesgerichtshofes für das Jahr 1980 [Work Distribution Plan of the Federal Court for Financial Year 1980]
- 1988-1990; Germany: Daniel Meador, Judicial Education in West Germany – Annual Program of the German Academy for Judges [translated by Thomas L. West, III, UVA Law class of 1990]; Daniel J. Meador, Judicial Education in West Germany, Nasje News, Spring 1990, at 10 [National Association of State Judicial Educators] [several drafts of article included in collection].
- 1982-1997; Germany – General – “Daniel J. Meador’s Account of German Trip” (Mar. 12-21, 1982) [detailed report of Mr. Meador’s 1982 trip to Federal Republic of Germany and German Democratic Republic, 56 pages]; correspondence with Prof. Kurt Wünsche (1990), James A. Hart (1990), Gist Fleshman (1996), Prof. Heinz-Dietrich Steinmeyer (1997); Berlin Law Letter, Issue No. 4 (July 15, 1990) [Features articles “U.S. Companies in East Germany” and “East Germany Resistance to Private Property,” written by Ackermann & Schultze-Zeu with cooperation with James A. Hart
- 1984-1989; Germany: Panorama DDR: Publications – Several English-language issues of Panorama DDR’s Dokumentarische Information, Artikel Kommentare, and Dokumentation (2 folders)
- 2000-2002; Germany Trip – Correspondence with Prof. Volkmar Götz, Institut für Völkerrecht der Universität Göttingen Abteilung Europarecht in re: Mr. Meador’s trip to Germany in 2000
- 2003, Nov.; Germany Trip – Correspondence and memorabilia from Mr. Meador’s 2003 trip to Germany
- 2002; Germany Trip – Tübingen & Freiburg – Correspondence and expense book.
- 1987-1905; Graduate Program for Judges – General – Teaching materials, class rosters, correspondence, memorabilia, and documents.
- 1995-2007; Graduate Program for Judges – Past Judges – Correspondence with Justice Kermit V. Lipez (1996-1997), Justice Jeannette T. Knoll (1996), Assist. AG Eleanor D. Acheson (1996), Gov. Lawton Chiles (1997), Judge Martha Warner (1997), Dean Donald L. Burnett, Jr. (1997), Judge Stephen J. McEwen, Jr. (1995-2002), Justice William R. Vance (2002), Justice James D. Heiple (2003); Obituary, Justice Louis B. Meyer (2002); Hon. Frank X. Gordon, Jr., A Judicial Leader Passes, Ariz. Att’y, Sept. 2003, at 52 [tribute in memory of Justice James Duke Cameron]
- 1965-1995; Habeas Corpus – Correspondence with Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr. (1983, 1988), Herbert Wechsler (1979); text of Habeas Corpus since the Trilogy, Remarks by Daniel J. Meador before the Judicial Conference of the Fifth Circuit, Dallas, TX (Apr. 18, 1968); text of The Impact of Federal Post Conviction Review on the Role of the State Trial Judge, address of Daniel J. Meador before the National Conference of State Trial Judges (Aug. 7, 1965); correspondence and draft of “Post-Conviction Review Act of 1979” (a bill to provide for post-conviction relief and review in the district courts of sentences and convictions imposed by State courts) OIAJ (Dec. 7, 1978); text of The Administration’s Proposed Reforms in Habeas Corpus Procedures (Mar. 4, 1982); Transcript of Proceedings: Hearings before the S. Comm. on the Judiciary on Habeas Corpus Reform (Nov. 8, 1989); correspondence with Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr. (1990); “Toward a More Just and Effective System of Review in State Death Penalty Cases,” Ira P. Robbins (Reporter), Recommendations of the American Bar Association Task Force on Death Penalty Habeas Corpus (Oct. 1989) (3 folders)
- 1992-1998; Halle Exchange – Additional correspondence and documents pertaining to Virginia-Halle (Martin Luther University) student exchange program, including trip by UVA students to Halle in the summer of 1994, trip by Martin Luther University (Halle) students to U.Va. in 1993; correspondence with Dr. Karl-Heinz Millgramm (1992-1998), Dr. Gerfried Fischer (1993), Dean Robert E. Scott (1994-1995); Moot Court files from Martin Luther University (1994)
- 1993-1994; Halle Exchange Ad Hoc Committee – Correspondence with Dean Robert E. Scott and Dr. Karl-Heinz Millgramm (1993)
- 1995, Sep.; Halle Students Visit to UVA – Correspondence, articles, and documents regarding law students visiting UVA from Martin Luther University in Halle, Germany; correspondence with Justice Anthony Kennedy, Dr. Karl-Heinz Millgramm, Judge Wilfred Feinberg
- 1996, 1999; Halle Students Visit – Documents and correspondence pertaining to Mr. Meador’s trip to give a lecture at Martin Luther University in Halle, Germany in 1996; correspondence with Dean Robert E. Scott, Dr. Karl-Heinz Millgramm
- 1981-2005; Heflin, Howell – Correspondence with Sen. Howell Heflin; correspondence and documents pertaining to the memorial ceremony of Sen. Howell Heflin; letter from Mr. Meador to Elizabeth Ann Heflin
- 1974-2000; Herrmann, Joachim – Extensive correspondence with Joachim Herrmann, Professor of Law at University of Augsburg. Herrmann was a visiting professor at U.Va. during 1970-1971, and gave a lecture at U.Va on April 16-17, 1980; Joachim Herrmann, The Anglo-American as Opposed to the Continental Approach to Criminal Law, 14 De Jure 39 (1981) [University of Pretoria]; Joachim Herrmann, Proceedings of the Conference sponsored by The American National Section Association Internationale de Droit Pénal, The Goethe Institute of Chicago, De Paul University College of Law: The German Criminal Justice System: The Trial Phase – Appellate and Review Proceedings, 2 Nouvelles Études Pénales 65 (Chicago, Apr. 12, 1980); Syllabus for Joachim Herrmann’s course at the University of Chicago Law School: Comparative Legal Institutions (Spring Term 1974).
- 1963-1996; Honor System (UVA) – Documents and correspondence re: reform of the University Honor System; Texts of UVA Honor System orientation addresses given by Arthur Kyle Davis, Jr. (1963), Virginius Dabney (1964), T. Braxton Woody (1966), Edward Alvey, Jr. (revised, 1966), Charles H. Whitebread (1970); excerpts from Report to the Secretary and Chief of Staff of the Air Force, by the Special Advisory Committee on the United States Air Force Academy [in re: academic dishonesty] (May 5, 1965); text of The Honor System: An Address Delivered to the Entering Class at the University of Virginia, Daniel Meador (Aug. 31, 1976); c. 1981; Report of Honor System Study Committee; Correspondence with UVA President John T. Casteen (1992-1993), Dean Richard A. Merrill (1981-1983), Leigh B. Middleditch, Jr. (1981); results of poll of UVA. Faculty re Honor System; Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Cheating and Plagiarism to the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (UVA), 1984.
- 1973-1975; Hruska Commission – Correspondence with A. Leo Levin (1973-1974), Justice Winslow Christian (1974); documents and correspondence pertaining to Commission on Revision of the Federal Court Appellate System (chaired by Sen. Roman Hruska); text of Staff Attorneys in Appellate Courts, Daniel J. Meador, Director of Appellate Justice Project, National Center for State Courts (May 1974); Report of American Bar Association Special Committee on Coordination of Judicial Improvements; Statement of Paul D. Carrington, Commission on Revision of Federal Court Appellate System (Apr. 21, 1975)
- 1985; Inauguration of UVA President Robert O’Neil – Memorabilia, correspondence, documents, and articles pertaining to the inauguration. Mr. Meador served as the chairman of the Committee on the Inauguration; minutes of several meetings of Committee on the Inauguration (Mar - Sept., 1985.)
- 1984-1987; Institute for the Study of German-American Relations (ISGAR) – Correspondence and documents pertaining to ISGAR events on Mar. 1-2, 1985 and Apr. 9-10, 1987.
- 1985-1986; Inter-circuit Panel Testimony – Documents, correspondence and background information pertaining to hearings on S. 704, H.R. 4238 and H.R. 4149 (94th Cong., 1985) [Mr. Meador testified on a panel in re: proposal to establish an Inter-circuit Tribunal of the U.S. Courts of Appeals]; statement of Judge John C. Godbold before the H. Subcomm. on Courts, Civil Liberties, and the Admin. Of Justice, on H.R. 1970 (Sept. 22, 1983); Text of “Description of Amendment to S. 704 to be offered by Sen. DeConcini” (ca. 1985); Congressional testimony of Daniel Meador, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Judge Ralph K. Winter, Sen. Strom Thurmond, Harry T. Edwards, Patricia M. Wald, James M. Spears, Judge Pierce Lively, and A. Leo Levin in re: S. 704, opening statement of Sen. John P. East (Oct. 9, 1985); testimony of Prof. Samuel Estreicher and Prof. John Sexton in re: S. 704 (Oct. 12, 1985); correspondence: Sen. Howell Heflin (1985), Sen. John P. East (1985), Justice John Paul Stevens (1983-1985), Robert L. Stern (1985), Justice Warren Burger (1985), Sen. Roman Hruska (1986); The Changing Role of the Supreme Court, speech by Justice William Rehnquist at Florida State University (Feb. 6, 1986) [annotated]; Congressional testimony of Erwin N. Griswold, Robert Bork, Prof. Samuel Estreicher, Prof. John Sexton, and Robert M. Landis in re: Intercircuit Tribunal (Feb. 27, 1986); editorial comments and draft of An Intercircuit Panel of the United States Courts of Appeals: The Costs of Institutional Change, Daniel J. Meador (June 10, 1986) (2 folders)
- 1981-1983; Intermediate Court of Appeals of Virginia – Extensive correspondence between members of the Virginia State Bar Committee on the Judiciary, during the time of the establishment of Court of Appeals of Virginia; correspondence with John W. Pearsall (1981), N. Samuel Clifton (1983), Charles E. Payne (1982), Waller H. Horsley (1982), Colin J.S. Thomas, Jr. (1982-1983), Thomas T. Lawson (1981-1983), Terrence Ney (1982), Robert T. Mitchell, Jr. (1982), Hugh L. Patterson (1981-1982), Judge Joe R. Greenhill (1981); City of Richmond Bar survey results in re: creation of Intermediate Appellate Court in Va.; draft of bill to create Intermediate Court of Appeals, written by Mr. Meador (June 10, 1981); The Committee on the Judiciary Report and Recommendations to the Virginia State Bar Council, Relating to the Proposal for Reform of the Appellate Court System (Oct. 23, 1981); Joint Conference Committee Report on Va. H.B. 235 (1983); text of Va. H.B. 437 (1982), Va. S.B. 313 (1982); text of Waller H. Horsley’s report on the Sept. 10, 1982 public hearing on Intermediate Appellate Court Proposals (Richmond, Va.); text of statement of Charles E. Payne before the Va. S. Comm. on Courts of Justice (Sept. 10, 1982, Richmond) (3 folders)
- 1979-1980; International Society of Barristers (St. Maarten) – Documents and correspondence from Jan. 1980 ISB Convention in St. Maarten (Island); text of Daniel Meador’s speech Improving the Administration of Justice (Jan. 1980)
- 2003-2007; Jackson, Robert Center – Materials pertaining to the Jackson Center’s 50th Anniversary Celebration of Brown v. Board of Education II; correspondence with Judge Thomas N. O’Neill, Jr. (2003-2005), Prof. Todd Peppers (2003-2005), Gregory Peterson (2004-2005); draft of Supreme Court Law Clerks’ Recollections of Brown v. Board of Education II, Gordon B. Davidson, Daniel J. Meador, Earl E. Pollock, & E. Barrett Prettyman, Jr. (edited and moderated by John Q. Barrett, Oct. 20, 2005)
- 1989, 2000-2005; Judge Advocate General (JAG) – Richard H. Mills, Superintendent’s Column, Bugle (Ill. Veterans Home at Quincy), June 1989, at 3; text of Address of Maj. Gen. Richard H. Mills (RET), Korean Council, U.S. Navy League, ROK Army Club, Seoul, Korea, Apr. 25, 2000; Richard M. Mills, 50th Anniversary Cease Fire Korean War, July 2003 [text of Judge Mills’s report on visit to Korea]; annotated draft (Fall 2003) and partial text of Daniel Meador’s Justice in Fatigues: With JAGC in Korea, 14 Experience 28 (2003-2004); correspondence with Judge Richard H. Mills (2005), staff of Experience Magazine (2003)
- 1952, 1991-1993, 2001-2002; Judge Advocate General School, University of Virginia (JAG School) –Documents and memorabilia; University of Virginia Alumni News, Feb. 1952; Maj. David E. Bell, Charles L. Decker Auditorium Dedication, Law Day, 1 May 1991, Assembly (incomplete name of publication), Nov. 1991 at 15; correspondence with Col. Richard D. Rosen (2001-2002), Col. Thomas M. Strassburg (1991), Col. John T. Edwards (1991)
- c. 1974-1976; Judges Bibliography – Teaching and research materials, handwritten notes and typed lists of bibliographies of judges [many documents are damaged]
- c. 1976-1977; Judges, English Courts - Newspaper clippings, correspondence, annotated articles, and handwritten research notes in re: Mr. Meador’s book project on Appellate Judges; correspondence with British officials in re: Mr. Meador’s 1976 visit to England; draft of chapter from “Project on American Appellate Judges” entitled: “The English Appellate Judges,” Daniel Meador, Mar. 1976.
- 1985-1994; Judges General – Statement of John O. McGinnis before the S. Subcomm. on Constitution of the Comm. on the Judiciary, on S.J. Res 232 and S.J. Res. 233, Mar. 21, 1990; Newspaper clippings
- 1976-1979, 1991-1998, 2003-2005; Judicial Conference, Fourth Circuit – Memorabilia and correspondence regarding Annual Judicial Conferences of the Fourth Circuit; Remarks of Peter G. Fish at the Centennial of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit: 1891-1991; correspondence with Judge William W. Wilkins, Jr. (2003), Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson, III (1995-1996)
- 1959-1975; Judicial Conference, Fourth Circuit – Memorabilia and documents pertaining to annual conference of Fourth Circuit; correspondence with Judge Simon E. Sobeloff (1959-1964), Judge Ben C. Connally (1960), Marvin R. Summers (1960), Sherman L. Cohn (1960); text of proposal: A Study to Ascertain the Factors that Influence the Choice of Forum in Diversity Cases, Marvin R. Summers; correspondence with Judge Clement F. Haynsworth, Jr. (1973-1974), Prof. Charles Alan Wright (1973), Prof. Bernard Ward (1973) in re: panel discussion at June 1973 conference
- 1976-1979; Judicial Correspondence, Fourth Circuit – Correspondence with Judge Clement Haynsworth
- 1984-1986; Judicial Conference, Fourth Circuit, June 26-28, 1986 – Memorabilia and documents from 1986 and 1985 conferences; Fourth Circuit Annual Report, Samuel W. Phillips (Circuit Executive); correspondence with Maurice Rosenberg (1986), Judge J. Dickson Phillips, Jr. (1985)
- 2001-2002; Judicial Conference, Fourth Circuit, June 26-28, 2002 – Memorabilia and correspondence
- 1994-1995; Judicial Conference, Middle Atlantic State-Federal Judicial Relationships Conference – Memorabilia and correspondence (Nov. 14-15, 1994)
- 1993-1995; Judicial Conference of the U.S. Long Range Planning Committee – Correspondence with Judge S. Jay Plager (1995), Judge Randall R. Rader (1995), Judge Otto R. Skopil, Jr. (1993-1995); written statement submitted by Daniel Meador for hearing (Dec. 9, 1994) before Long Range Planning Committee, Judicial Conference of the U.S.; Federal Court Governance: Why Congress Should – and Why Congress Should Not – Create a Full-Time Executive Judge, Abolish the Judicial Conference, and Remove Circuit Judges from District Court Governance, Federal Judicial Center: Prepublication version (Feb. 1994).
- 1983-1988; Judicial Conferences, Federal Circuit – memorabilia and correspondence regarding Judicial Conferences of various circuits; correspondence with Judge John C. Godbold (1983-1984), Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr. (1983), Judge Howard Markey (1987); annotated draft of Judicial Education in the United States, Daniel Meador (for speech at LA. Judicial Conf., New Orleans, Oct. 6, 1986)
- 1976-1990; Judicial Selection – OIAJ documents pertaining to merit selection of Federal Judges and U.S. Attorneys during the administration of President Carter; Daniel J. Meador, Assistant Attorney General, Address before the Virginia Bar Association Conference of Laymen and Lawyers: Selecting Federal Appellate Judges (Nov. 19, 1977); interview by Aaron Epstein of Griffin B. Bell, Attorney General, Philadelphia Inquirer (Sept. 26, 1977); Report of the American Judicature Society, Special Committee to Study Federal Judicial Selection (Jan. 1977); newspaper clippings; correspondence with Griffin B. Bell (1978), Associate Attorney General Michael J. Egan (1978), Sen. Richard G. Lugar (1978), Sen. John W. Warner (in re: judicial selection in Va., 1981), Brooksley Landau (1981), Judge James T. Carlisle (1987), John M. Ryan (1988), A. Leo Levin (1989); Statement of Attorney General Griffin Bell on selection of Federal Judges and U.S. Attorneys (Feb. 9, 1978); Joseph D. Tydings, Merit Selection Commissions For Federal Judges: A Practical Approach, Remarks before the Rule Day Club, Baltimore (c. 1978); Statement of Larry A. Hammond: Hearing on Judicial Selection Before the H. Select Comm. on Aging, 96th Cong. (1980); Henry J. Abraham, Reflections on the Recruitment, Nomination, and Confirmation Process to the Federal Bench (Sept. 23, 1980)(University of Virginia); text of Law as an Apolitical Art, J. Harvie Wilkinson III, remarks before the Bar Association of the City of Richmond (Law Day, May 2, 1988); documents pertaining to North Carolina SB 218 and SB 219 (Session 1989) (2 folders)
- 1977-1979; Judicial Selection, U.S. Circuit Judge Nominating Commission – Extensive collection of documents from OIJA and Office of the AG in re: U.S. Circuit Judge Nominating Commission; correspondence with Prof. Jefferson B. Fordham (1977), George H. Williams (1977), Judge Arlin M. Adams (1977), Prof. Paul A. Freund (1977), Prof. Peter G. Fish (1978), J. Phillip Jordan (1977-1978), Assoc. AG Michael J. Egan (1977-1979); handwritten notes, annotated drafts of memoranda
- 2009; Judiciary Act of 2009 – Carrington, Cramton, Meador. Correspondence and documents pertaining to Conference “Rethinking the Laws Governing the Structure and Operation of the Supreme Court” (Oct. 14, 2009, George Washington University); correspondence with Judge Gerald Bard Tjoflat, Judge Carolyn Dineen King, Judge Gilbert Merritt
- 1992-1994; Justice Department Conference, 1993 – Reports and correspondence pertaining to Conference on Enhancing the Integrity and Efficiency of the U.S. Department of Justice, April 16-17 and June 18, 1993; correspondence with Lloyd N. Cutler (1993), Prof. Mark H. Moore (1993), Jack E. Brown (1993), Paul D. Carrington (1993), AAG Frank Hunger (1994); Report of the First Meeting of the Conference to Ensure the Integrity and Enhance the Efficiency and Effectiveness of the United States Department of Justice, Mark H. Moore (ed.), June 1993, incomplete draft; remarks of Attorney General Janet Reno at the National Conference on Civil Justice Reform (Apr. 21, 1993); transcripts of April 16 and April 17 Sessions of the Conference (3 folders)
- 1977-1979, 1990-1996, 2001-2009; Justice, Department of – Daniel Meador, Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice, part of The Annual Report of the Attorney General of the United States, 1977; correspondence with Attorney General Eric Holder (2009), Justice Stephen Breyer (2004), AG. John Ashcroft (2001), Judge Robert G. Doumar (1992), John L. Howard (1991), SG Kenneth W. Starr (1991), Thomas Boyd (1990), AG. Griffin B. Bell (1977); newspaper clippings, several featuring Daniel Meador; A Program for Improvements in the Administration of Justice, Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice [OIAJ] (May 9, 1977); Status Report, OIAJ (Aug. 4, 1978); For Immediate Release, OIAJ (Mar. 3, 1978) [Press release in re: dedication of Neighborhood Justice Center in Kansas City, MO]; OIAJ documents; Daniel J. Meador, Appointing the New Attorney General, 1992 [submitted to Washington Post for Op. Ed article, unpublished]
- 1977-1981, 1993-1994; Justice, Department of – Additional Documents, A – Daniel Meador, handwritten notes documenting selection and nomination as Assistant Attorney General, U.S. DOJ (Jan. 1977); correspondence with Judge J. Clifford Wallace (1978), Strom Thurmond (1981), Janet Reno (1993), Paul D. Carrington (1993), Assist. AG Frank W. Hunger (1994); Warren E. Burger, Remarks to the Seminar on Legal History at the National Archives (Sept. 21, 1978); Daniel J. Meador, Drafts of Attorney General Speech for ABA Assembly Luncheon (Aug. 1 and 8, 1978); Ralph C. Cavanagh, Draft of Department of Justice Testimony on S. 680 before the S. Judiciary Comm. (July 27, 1979); Merrill D. Peterson, UVA Professor of History, draft of speech, Edmund Randolph and His Times (June 8, 1979); Daniel Meador, Statement before the H.R. Subcomm. on Courts, Civil Liberties and the Administration of Justice, Comm. on the Judiciary and the H.R. Subcomm. on Consumer Protection and Finance, Comm. on Interstate and Foreign Commerce, Concerning the Dispute Resolution Acts S. 423, H.R. 2863, and H.R. 3719 (June 6, 1979); Proposals for New Administrative Direction of the Federal Judiciary, OIAJ (Feb. 6, 1979)
- 1979-1989; Justice, Department of – Additional Documents, B – James F. Hoobler, Paper Presented at the Joint Miami National Meeting of the Operations Research Society of America, The Institute of Management Science, Management by Objectives and Program Evaluation in the Department of Justice (Nov. 1976); Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice, Summary of OIAJ Activities, February 1977 – August 1979 (Aug 3, 1979); Justice Management Review Scoping Paper [1984, unknown author]; U.S. Department of Justice; Department of Justice Manual, Introduction to the Department of Justice, The President the Attorney General and the Department of Justice [section A-1.100, overview extracted from a presentation by Daniel J. Meadorat the White Burkett Miller Center, U.Va, Jan. 4-5, 1980]; U.S. Department of Justice, Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys, Offices of the United States Attorneys (July, 1989); correspondence with A G Dick Thornburgh (1989)
- 1976-1994; Justice, Department of – Additional Documents – C – Miscellaneous newspaper clippings, correspondence, and documents pertaining to the Justice Department and OIAJ. Report of the Department of Justice Committee on Revision of the Federal Judicial System, The Needs of the Federal Courts (Jan. 1977); Correspondence with Joanie Ehrenworth (1979), Richard Cinquegrana (1985), Edwin Meese III (1984-1985); Edward R. Slaughter Jr., Testimony before the H.R. Subcomm. on Transportation and Commerce, Concerning the Study required by section 203(h) of the Amtrak Reorganization Act of 1979 (Mar. 11, 1980); William French Smith, Remarks before the Federal Legal Council (Oct. 29, 1981); William French Smith, Remarks before the National Conference of U.S. Attorneys (Nov. 16, 1981); William French Smith, Address before the House of Delegates of the American Bar Association (Aug. 10, 1982); Edwin Meese III, Remarks before the American College of Trial Lawyers (Mar. 19, 1985); Dede Newport, Department of Justice Staff Assistant, 1985 draft of the study of the development and implementation of the Department of Justice’s Sensory Assistance Center
- 1977-1979; Justice, Department of - Magistrates Bill – Memorandum in Support of Department of Justice Bill to Enlarge Magistrate Jurisdiction, Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice (Apr. 21, 1977); Daniel J. Meador, Testimony before the S. Subcomm. on Improvements in Judicial Machinery, Comm. on the Judiciary, Concerning Legislation on the Jurisdiction of United States Magistrates (Mar. 30, 1979)
- 1977-1979; Justice, Department of – Newspaper clippings & Memorabilia corresponding to Mr. Meador’s tenure at DOJ
- 1990-1991; Justice Department Program – Remarks of Daniel Meador: The Inaugural Symposium, the Role of the Attorney General (Printed in 1 Justice 4, 1990) [A draft copy is also included in collection]; Remarks of Warren Christopher: The Inaugural Symposium, the Role of the Attorney General (Printed in 1 Justice 6, 1990) [A draft copy is also included in collection]; correspondence with SG Kenneth W. Starr (1990), Warren Christopher (1990), Robert Bork, (1990), Judge Levin H. Campbell (1990)
- 1988, 1994-1998; Justice! / Golden Mean Project – Extensive documentation pertaining to proposed, unpublished documentary film “The Golden Mean: A Quest for Justice” (originally called the “Justice!” project, led by Mary Lee Stapp); multiple drafts of application sent to The National Endowment for the Humanities (Sept. 1994); correspondence with Mary Lee Stapp (1988, 1994-1995), Dwight Opperman (1998), Dennis Hauptly (1994-1995)
- 1988-1997; Justice! / Golden Mean Project – Additional and very extensive documentation pertaining to project; correspondence with Neville Clarke (1993-1996), Dennis Hauptly (1995), Mary Lee Stapp (1988-1996), Lord Denning (1990), Justice Patrick O’Connor (1989), Nigel Pascoe (1989); several drafts of synopsis of multiple episodes of proposed television documentary (1995) (2 folders)
- 1982-1995; Korean War Memorial – Correspondence; text and correspondence from Daniel Meador’s editorial letter, A U.N. Flag for the Korean War Memorial, Wash. Post, July 7, 1992, at A18; Memorabilia from dedication of Korean War Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C.
- 1996-2011; Korean War Veterans Association – Documents, articles and memorabilia related to Korean War and Mr. Meador’s 1997 trip to Korea; correspondence, including 1996 letter to the editor of the Wash. Post by Mr. Meador; correspondence with Nimrod T. Frazer; text of Three US Tanks and a ROK Rifle Company in Mountain Defense, Northeast Korea-Luke’s Castle-Winter 1953.
- 1973-2000, Lamar, L.Q.C. –Research materials and correspondence in re: for Daniel Meador’s scholarship on L.Q.C. Lamar; Augustus Longstreet Heiskell, Address for the unveiling of the portrait of L.Q.C . Lamar (Mar. 12, 1987); correspondence with Dean David E. Shipley (1992-1993), Dean Carolyn Ellis Station (1993), Sen. Trent Lott (1997) (2 folders)
- 1995-1998; Law and Religion Lectureship, Fund Contributors – Correspondence with donors
- 1993-1995; Law and Religion, Meador Lecture on, 1996 – Correspondence with Dean Robert E. Scott (1993), Griffin B. Bell (1994); 1993; Memorandum of Understanding to establish Meador Lectureship
- 1995-1997; Law and Religion, Meador Lecture on – David Little, Professor, Remarks at the AALS Section on Law and Religion: Thomas Jefferson’s Religious Views and their Influence on the Supreme Court’s Interpretation of the First Amendment (Working Paper, Dec. 28, 1975); David W. Louisell, Professor, Remarks at the AALS Section on Law and Religion: Does the Constitution Require a Purely Secular Society? (Working Paper, Dec. 28, 1975) [Outline of remarks]; Douglas Sturm, Professor, Remarks at the AALS Section on Law and Religion: The “Path of the Law” and the Via Salutis: A Naturalistic Perspective (Working Paper, Dec. 28, 1975); Samuel E. Ericsson, How Dare You Sue One Another! A Biblical Way to Resolve Legal Disputes (Christian Legal Society, Implications: A Perspective on Issues Facing Christians in Law, Merrifield, VA); Into the 90’s: Promoting Justice, Religious Liberty and Reconciliation, Christian Legal Society (spring 1990) [entire newsletter]; correspondence
- 1996-1997; Law and Religion, Meador Lecture on, 1997 – Correspondence, articles, and documents pertaining to the inaugural 1997 Meador Lecture on Law and Religion, delivered by Judge John T. Noonan, Jr.; John Witte, Jr., The Values of Interdisciplinary Legal Study, Inaugural Lecture for the Jonas Robitscher Professorship of Law and Ethics in the Professions (The Turner Village Conference Center, Emory U., Nov. 1, 1994) [text of address]; correspondence with Judge Dorothy T. Beasley (1995-1997), Prof. John Witte, Jr. (1996), Judge John T. Noonan, Jr. (1997), Dean Robert E. Scott (1997); Memorandum of Understanding and other documents establishing the Meador lectureship; John Witte, Jr., Law, Religion, and Human Rights, 26 Israel Yearbook on Human Rights (1996) [text]; Program for 1997 Meador Lecture: Religious Liberty at the Stake, Judge John T. Noonan, Jr. (Oct. 9, 1997)
- 1998-1999; Law and Religion, Meador Lecture on, 1999 – Correspondence, articles, and documents pertaining to the 1999 Meador Lecture on Law and Religion, delivered by David Novak; correspondence with Dean Robert Scott (1998-1999), Acting Dean John Jeffries (1999), Prof. David Novak (1999), Prof. Arthur F. Stocker (1999); Bruce Buckley, Are Law Schools Holier Than Ever? The National Jurist, Nov. 1999, at 20 [text]
- 1999; Law and Religion, Meador Lecture on, 1999: Invitation List – Documents and correspondence pertaining to 1999 Meador Lecture on Law and Religion, including lists of invitees
- 2000-2202; Law and Religion, Meador Lecture on, 2001 – Correspondence, articles, and documents pertaining to the 2001 Meador Lecture on Law and Religion, delivered by John Witte, Jr.; correspondence with Dean Robert E. Scott (2000), Prof. John Witte, Jr. (2000-2002); John Witte, Jr., An Apt and Cheerful Conversation on Marriage, (pre-publication copy sent to Virginia Law Review, Oct. 25, 2001); John Witte, Jr., Law and Religion in Interdisciplinary Context: A Christian Sonata (reading for Meador Lecture Seminar, Oct. 12, 2001)
- 2002- 2012; Law and Religion, Meador Lecture on – Correspondence, articles, and documents; correspondence with Jean Bethke Elshtain, speaker at 2003 Meador Lecture; Correspondence with Judge Michael McConnell, speaker at 2005 Meador Lecture
- 1959-2008; Law School (University of Virginia) – General Articles featuring Mr. Meador, documents, memorabilia, and correspondence in reference to UVA Law School.
1994-1995; Law School Miscellaneous – General files. Includes presentation speech for Loyd Norton Cutler, Thomas Jefferson Award in Law, 1995; memoranda re Moot Court competition; Dillard Scholarships, and other related materials.
- 198, 1991, 1994-1996; Louisiana Supreme Court – Documents pertaining to Mr. Meador’s consulting work with LA Supreme Court; The Supreme Court of Louisiana: Recommended Internal Procedures for Writ Applications and the Use of Staff Attorneys (Feb. 1983); Report to the Supreme Court of Louisiana on Internal Processes Concerning Writ Applications (Mar. 6, 1991); Report to the Supreme Court of Louisiana on Internal Decisional Processes and the Use of Three New Staff Attorneys (Aug. 13, 1996); correspondence with Judge Pascal F. Calogero, Jr.
- 1995-2000; Meador-Rosenburg Award – Correspondence in re: the ABA Meador-Rosenburg Award
- 1986-1998; Miller Center Commissions and Conferences – Proceedings of the Commission on Presidential Disability and the 25th Amendment (May 23, 1986); Report of the Miller Center Commission on Presidential Transitions and Foreign Policy: Transferring Responsibility: The Dangers of Transition (1986); Report of the Miller Center Commission on the Selection of Federal Judges: Improving the Process of Appointing Federal Judges (1986); Final Report of the National Commission on the Separation of Powers: The Separation of Powers: The Roles of Independent Counsels, Inspectors General, Executive Privilege and Executive Orders (The Miller Center, UVA, Dec. 7, 1998).
- 1982-1984; Miller Center Conference on the Office of Chief Justice, Oct. 15, 1982 – Memoranda, Correspondence with Peter G. Fish (1982-1984), AAG Jonathan Rose (1982), Paul Nejelski (1982), Kenneth W. Thompson (1982), Mark Cannon (1982-1983), Prof. Jeffrey Morris (1982), Justice Potter Stewart (1982), Judge Cornelia G. Kennedy (1983), Dean Ernst John Watts (1983); Mark W. Cannon, Innovation in the Administration of Justice, 1969-1981: An Overview, Excerpt from “The Politics of Judicial Reform,” Philip L. Dubois, Lexington Books, 1982 [collection includes alternate versions] [2 folders]
- 1991-2005; Miller Center, General – Memorabilia, reports, articles, and correspondence pertaining to the Miller Center, University of Virginia; correspondence with Kenneth W. Thompson (1996-2003), Griffin B. Bell (1996-1997); draft of Daniel Meador’s lecture at Miller Center; Martha Derthick & John Dinan, Alternatives to Growth in the Article III Federal Judiciary, Proposal, Miller Center, University of Virginia, 1996
- 2001-2002; Mobile Bench & Bar Conference, Nov. 2001 – Memorabilia, documents and correspondence from Mobile & Baldwin County Bar Associations 13th Annual Bench and Bar Conference, Nov. 2, 2001.
- 2003-2008; Monticello Ceremony – Correspondence, research materials, and memorabilia from Ceremony to Commemorate the 263rd Anniversary of the Birth of Thomas Jefferson (Apr. 13, 2006); Address by Daniel Meador, Remarks in the Monticello Cemetery at the Grave of Thomas Jefferson, (Apr. 13, 2004) [NOTE: event was postponed in 2004 and 2005 due to rain. The address was eventually delivered on Apr. 13, 2006]
- 1971, 1976; National Center for State Courts - 25th Anniversary Conference – Correspondence, memorabilia from National Conference on the Future of the Judiciary in celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the National Center for State Courts, March 23-25, Williamsburg, VA.; Justice in the States: Addresses and Papers of the National Conference on the Judiciary, March 11-14, 1971, Williamsburg, VA.
- 1971-1977, 1992-1993; National Center for State Courts – Memorabilia from conferences and other events held by NCSC; correspondence with Judge Roger K. Warren (2003), Judge Dorothy T. Beasley (1999), Mark Cannon (1973), Justice Winslow Christian (1972-1973); Memorandum from Don. F. Bell, Counsel, National Center for State Courts, to Members of Council of State Court Representatives (Sept. 15, 1972)
- 1979-1980; National Federation of the Blind – Correspondence with Kenneth Jernigan (1979); Judges Seek Master of Law Degree, The Daily Record, July 14, 1980 [article covers UVA’s Graduate Program for Judges, with commentary by Mr. Meador]
- 1981-1995, 2007; National Judicial College – Documents, programs, mailings, and memorabilia from National Judicial College’s Master of Judicial Studies Program, University of Nevada-Reno; Transcript of State Justice Institute Board of Directors meeting (c. 1990); Curricular Development and Enhancement for Master of Judicial Studies, Report submitted to State Justice Institute by James T. Richardson, Academic Director, Master of Judicial Studies Program, U. of Nevada-Reno (July 14, 1988); Daniel J. Meador, Are We Heading for a Merger of Federal and State Courts? 17 Judges J. 8 (Spring 1978); correspondence with Judge Ernst J. Watts (1977-1984), Judge V. Robert Payant (1984-1995), Judge John W. Kern, III (1984-1987), Judge Derek Holden (1986), Dr. James T. Richardson (1988), Jane W. Nelson (1989), Felix F. Stumpf (c. 2007); Report from Prof. Justin C. Smith, consultant, to Dean Ernst John Watts: University of Nevada, Reno: National Judicial College: A Proposal for a Degree Program Leading to the Master of Judicial Administration or Master of Judicial Science Degree (c. July 1, 1977)
- 2012; New South Books – The Transformative Years of the University of Alabama Law School, 1966-1970 – Correspondence and articles pertaining to Mr. Meador’s book; correspondence with Robert L. Potts
- 1987, Nov.; NYU Conference on Federal Courts – Documents and correspondence from Symposium on Federal Courts, Nov. 14-15, 1987; Remarks by Justice Antonin Scalia before the Fellows of the American Bar Foundation and the National Conference of Bar Presidents (Feb. 15, 1987, New Orleans)
- 1977-1979; Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice [OIAJ] – Memoranda and correspondence with AG Griffin B. Bell (1977); Judge Shirley M. Hufstedler (1977); Walter E. Hoffman, Director of the Federal Judicial Center (1977); Judge James C. Hill (1977); Sen. James O. Eastland(1977); Thomas O’Toole, Federal Public Defender (1977); Maurie Rosenberg (1977); Judge Thomas Tang (1977); U.S. Att’y Michael D. Hawkins (1977-1978); Griffin B. Bell, Statement before the H.R. Subcomm. on Monopolies & Commercial Law, H. Judiciary Comm., On H.R. 7843 – Circuit Splitting, Fifth Circuit Court; Griffin B. Bell, Address before the National Conference on State Courts (Mar. 19, 1978); Daniel J. Meador, Memorandum to Griffin B. Bell, Relitigation of Issues by Justice Department Attorneys (July 20, 1979); Daniel J. Meador, Memorandum to Griffin B. Bell, Revision of Class Damage Procedure (July 9, 1979); Office of the Attorney General, Policy Statement Concerning Ninth Circuit’s Pre-Hearing Conference Program
- 1977-1979; Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice – Additional correspondence and memoranda generated by the Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice (OIAJ), newspaper clippings; newspaper clippings pertaining to the firing of U.S. Attorney David W. Marston; memoranda and correspondence with Alan Parker (1977); Griffin Bell (1978); Karen Skrivseth (1978); Benjamin Civiletti (1979); Daniel Meador, The Federal Judicial System – Priorities For Improvements in the 1980s; Draft bill vesting in the Attorney General the authority to appoint U.S. Attorneys and U.S. Marshals (1978); Griffin B. Bell, Statement before the H.R. Subcomm. on Courts, Civil Liberties and the Administration of Justice, H. Comm. on the Judiciary, Concerning Merit Selection of U.S. Attorneys (Mar. 13, 1978)
- 1984-1991; Office of the Chief Justice – Documents and correspondence in re: Mr. Meador’s distribution of the book “The Office of Chief Justice” (U. Va.: Miller Center, 1984); Hon. Warren E. Burger, Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, Speech before the Luncheon of the Conference on the Role of the Judiciary in America, American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research (Dec. 14, 1978); Correspondence with Peter G. Fish (1984-1985), Justice Warren Burger (1985-1991), Dean Richard A. Merrill (1985), Justice William H. Rehnquist (1986), Karen Kremer (1987, in re: Senate bill to create the office of Chancellor), Kenneth W. Thompson (1987); S. Comm. on the Judiciary: Hearings on the Confirmation of William H. Rehnquist to be Chief Justice of the U.S. (July 1986)
- 2010; Oral History Transcript – Transcript of biographical interview of Daniel J. Meador by Dwayne Cox, Director of Special Collections and Archives at Auburn University (May 12, 2010) [54 pages]
- 1999; People to People – Correspondence in re: American People Ambassador Program, People to People International
- 1977-1989; Personal, Daniel J. Meador – Correspondence, memorabilia, and newspaper clippings pertaining to Mr. Meador and UVA; Statement by Senator John Glenn on S. 1223 to Authorize Construction of a Korean War Memorial (Oct. 29, 1985); Large program from the Inauguration of Robert Marchant O’Neil as President of the University of Virginia (2 folders)
- 2003-2005; Poland – Extensive collection of research materials for The Wolf’s Lair and Tannenberg
- 2003; draft of Daniel Meador’s The Wolf’s Lair and Tannenberg, Sixty Years After (Oct. 24, 2003)
- 2003; correspondence and documents pertaining to research and Mr. Meador’s trip to Poland in 2003
- 2000-2005; Resume and Bibliography – Resume, biography, and bibliography of Daniel J. Meador
- 1988; Ribble Gate – Correspondence with Prof. John McCoid (1988), in re: proposed Gate built in honor of Dean Frederick Deane Goodwin Ribble; Edward Tenner, Gate Fever: The Revival of Portalmania Prompts an Inquiry Into the Semiotics of Gateways, Harv. Mag., Sept.-Oct. 1988, at 27.
- n.d.; Scottsboro to Posterity –Research notes and draft of “Scottsboro to Posterity”, a study of Powell v. Alabama [no date or author listed].
- 1984-1987; Six-Year Presidential Term, Committee for a – Memoranda, reports, activist materials, newspaper clippings, and memorabilia from the Committee for the Single Six-Year Presidential Term; correspondence with George S. Wills (1984-1987), Milton S. Eisenhower (1984), Sen. Howell Heflin (1984), Rep. D. French Slaughter (1984), Sen. John Warner (1984-1985), Sen. Paul Trible (1985), White House Counsel Fred F. Fielding (1985, in re: Mr. Meador’s 1984 letter to Pres. Ronald Reagan)
- 1967-1989; Society of Public Teachers of Law – Documents, reports, correspondence, and conference programs from SPTL
- 1967-2008; Sokol, Ronald P. – Extensive correspondence with Ronald P. Sokol (UVA Law class of 1962) [Complimentary correspondence in papers of Ronald Sokol, MSS 2014-1]
- 1999; South Carolina Appellate Conference, 1999 – Correspondence, documents, memorabilia, and research materials pertaining to South Carolina Court of Appeals Bench/Bar, Oct. 22, 1999.
- 1973-2005; Speeches of Daniel J. Meador (2 folders)
1967; Commencement address at Montgomery Academy (June 1967) [handwritten notes].
1973; Remarks at Workshop for Court of Appeal Justices (June 23, 1973) [Carmel, CA].
1977; Address before the Conference of Chief Justices and Conference of State Court Administrators (Aug. 2, 1977) [Minneapolis, MN].
1977; Griffin Bell, Speech for the American Association of Law Schools, (Dec. 12, 1977) [Draft, speech written by Daniel Meador].
1978; Judges and Advocates: Politics and Merit, Address for Colorado Chapter of Federal Bar Association (Apr. 20, 1978).
1978; Remarks at the University of Michigan Law School for Senior Day (May 13, 1978).
1978; Statement before the H. Subcomm. on Consumer Protection and Finance, Interstate & Foreign Commerce Comm., Concerning Disputes Resolution Act - S. 957 (July 20, 1978).
1978; Statement before the H. Subcomm. on Courts, Civil Liberties and the Administration of Justice, Judiciary Comm., Concerning Disputes Resolution Act – S. 957 (Aug. 2, 1978).
1979; Concerning Alternatives to Litigation and the Dispute Resolution Act – S. 423, Statement before the S. Comm. on the Judiciary (Feb. 13, 1979).
1979; Address at the American Bar Association Annual Dinner in Honor of the Judiciary (Aug. 13, 1979) [Loew’s Anatole Hotel, Dallas, TX].
1980; Choice and Accountability, Lay Address at Prayer Breakfast for American Bar Association Annual Meeting (Aug. 3, 1980) [Honolulu, HI].
1981; Address for the New Jersey Judiciary (Sept. 10, 1981) [given at Cherry Hill Inn]
1982; Statement before the S. Comm. on the Judiciary, On S. 675 and S. 1530 (May 12, 1982).
1984; Law and the Courts in 2000, Address at the Judicial Conference of the Fifth Circuit (June 1, 1984) [New Orleans, LA].
1987; Graduation Remarks, Address at University of Virginia Law School Graduation Exercises (May 17, 1987) [McIntire Amphitheatre].
1987; Statement before the S. Comm. on the Judiciary, On the Nomination of Robert H. Bork to be an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court (Sept. 25, 1987).
1988; Remarks at the Memorial Service for Elizabeth Schutte (April 17, 1988) [Westminster Presbyterian Church, Charlottesville, VA].
1988; God, Law, and Sir Edward Coke in the Late Twentieth Century, Address at the University of Virginia Fall Convocation (Sept. 30, 1988).
1991; Invocation at the University of Virginia Law School Graduation Exercises (May 19, 1991).
1992; Concluding Remarks at the National Conference on State-Federal Judicial Relationships (June 4, 1992).
1992; Professor Daniel J. Meador: A Perspective on Judicial Improvements, 24 the Third Branch, Dec. 1992, at 10 [Interview].
2000; Banquet Address for the Reunion of the 5th Regimental Combat Team (June 24, 2000) [Drawbridge Inn, Fort Mitchell, KY].
2005; The Law School and the Law – Yesterday and Tomorrow, Remarks at the University of Alabama School of Law Groundbreaking Ceremony (Mar. 18, 2005).
2005; Remarks in the Monticello Cemetery at the Grave of Thomas Jefferson (Apr. 13, 2005) [draft, event cancelled due to weather, speech delivered in 2006].
2005; Introduction to the Conference, Address at 2005 National Conference on Appellate Justice (Nov. 4, 2005) [Draft].
2006; Remarks in the Monticello Cemetery at the Grave of Thomas Jefferson, Ceremony for Thomas Jefferson’s 263rd Birthday (Apr. 13, 2006).
2007; Remarks in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (Apr. 2, 2007).
- 1959-1995 Speeches of Daniel J. Meador - Addendum
n.d.; A New Approach to Restricting Diversity Jurisdiction (n.d.)
1959; Remarks to panel on proposals to restrict the diversity jurisdiction [Ashville, NC: July 1, 1959]
1972; Professional Assistance for Appellate Judges: A Central Staff of Lawyers [Draft, 11-7-1972]
1973; Statement at hearings by the H.R. Subcomm. on Criminal Law, H.R. Comm. on the Judiciary, on proposals to establish an Office of Special Prosecutor (Nov. 1, 1973)
1973; Address at the National Conference on Criminal Justice, The Work of the Courts Task Force (Jan. 24, 1973) [Wash., D.C.]
1974; Address at Appellate Court Seminar, Appellate Justice – Ideas for Improvement (Jan. 20, 1974)
1975; Address at a seminar for Federal Appellate Judges sponsored by the Federal Judicial Center, Consumers of Justice: How the Public Views the Federal Judicial Process (Mar. 11-14, 1975)
1976; Remarks at Vanderbilt Conference, Confidentiality and Disclosure in the Work of the American Bar Association Committee on the Federal Judiciary (1976)
1977; Statement before the H.R. Subcomm. on Courts, Civil Liberties and the Administration of Justice, H.R. Comm. on the Judiciary, Concerning Fuctions and Jurisdiction of the Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice (Apr. 21, 1977)
1977; Daniel J. Meador & Paul A. Nejelski, Testimony before the H.R. Subcomm. on Courts, Civil Liberties and the Administration of Justice, H.R. Comm. on the Judiciary, On Legislation Concerning Jurisdiction of United States Magistrates (Sept. 28, 1977)
1977; Address before the National College of the State Judiciary, The Robert Houghwout Jackson Lecture: Federal Government and the State Courts (Oct. 14, 1977)
1980; Testimony before the H.R. Judiciary Subcomm. on Courts, Civil Liberties, and the Administration of Justice (Sept. 19, 1980)
1985; Draft remarks of DJM for Brookings Inter. Branch Seminar, March 9, 1985, Williamsburg
1995; Remarks at memorial service for Maurice Rosenberg (Nov. 13, 1995)
- 1980-1981; State Courts and Federalism in the 1980’s, Conference – Testing the Perception that Traditional Distinctions Between State and Federal Court Systems are Eroding (c. 1980) [Unknown author, article is not written by Daniel Meador]; Documents from Symposium on State Courts and Federalism in the 1980’s, jointly sponsored by National Center for State Courts and Marshall-Wythe School of Law (College of William & Mary), Williamsburg, VA: Jan. 23-24, 1981.
- 1993-1994; State-Federal Judicial Observer – Several issues of the State-Federal Judicial Observer: Jan. 1993 [Meador quoted in article], July 1993 [Meador quoted in article], March 1994 [Includes Obiter Dictum by Daniel Meador], July 1994, Oct. 1994, and May 1995 [Meador served on editorial board for these three issues].
- 1990-1993; State-Federal Judicial Relationships, Judicial Conferences on – Daniel J. Meador, The Relation Between State and Federal Courts: An Overview – Past, Present, and Future, Address at Eighth Circuit Judicial Conference [2 Drafts, June 7 and 26, 1990]; memorabilia and documents from Eighth Circuit Judicial Conference, Kansas City, Missouri (July 18-20, 1990); m emorabilia and documents from Western Regional Conference on State-Federal Judicial Relationships, Columbia River Gorge, Stevenson, WA (June 4-5, 1993); Daniel J. Meador, Concluding Remarks at Western Regional Conference on State-Federal Judicial Relationships (June 5, 1993) [Stevenson, WA] [Draft version also included in collection]; Sandra Day O’Connor, Remarks for the Western Regional Conference on Federal-State Judicial Relationships [Draft, c. May 1993].
- 1992-2002; State Justice Institute – Partial transcription of proceedings of 10th Anniversary Reunion of present and former board members of SJI, Alexandria, VA (Nov. 1996)
- 1986-1996; State Justice Institute Board of Directors – Minutes from SJI Board of Directors meetings, memoranda and other documents
- 1958-1991; Supreme Court – Articles and memorabilia in re: SCOTUS; correspondence between Dean Frederick. D. G. Ribble and Walter Wyatt (SCOTUS Reporter, UVA Law Class of 1917, 1960); Statement of Justice Lewis F. Powell Jr. on the occasion of his retirement from the U.S. Supreme Court (June 26, 1987); Correspondence with Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr. (1990), Robb M. Jones (1991, UVA Law Class of 1978); Lewis F. Powell, Jr., Opening Statement for Daniel Meador’s Federal Courts Class, University of Virginia (Mar. 19, 1990) [Draft, Mar. 6, 1990, 9 pages]
- 1976-1988; Supreme Court Historical Society – Memorabilia, correspondence and documents from the Supreme Court Historical Society; Resolution presented at Special Session of the Supreme Court in Memory of Mr. Justice Douglas, Supreme Court of the United States (Nov. 18, 1980) [23 pages, unknown author].
- 1978, 1989; Supreme Court Jurisdiction – Statement before the S. Subcomm. on Improvements in Judicial Machinery, Comm. on the Judiciary, Concerning S. 83 and S. 3100 (June 20, 1978); Letter from U.S. Supreme Court to Sen. Dennis W. DeConcini
- 2005; Supreme Court Tenure, Carrington-Cramton – Documents, and memorabilia from Reforming the Court: Term Limits for Supreme Court Justices, Symposium sponsored by Duke Law School Program in Public Law, Apr. 9, 2005; Paul D. Carrington & Roger C. Cramton, Reforming the Supreme Court: An Introduction [Draft of introduction to book Reforming the Court: Term Limits for Supreme Court Justices]; Paul D. Carrington & Roger C. Cramton, The Supreme Court Renewal Act: A Return to Basic Principles [Draft of proposal from symposium, Jan. 2, 2005]; correspondence with Prof. Roger C. Cramton & Prof. Joan Steinman
- 1986-2003; Thomas Jefferson Award – Newspaper clippings, memorabilia, correspondence and articles in re: Mr. Meador’s receipt of Jefferson Award; correspondence with Prof. John C. McCoid, II (1989), Prof. Henry Abraham (1991-1993), Prof. R. K. Ramazani (1994), Prof. Larry Sabato (1994-1997), Leigh B. Middleditch, Jr. (1996), Dean Sondra F. Stallard (1998), Prof. R. Jahan Ramazani (2003); documents and correspondence of Thomas Jefferson Award Committee; correspondence in re: Mr. Meador’s nominations of Prof. Kenneth W. Thompson and Prof. R. K. Ramazani for the Jefferson award; R. K. Ramazani, Fall Convocation Address at the University of Virginia (Oct. 28, 1994) [U.Va. program with address. Ramazani received Jefferson Award in 1994].
- 1979; 1990; Twenty-Fifth Amendment – Correspondence, memoranda, government documents, research materials, studies, newspaper clippings, and reports in re: the U.Va. Miller Center’s 1985-1989 Commission on Presidential Disability and the 25th Amendment; correspondence with Dr. Kenneth R. Crispell (1979-1985), Kenneth W. Thompson (1979-1988), Assist. AG Jonathan C. Rose (1983), Fred F. Fielding (1984-1986), Mary Lawton (1984-1985), Dr. Bland W. Cannon (1985), Carlos F. Gomez (1985), Birch E. Bayh, Jr. (1986); memoranda and reports written by Daniel Meador, Kenneth W. Thompson, Dr. Kenneth R. Crispell, and Carlos F. Gomez in re: U.Va. Miller Center study; Carlos F. Gomez, Breaking Confidence: When the Patient is a Public Figure (U. of Va., 1985); Interview, Dr. Bland W. Cannon with Dr. Daniel Ruge, Washington, D.C. (June 17, 1985); Lehman Ford, to Dr. Kenneth R. Crispell, Memorandum on the Hearings Held by the H. Judiciary Comm.’s Special Subcomm. on Presidential Inability, Apr. 11 and 12, 1956, and Apr. 1, 1957; Paul B. Stephan III, Scope of Presidential Power to Delegate Duties and Powers, unknown publisher; Paul Stephan, Memorandum to Members of the Miller Center Commission on Presidential Disability, Legal Status of the Patient-Physician Privilege; ; transcript of Miller Center Presidential Disability Meeting, May 23, 1986; statement by Birch Bayh, Co-Chairman Miller Center Commission on Presidential Disability and the Twenty-Fifth Amendment (Jan. 19, 1988); Charles Bartlett, John Gartland, George Wills, The Committee for a Single Six-Year Presidential Term, Report to Members of the Committee (Jan. 14, 1988); Mortimer Caplin, Presidential Disability, Nat’l. L.J., Dec. 5, 1988, at 13; Kenneth W. Thompson, Memorandum to Members of the Commission on Presidential Disability and the Twenty-fifth Amendment, Presidential Disability Report (Apr. 19, 1989) (3 folders)
- 1967-1970); University of Alabama: Annual Report of the Dean of the School of Law – Annual Report of the Dean of the School of Law to the President of the University [4 documents: 1966-1967, 1967-1968, 1968-1969, 1969-1970. Reports written by Daniel J. Meador, Dean of the University of Alabama School of Law]
- 1965-1970) University of Alabama: Correspondence & Memoranda – Extensive collection of correspondence and memoranda written during Daniel Meador’s tenure as Dean of University of Alabama School of Law; J. Edward Thornton, Ray Forrester, & John G. Hervey, Feasibility Study on Acquisition of Jones Law School and the Operation of Same as a State-Related Law School (c. 1967); Dean Ray Forrester, Dean John G. Hervey, & J. Edward Thornton, A Memorandum Submitted to the Committee Studying the Question of Whether the State of Alabama Should Establish Another State-Supported Law School (Feb. 20, 1967); memorandum, The Alabama Law Institute (Nov. 4, 1968) [proposal for funding of a State Law Institute in Alabama, written by Daniel Meador, Hugh Merrill, David Mathews, Samuel Pipes, and L. Vastine Stabler]; Memorandum, W. Taylor Reveley III, Report on the Alabama Law Review (Oct. 21, 1968); Memorandum, Location of the University of Alabama School of Law (May, 1969) [written by UA Law faculty members]; L. Vastine Stabler, Memorandum, The Alabama Law Institute and its Relationship to the University (July 7, 1969); John Ritchie, Dean of Northwestern University School of Law, Report on the Proposed Law Center at the University of Alabama (July 28, 1969); Memorandum from Daniel Meador to Edward M. Friend Jr., Failure of the President and the Administration of the University of Alabama to support the Law School in Program of Development and Its Drive for Excellence, 1969-1970 (Mar. 3, 1970); Julian B. McDonnell, An Experiment in Southern Educational Reform: The University of Alabama School of Law, 1966-1970; correspondence with Dean Hardy C. Dillard (1965); Alex S. Pow (1965-1968); Dean M. Leigh Harrison (1965); Robert McD. Smith (1965); UA President Frank A. Rose (1966-1969); Justice Thomas Seay Lawson (1968-1969); Gov. Albert P. Brewer (1968-1969); Forrest David Mathews (1968-1969); John C. H. Miller Jr. (1968); John Gaines Hervey (1968); Howell T. Heflin (1968); Douglas Arant (1968); Raymond F. McLain, Vice. Pres. For Academic Affairs, UA (1968-1970); AG MacDonald Gallion (1968); Oakley Melton Jr. (1968); Edward M. Friend Jr. (1968-1970); Prof. Robert L. Plunkett (1969); Hugh D. Merrill Jr. (1969); Prof. L. Vastine Stabler (1969); Prof. W. Taylor Reveley III (1969-1970); Edward S. Allen (1969); A. Leo Levin (1969); Prof. Willard F. Gray (1969); Prof. Igor I. Kavass (1969); Justice Hugo L. Black (1970); Prof. Frank R. Strong (1970); James B. Kobak Jr. (1970); Fournier J. Gale III (1970) (3 folders)
- 1970; University of Alabama Dean – Statistical research conducted by or for Daniel Meador, Dean of University of Alabama School of Law; Memorandum by Daniel J. Meador, A Note on Legal and Medical Education in Alabama: A Look at the Causes of the Frustrations of the Law School’s Development Drive, 1966-1970
- 1977-2005; University of Alabama: General – Correspondence, documents, and memorabilia pertaining to the University of Alabama School of Law (2 folders)
- 1998-2007; University of Alabama Meador Lecture – Correspondence in re: the Meador Lecture at the University of AL School of Law; Saul Levmore, Daniel J. Meador Lecture, University of Alabama School of Law, Speculating Law (Beyond Cigarettes and Swiss Banks); Paul D. Carrington, Daniel J. Meador Lecture, University of Alabama School of Law, Judges For a Republic (Feb. 9, 1998)
- 1967-1970; University of Alabama Miscellaneous Documents – Daniel J. Meador, Dean, Address at the Annual Luncheon of the Alabama Law School Alumni Association (July 21, 1967) [Montgomery, AL]; Remarks of Dean Daniel J. Meador at Farrah Law Society Charter Members’ Dinner (Oct. 24, 1969) [Birmingham, AL]; Several issues of Alabama Law Reporter and other newspaper clippings [with references to Dean Daniel Meador and the University of Alabama]
- 1968; University of Alabama Order of the Coif – Petition of the Faculty of the University of Alabama School of Law for a Chapter in the Order of the Coif (Dec. 1968); Frank R. Strong & Thomas S. Currier, Report to the Executive Committee of the Order of the Coif on the Petition of the Faculty of the University of Alabama School of Law
- 1966; University of Alabama Reports – Verner F. Chaffin, Chairman of the School of Law Committee on Curriculum, Report on the University of Alabama Law School Curriculum (n.d., c. 1966); John C. Payne, Chairman of the School of Law Committee on Law Library, The Law Library of the University of Alabama: A Report Submitted as a Portion of the Study of the University of Alabama Law School, Made in Connection With the University of Alabama Study and Planning Program (n.d., c. 1966)
- 1975-2004; University of Virginia – Memorabilia from UVA, including several convocation programs; Report of the Special Athletic Committee, Hardy C. Dillard, et al; Memorandum from Thomas F. Bergin & Daniel J. Meador to the Faculty Senate of the University of Virginia (Apr. 16, 1975) [in re: concern regarding professionalization of student athletic programs at UVA]; correspondence with President Robert M. O’Neil (1986-1990), Lee Stuart Cochran (1989), Prof. Donald E. Dougald (1989); correspondence with Dean Richard A. Merrill in re: problems of overcrowding and use of alcohol on Lawn during graduation exercises; correspondence with Leonard W. Sandridge, Jr. and President John T. Casteen, III in re: corruption in University of Virginia athletic program; tribute to Edgar Finley Shannon, Jr. delivered by his daughters at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Charlottesville, VA (Aug. 26, 1997)
- 1990-2011; University of Virginia Cemetery Committee (Columbarium) – Meeting minutes, correspondence, and memoranda from members of UVA Cemetery (Columbarium) Committee; correspondence with M. Jack Reinhart, Jr. (2002), Dr. Dearing W. Johns (1990-2011), Leonard W. Sandridge (2002), Alexander G. Gilliam, Jr. (2006), Ed Rivers (2011, Chair, UVA Arboretum and Landscape Committee)
- 1974-1979, 1986-1995; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces – Correspondence in re: CAAF and ABA Standing Comm. on Fed. Judicial Improvements; Daniel J. Meador, Chair, American Bar Association Standing Committee on Federal Judicial Improvements, Report to the House of Delegates (Feb. 1990); correspondence with Dean Thomas H. Jackson (1990), Judge Robinson O. Everett (1989-1990), William S. Fulton, Jr. (1987, Clerk of U.S. Court of Military Appeals); Daniel J. Meador, Address at the Seminar on the United States Courts and National Security, Charlottesville, VA, Federal Judicial Review of Courts Martial Conviction—A Proposal for Reform (Sept. 27, 1986); Draft of bill, Military Appellate Procedures Act of 1979; Daniel Meador, Review in Court Martial Cases [2 drafts, 14 June 1974, unpublished] [one version has annotated editorial commentary]; Daniel Meador, Appellate Cross-Breeding, Military and Civilian, English and American [Aug. 23, 1974, unpublished]
- 1987-1997; U.S. Information Agency – Correspondence, documents and memorabilia in re: U.S. Information Agency; correspondence in re: Mr. Meador’s telecast to India
- 1989-1993; USSR Rule of Law, Proposed Seminar, 1990 –Documents pertaining to proposed seminar at UVA; Max M. Kampelman, The Rule of Law in the Soviet Union, A.B.A. Sec. on int’n L., Nov.-Dec. 1989, at 23; correspondence between Amb. Yuri V. Dubinin and Amb. Richard Schifter in re: joint U.S.-USSR seminar on legal topics; letter from Daniel J. Meador to Prof. John Norton Moore in re: Proposed USSR Seminar on the Rule of Law; research materials in re: bibliography, Rule of Law in former USSR
- 1983-1985,2000; Virginia Bar Association Executive Committee – Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting (May 6 and Aug. 4, 1983; Apr. 27-28, July 19, and Oct. 6, 1984; Apr. 26-27, Aug. 15, and Sept. 14, 1985); Resolutions of Virginia Bar Association in re: increasing judicial capacity of Circuit and Supreme Courts, enacting intermediate appellate court, and creating new federal Intercircuit Tribunal; minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Directors of the Virginia Law Foundation (June 15, 1984)
- 1982-2003; Virginia Bar Association General – Draft of Virginia Senate Bill 586 (Feb. 6, 1979) to create a Judicial Nomination Commission to propose nominees to fill vacancies on the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals of Virginia; Correspondence with Thomas T. Lawson (1984), Judge D. Arthur Kelsey (2002-2003); The Virginia Bar Association, Report of the Committee on the Judiciary for 1986; Memorandum from Daniel J. Meador to Executive Committee of the Virginia Bar Association, A Program to Attack Litigation Expense and Delay in Virginia (Oct. 2, 1985); Special Study Committee in reference to the appointments made to the Court of Appeals in Virginia, Report on the Judicial Selection Process in Virginia; Mr. Meador’s letter to nominate Prof. Graham C. Lilly as a Fellow of the Virginia Law Foundation (2000)
- 1991; Virginia Department for the Visually Handicapped – Documents and correspondence
- 1984; Virginia Jefferson Association – Highlights of VJA Meeting (Aug. 11, 1984); The Illinois Jefferson Meeting on the Constitution, Synopsis of the Debate (Dec. 8, 1984); Cullon Davis, The Once and Future Constitution, Concluding Remarks at the Illinois Jefferson Meeting (Dec. 9, 1984) [Chicago]; Henry Steele Commager, American Federalism and the Constitution, Opening Address of the Illinois Jefferson Meeting (Dec. 7, 1984) [Chicago].
- 1984, 1994, 2000-2002; Virginia Law Foundation – Correspondence, documents and memorabilia
- 2000-2004; Virginia Quarterly Review – Correspondence with Virginia Quarterly Review in re: publication of articles
- 1994-1997; Virginia Writers’ Club – Correspondence; Yearbooks of the Virginia Writers’ Club, Inc. and Dec. 1994 and Feb. 1995 issues of Virginia Writer Newsletter
- 1981-1989; West Point – Correspondence in re: Mr. Meador’s visiting professorship at USMA, including with Col. Robert W. Berry (1981-1986); 1983-1984 teaching materials for Daniel Meador’s course at USMA; Daniel J. Meador, Afteractions Report sent to Brig. Gen. Frederick A. Smith, Jr. (June 13, 1984) [3 page report documenting Mr. Meador’s observations and reflections after visiting professorship at USMA]; Final Report of the Special Commission of the Chief of Staff on the Honor Code and Honor System at the United States Military Academy (May, 1989)
- 2010-2012; Woodrow Wilson Portrait – correspondence and documents in re: Mr. Meador’s commissioning Ann Cowden to paint a portrait of Woodrow Wilson for UVA Law School; memorandum from Mr. Meador to Prof. Larry Walker (June 24, 2010) [in re: plans to enlarge main UVA Law Library reading room and furnish it with portrait of Woodrow Wilson; correspondence with Law School Library staff in re: documents and letters from Woodrow Wilson during his time as a student at UVA; Daniel J. Meador, Remarks on Presentation to the Law School of a Portrait of Woodrow Wilson (Mar. 27, 2012)[Caplin PAvilion, UVA, 5 p.m., 7 pages]
- 1989-1990; Yugoslavia – Correspondence with Russell A. Bikoff (1989-1990), Rep. D. French Slaughter, Jr. (1990), Sen. Charles S. Robb (1990), David Mees (Director of American Center, Sarajevo, 1990), Michael McKenzie (Registrar of Criminal Appeals, Royal Courts of Justice, London, 1990), Terence C. Halliday (1990), and various personnel of The American Center working throughout Yugoslavia (1990); reports, guidelines, and other documents in re: Daniel Meador’s presentation of six lectures in Yugoslavia (May 22-June 1, 1990: Belgrade, Sarajevo, Ljubljana, Titograd, Skopje, and Zagreb) for the U.S. Information Agency (USIA) American Participant (AmPart) overseas speakers program; draft outlines of Daniel Meador’s “The Independent Bar” and “American Courts and American Federalism,” Lectures in Yugoslavia (1990); Meador’s Report to U.S. Information Agency on AmPart lectures in Yugoslavia [7 pages]
- 1971-1974; Brown v. Cox – U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit – Extensive collection of briefs, reports, motions, research materials, correspondence, and other documents pertaining to Brown v. Cox (U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, 71-1089), a federal case in which Daniel Meador served as court-appointed counsel for appellant. Correspondence with appellant (1971-1974), Assist. AG Vann H. Lefcoe (1971); Briefs, documents, and correspondence from the U.S. Supreme Court in re: James Arthur Brown v. A. E. Slayton, Jr., No. 73-5420.
- 1963-1970; Case v. Nebraska – Documents and correspondence in re: Case v. Nebraska, a Supreme Court case litigated by Daniel Meador (by court appointment) on the behalf of Paul V. Case, who filed a habeas corpus petition in Nebraska. Documents and transcripts from Paul V. Case v. State of Nebraska in the Nebraska Supreme Court (35637) and the Third Judicial District of Nebraska (18-119); Petition for Writ of Certiorari, Case V. Nebraska, in the Supreme Court of the U.S. (Oct. term, 1964) [some court documents are handwritten and original]; Extensive correspondence with petitioner (includes handwritten letter); correspondence with Judge Robert Van Pelt
- ca. 1965; Case v. Nebraska Research Notes – Handwritten research materials ; Legislative Bill 836, 75th Sess. (Neb. 1965). [Post-Conviction remedy act, passed during Case v. Nebraska]
- 1891, c. 1960-1964; Ex parte McCardle – Research and teaching materials pertaining to Ex parte McCardle case; Reproduction of letter from William H. McCardle to his son, Battle McCardle, a student at the University of Virginia (Nov. 29, 1891) [in re: Prof. John Barbee Minor’s opinions of McCardle case]; letter from J. Early Craig to Daniel J. Meador in re: Mr. Craig’s experiences as a UVA Law student in the 1890’s (1964, 4 pages) [Very detailed, describes Prof. John Barbee Minor and student athletics at UVA]; correspondence with Arthur John Keeffe in re: the Ex Parte McCardle case (1964)
- (c.1962-1974); Japanese Relocation Case – Teaching Materials for Daniel Meador’s Seminar in Constitutional Litigation, UVA in re: Korematsu v. United States
- (c.1959-1970); Public Power Litigation – Teaching materials for Daniel Meador’s Seminar in Constitutional Litigation, UVA and University of Alabama
- (n.d., c.1969-1975); Steel Seizure Case – Teaching materials for Daniel Meador’s Seminar in Constitutional Litigation, UVA
- 1971; Toth v. Quarles – Daniel J. Meador, Toth v. Quarles, a Case Study in Constitutional Litigation, Habeas Corpus and Court Martial Jurisdiction [222 pages].
- (c.1969-1970); Toth v. Talbot – Teaching materials used for Daniel Meador’s Seminar in Constitutional Litigation
- 1955-1958; Williams v. Georgia – Teaching materials for Mr. Meador’s 1958 UVA course “Federal Jurisdiction and Procedure,” including court reports pertaining to Aubry Williams v. State of Georgia (No. 328 Misc.)
- 1988-1992; His Father’s House – Agents and Publishers – Correspondence with potential agents and publishers, drafts of book excerpts, proposed contracts, and editorial correspondence in re: addition of epilogue to novel; correspondence with Prof. George Garrett
- 1994-1995; His Father’s House – Book-signing Tours – Correspondence, documents in re: book signings for Daniel Meador’s novel “His Father’s House” (Pelican, 1994) (8 folders)
- 1994-1999; His Father’s House – Reviews
- 1995-1998; His Father’s House – Screenplay – Screenplay drafts and correspondence in re: efforts to produce a television version of “His Father’s House”
- 1993-1997; Pelican – Contract & Royalty Statements – Correspondence, royalty statements and other documents pertaining to Mr. Meador’s contract with Pelican publishing
- 1998-2007; Unforgotten – Book-Signing Tour –Daniel Meador’s novel “Unforgotten” (Pelican, 1999)
- Fan Mail; correspondence with readers of novel “Unforgotten”; Asa Rountree, War [44 pages, author’s reflections on experiences during Korean War, unknown if published] (4 folders)
- 1994-1998; Unforgotten – Research – Correspondence and research materials pertaining to the Korean War and novel “Unforgotten”; extensive correspondence with historian T. R. Fehrenbach in re: research on the Korean War and editorial commentary on novel
- 1999-2000; Unforgotten – Reviews –Newspaper articles and reviews of Daniel Meador’s novel “Unforgotten”
- 1990; Writing Contests – Correspondence and documents in re: various writing contests in the U.S.
- 1989-1997; American Courts – Research materials, correspondence, and reviews in re: Daniel Meador’s “American Courts” (West, 1991)
- 1997-2007; American Courts – 2nd edition – Research materials, correspondence, and reviews in re: Daniel Meador’s “American Courts, 2d ed.” (West, 2000)
- 1990; Anomalies (Alabama Speech) – Daniel Meador, The Bill of Rights, State Criminal Cases, and Bicentennial Litigation Anomalies [unpublished article, developed from Bicentennial Lecture delivered at the mid-year meeting of the Alabama State Bar, Birmingham, Feb. 2, 1990]; correspondence with Sen. Charles Grassley, Sen. Strom Thurmond, Sen. Joseph Biden; editorial commentary on article from Judicature journal
- 1993-1995, 2006; Appellate Courts in the United States – Correspondence, book reviews
- 1994-1996; Appellate Courts: Structures, Functions, Processes, and Personnel – Research materials, correspondence, and documents re: Daniel Meador’s “Appellate Courts: Structures, Functions, Processes, and Personnel” (Michie Co., 1994).
- 2001-2005; Appellate Courts: Structures, Functions, Processes, and Personnel: 2nd Edition – Research materials, editorial work; extensive correspondence and editorial commentary with co-authors Joan Steinman and Tom Baker
- 2004-2009; Appellate Courts: Structures, Functions, Processes, and Personnel, 2nd Edition, Chap. 12 (England) – Correspondence, research materials; correspondence with Master Roger Venne
- 2003-2005; Appellate Courts: Structures, Functions, Processes, and Personnel, 2nd Edition, Chap. 13 (Germany) – Correspondence, research materials
- 2007-2009; Appellate Courts: Structures, Functions, Processes, and Personnel, 2nd Edition, 2009 Supplement – Correspondence, research materials
- 1980, 1993-1994; Appellate Courts: Structures, Functions, Processes, and Personnel: Correspondence and Reviews – Maurice Rosenberg, Remarks at Seminar for Newly Appointed Federal Appellate Judges, Federal Judicial Center (Mar. 10, 1980); correspondence with Justice Robert S. Thompson (1994), Judge Deanell Reece Tacha (1994), Prof. Paul Carrington (1993-1994), Prof. Maurice Rosenberg (1993-1994)
- c. 1973-1976; Appellate Judges: Administrative Law – Research materials, including 1973 correspondence between Robert E. Hampton (Chairman, U.S. Civil Service Commission) and Edward B. Miller, Chairman, National Labor Relations Board)
- c. 1976; Appellate Judges: Bibliography – List of sources consulted for Mr. Meador’s Appellate Judges book
- 1976-1977; Appellate Judges: Chap. 1-5 – Drafts, research materials, and editorial commentary in re: Chap. 1-5 of unpublished book by Daniel Meador, “American Appellate Judges,” portions of which were incorporated into “Appellate Courts: Structures, Functions, Processes, and Personnel” (Michie, 1994).
- 1977; Appellate Judges: Chap. 6-13 – Drafts, research materials, and editorial commentary in re: Chap. 1-5 of unpublished book by Daniel Meador, “American Appellate Judges,” portions of which were incorporated into “Appellate Courts: Structures, Functions, Processes, and Personnel” (Michie, 1994).
- 1976; Appellate Judges: Drafts and Outlines – General – Drafts, notes, and outlines for Appellate Judges book
- c. 1976; Appellate Judges: English Judges – Research materials on English judges; correspondence with Sir George Coldstream
- 1976; Appellate Judges: Interviews with Judges – Several interviews with judges, including with Justice Winslow Christian, Judge Harold Levanthal, Edward McConnell (Director, National Center for State Courts), Justice William Erickson, Justice Edward Pringle, Judge Joseph Sneed, Justice Robert Thompson, Justice James Cobey, Judge Wade H. McCree
- 1976; Appellate Judges: Job Relatedness – Research materials
- 1976; Appellate Judges: Judges’ Questionnaire –Correspondence and copies of appellate judges questionnaire written by Mr. Meador, used for research on Appellate Judges book
- 1976; Appellate Judges: Judicial Nominating Commissions – Research materials and judicial nominating questionnaires from various U.S. states; correspondence with Justice James Duke Cameron, E. Dixie Beggs (Chair, FL Sup. Ct. Jud. Nominating Comm.), Justice Joseph J. McFadden (1976), Clayton M. Davis (Chair, KS Sup. Ct. Nominating Comm.), Joseph Sherbow (Chair, MD App. Jud. Nominating Comm.), Justice Robert E. Seiler, Robert F. Wagner (Chair, NY Departmental Jud. Nominating Comm.), Robert I. Millonzi, John M. Dinse (Chair, VT Jud. Selection Board), Justice Rodney M. Guthrie
- c. 1976; Appellate Judges: Judicial Qualities – Seth M. Hufstedler, Address in Atlanta, What the Trial Lawyer Expects from the Trial Judge (Aug. 6, 1976).
- 1976; Appellate Judges: Judicial Role in Law Making – Research materials for chapter 6 of Appellate Judges; correspondence with Judge Ruggero J. Aldisert
- 1976; Appellate Judges: Kentucky Court of Appeals Questionnaire – Several questionnaires filled out by judges from Ky. Court of Appeals and extensive list of newspaper clippings in re: Ky. Court of Appeals
- 1976; Appellate Judges: Mailing Lists – Correspondence, mailing lists used for Mr. Meador’s research on Appellate Judges
- c. 1976; Appellate Judges: Make Up and Background of Judges – Research materials for “Appellate Judges” in re: various judges and appellate courts of U.S.
- 1976; Appellate Judges: Meskill Case – Research materials, congressional records, and correspondence in re: nomination of Judge Thomas Meskill, used for Appellate Judges book
- 1974-1977; Appellate Judges: Miscellaneous – American Judicature Society and the University of Nebraska proposed research project, Measuring and Evaluating Judicial Selection and Performance (Oct. 17, 1974) [50 pages plus appendix]; State of California, Before the Commission on Judicial Performance, Inquiry Concerning a Judge No. 25 (Dec. 30, 1976, in re: removal of Justice Marshall F. McComb); correspondence with Justice Winslow Christian (Handwritten)
- 1976; Appellate Judges: Personnel Evaluation, Business – Research materials for Appellate Judges book and correspondence with J. “Jack” F. Regan (C & P Telephone)
- 1976; Appellate Judges: Research Plans – Research materials for Appellate Judges book; Committee on Special Issues of State and National Importance, Virginia Bar Association, Report on public attitudes toward lawyers in Virginia; American Judicature Society, Proposed research project, Identifying and Measuring Judicial Performance in American Trial Courts (82 pages, Apr. 1, 1976)
- 1976; Appellate Judges: Selection Procedures – Research materials for Appellate Judges book
- 1983; Chief Justice’s Proposals, A Comment On –Correspondence and research materials pertaining to Daniel Meador’s article A Comment on the Chief Justice’s Proposals, 69 A.B.A. J. 448-450 (1983); correspondence with Justice Warren Burger, Erwin N. Griswold, Griffin Bell
- 1971; Criminal Appeals: English Practices and American Reforms: Chilcott – American Judges –Materials used for Daniel Meador’s “Criminal Appeals: English Practices and American Reforms” (UVA, 1973); Hypothetical court opinions on Regina v. Chilcott, an English Case, written by American Judges: Justice E. Howard McCaleb, Justice Thomas C. Gordon Jr., Judge T. John Lesinski; photographs of Watney’s Spa Tavern, Southampton, Hampshire [location referenced in court documents]; correspondence with Justice Thomas C. Gordon Jr. (U.Va. Law 1938); Justice E. Howard McCaleb; Judge T. John Lesinski
- 1971-1972; Criminal Appeals: English Practices and American Reforms: Chilcott Papers – Research materials for Meador’s “Criminal Appeals: English Practices and American Reforms (UVA 1973); Transcripts and documents in re: Regina v. Keith Donald Chilcott (No. 190/A/71)
- 1972-1973; Criminal Appeals: English Practices and American Reforms: D. R. Thompson – Registrar –Correspondence with Master D.R. Thompson, Registrar of Criminal Appeals, Royal Courts of Justice, London; editorial commentary from Master D.R. Thompson in re: Meador’s book “Criminal Appeals: English Practices and American Reforms” (UVA 1973); Research materials for “Criminal Appeals: English Practices and American Reforms”
- 1995-1996; Hardy Cross Dillard: Writings and Speeches – Fan Mail – Documents and correspondence with readers
- 1996; Hardy Cross Dillard: Writings and Speeches – Letters to Dean Robert E. Scott – Letters from readers of “Hardy Cross Dillard: Writings and Speeches” sent to Dean Scott [some written by alumni who offer historical information relative to the Law School and faculty]
- c. 1957-1980; Hardy Cross Dillard: Writings and Speeches – Research Materials – Memoranda by Hardy C. Dillard to the faculty of the JAG school in re: directions for writing and research; Interview with Hardy C. Dillard by Francis Farmer (ca. 1980)
- 1974-2002; Mr. Justice Black and His Books – Reviews – Correspondence, book reviews, newspaper clippings, and other documents pertaining to Daniel Meador’s “Mr. Justice Black and His Books” (UVA, 1974)
- 1990-2006; Legal Times – Daniel J. Meador articles published in the Legal Times; Split the Difference, Legal Times, Aug. 28, 2006, at 61; Take the Federal Circuit Seriously, Legal Times, May 1, 2006, at 68.
- 1977-1986; The President, the Attorney General, and the Department of Justice – Research materials for Daniel Meador’s book and several OIAJ and DOJ documents; Draft of Executive Order Establishing the Independence of the Attorney General (c. 1977); Independent Attorney General – Rendering Legal Opinions and Making Prosecutorial Decisions, OIAJ (Aug. 4, 1978); Griffin Bell, Address before the National Board of Directors, Boys’ Clubs of America (Oct. 25, 1978); Memorandum, The Attorney General of England, OIAJ (Aug. 4, 1978); Daniel Meador memorandum to Benjamin R. Civiletti, Improving the role of the Attorney General as counselor and Litigator (June 6, 1979) [with annotations by Civiletti]
Works by Daniel Meador
Address at the Thirty-Ninth Annual Judicial Conference of the District of Columbia Circuit, Statement of the Proposal by Daniel J. Meador, Assistant Attorney General, Office for Improvements in the Administration of Justice, 81 F.R.D. 263 (1978).
Alabama Cases, United States Supreme Court, 11 Al Law. 341 (1955).
The Alabama Law Review, 11 Al. Law. 461 (1950) [written as a student]
American Courts (West 1994) [5 books, translations of American Courts in Arabic, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish].
Appellate Courts: Staff and Process in the Crisis of Volume: 1975 Supplement, A Report on the Second Year of the Appellate Justice Project of the National Center for State Courts (West, 1975).
Appellate Justice—Ideas For Improvement, Proceedings, Appellate Courts Seminar, Jan. 19-22, 1974.
Book Review, 18 Reading Guide 61 (reviewing Morrison R. Waite: The Triumph of Character (1963)) [Reading Guide published by the UVA Law School].
Book Review, 26 Reading Guide 17 (reviewing Roger J. Traynor: The Riddle of Harmless Error (1971)) [Reading Guide published by the UVA Law School].
Daniel J. Meador, Book Review: Hugo Black: The Alabama Years, By Virginia Van Der Veer Hamilton, A Question of Judgment: The Fortas Case and the Struggle For the Supreme Court, By Robert Shogan 1973 U. Ill. L. Forum 204 (1973).
Glimpses of the Federal Circuit’s Birth, 25 IPL Newsletter 1 (2007).
Introduction to the National Conference, 8 J. App. Prac. & Process 73 (2006).
Justice in Fatigues: With The JAGC In Korea, 1952-1953, The Greybeards, Nov.-Dec. 2007 at 66.
Legal Education in East Germany: The 1988 Policy Statement, 16 Rev. Socialist L. 81 (1990).
The Mind of the Lawyer, Or Why Doctors Should Not Have Trouble With Lawyers, Medical Bulletin of the Montgomery County Medical Society, June 2, 1971, at 74.
The Need for Effective Assistance of Counsel, 28 The Legal Aid Briefcase 75 (1970).
The Need for Effective Assistance of Counsel, Report of Proceedings of the National Defender Conference, May 14-16 (1969).
Problems and Uncertainties in the Appointment of Federal Judges, 5 Miller Center J. 41 (1998).
Remarks at the Judicial Conference of Virginia, Post-Conviction Procedure, May 28, 1965 [Commonwealth of Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, 17th Session, Roanoke, VA].
Remarks at the Special Session of the United States Corut of Appeals for the Federal Circuit Commemorating its First Ten Years, 2 Fed. Cir. B.J. 270 (1992).
The Supreme Court and the School Segregation Cases, 1 Am. Rev. 10 (1961)
A Symposium on the Federal Courts: Improving the Administration of Justice, 15 Int’l Soc’y of Barristers Q. 226 (1980).
Take the Federal Circuit Seriously, Legal Times, May 1, 2006, at 68.
The Wolf’s Lair and Tannenberg Sixty Years After, Streetlight, Fall 2006, at 65.
Appellate Courts: Structures, Functions, Processes, and Personnel: Teacher’s Manual (Michie Co. 1994).
Appellate Courts: Structures, Functions, Processes, and Personnel: 2009 Supplement (Supplement to 2d ed. 2006, LexisNexis 2009).
Appellate Courts: Structures, Functions, Processes, and Personnel: Teacher’s Manual (2d ed. 2006, LexisNexis 2006).
Sir Patrick Russell and Daniel Meador, Graduate Program for Judges: English Appeals (unpublished, 1996) [handout for course at U.Va.].
The Colonnade (U.Va. 1971).
The Colonnade Club of the University of Virginia (U.Va. 1965).
The Inauguration of John Thomas Casteen, III as President of the University of Virginia (Oct. 6, 1990).
The Inauguration of Robert Marchant O’Neil as President of the University of Virginia (Oct. 2, 1985).
Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity, Directory : the Law School, University of Virginia [8 editions: 1957-1958, 1959-1960, 1960-1961,1962-1963, 1963-1964, 1970-1971, 1971-1972, 1972-1973].
Philip Handler, The University in a World in Transition: Sesquicentennial Convocation, The University of Virginia (Oct. 21, 1969)
Report of the University of Virginia Long Range Planning Committee: May 1962 (unpublished).
University of Alabama Law School Directory of Graduates: 1872-1970 (U.AL. Foundation 1970).
University of Virginia Chaired Professors: Fall 1991 (U.Va. 1991).
University of Virginia Second Chairs Dinner (Apr. 15, 1975).
University of Virginia Fourth Chairs Dinner (Apr. 11, 1979).
University of Virginia Sixth Chairs Dinner (Apr. 25, 1983).
University of Virginia: The Directory for 1962-1963 (U.Va.).
University of Virginia Miller Center of Public Affairs, Ronald Reagan Oral History Project (n.d.).
Wendy C. Lascher, Meador To Receive Kathleen McCree Lewis Award, 2008 The Appellate Advocate 11.
Aquarelles Noëlle Herrenschmidt 1952-2002 (Court of Justice of the European Communities).
The Brookings Institution, Programs [Several bound programs and revised programs with photographs, 1978-1992]
Champ Lyons Jr., His Monument, My Oath, and the Rule of Law (2004) [published by author].
Correspondence of the Late Gilbert Wakefield, B.A. With the Late Right Honourable Charles James Fox, In the Years 1796-1801, Chiefly on Subjects of Classical Literature (T. Cadell & W. Davies, 1813).
David C. Baum Lecture: Civil Courts and Civil Rights, The Chronicle, U. Ill. at Urbana-Champaign, Fall/Winter 1980 at 14.
Gerhard Casper & Richard A. Posner, A Study of the Supreme Court’s Caseload, 3 J. Legal Stud. 339 (1974).
G. Edward White, The Appellate Opinion as Historical Source Material, J. Interdisciplinary History I 491 (1971).
The Harvard Law School, Student Directory: 1953-1954.
In the Supreme Court of the United States, October Term, 1954, no. 150. United States of America, Ex. Rel. Audrey M. Toth, Petitioner, vs. Harold E. Talbott, Secretary of the United States Air Force, Respondent, Brief of Petitioner.
In the Supreme Court of the United States, October Term, 1954. United States of America, Ex. Rel. Audrey M. Toth, Petitioner, vs. Harold E. Talbott, Secretary of the United States Air Force, Respondent, On Writ of Certiorari to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Brief of the American Legion Amicus Curiae.
In the Supreme Court of the United States, October Term, 1964, no. 843. Paul V. Case, Petitioner vs. Nebraska, respondent, On Writ of Certiorari to the Supreme Court of the State of Nebraska
Joel B. Grossman, Lawyers & Judges: The ABA and the Politics of Judicial Selection (John Wiley & Sons 1965).
Memorial Addresses and Other Tributes in the Congress of the United States on the Life and Contributions of Hugo LaFayette Black, Ninety-Second Congress, First Session (U.S. Gov. Printing Office, 1972).
National Defender Project, National Legal Aid and Defender Association, Report of Proceedings of the National Defender Conference: May 14-16, 1969, Washington, D.C.
Proceedings of the Bar and Officers of the Supreme Court of the United States, April 4, 1955: Proceedings Before the Supreme Court of the United States, April 4, 1955: In Memory of Robert Houghwout Jackson (Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States 1955) [“Robert Houghout Jackson” printed on cover, “Jackson” written on side]
Richard Neely, Why Courts Don’t Work (McGraw-Hill 2d ed. 1983)
Simon Wiesenthal Center, The New Lexicon of Hate: The Changing Tactics, Language and Symbols of America’s Extremists (2d ed. 1999).
South Carolina Law Review, Symposium: The Federal Courts: The Next 100 Years (Vol. 38, 1987).
The Supreme Court Historical Society, The Supreme Court and the Civil War (ed. Jennifer M. Lowe, 1996).
Thomas Perkins Abernethy, Historical Sketch of the University of Virginia (University of Virginia Alumni Fund 1958).
United States Task Force on the Administration of Justice, The President’s Commission on Law Enforcement and Administration of Justice, Task Force Report: The Courts (U.S. Government Printing Office 1967) [Annotated; additional copy in Virginia Law Library collection].
William Prickett, In My Father’s House (Cedar Tree Press 1993).
Tapes Index—August 1977-1980; Index of audio tapes compiled by Prof. Daniel Meador
Tapes Index – 1982-1993; Index of audio tapes compiled by Prof. Daniel Meador
Tapes Index—c.1990-1999; Index of audio tapes compiled by Prof. Daniel Meador
Daniel J. Meador, Honorary Fellow, American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, (Aug. 6, 1994)
Daniel J. Meador, Associate Member of the Dean’s Council, University of Virginia School of Law (Feb. 2, 1998)
Daniel J. Meador, Samuel E. Gates Litigation Award, American College of Trial Lawyers (Apr. 9, 1986) [Signed by Griffin B. Bell]
Photographs [placed in photograph collection, Law Library Special Collections]
c.1957-1962; Farmer, Francis with Prof. Daniel Meador
c.1957-1962; Law Library: Clark Memorial Hall, Late 50’s early 60’s [2 photographs, 2 copies]
c.1957-1962; Libel Show: Unidentified Students , late 1950’s early 1960’s [2 photographs, 2 copies]
c.1957-1962; Students Unidentified: Clark Hall, Late 50’s early 60’s [5 photographs, copies already in photograph collection]
1971; The American Bar Association in Westminster Hall – July 14, 1971 [placed in oversized photograph collection]
1979; Department of Justice – July 1979
1991; Quayle, Daniel: Photograph of Daniel Meador with Vice Pres. Dan Quayle (Autographed)
1994; Alabama Supreme Court [2 photographs]
1995; Graduate Program for Judges: Class of 1995: Graduation Snapshots [2 photographs]
1996; Judges and Faculty of Graduate Program for Judges, Class of 1998, Summer 1996 [placed in folder with copy in photograph collection]
1996; Meador, Daniel: SJI Board of Directors Reunion
Photograph of former SJI Board of Directors members, Alexandria, VA, November 1996, 20th Anniversary Reunion
2000; Judges and Faculty of Graduate Program for Judges, Rotunda Dinner, July 2000 [placed in folder with copy in photograph collection]
Box of notecards with research conducted in 1976
Box of notecards containing braille print.
The Rotunda Restored, A Bicentennial Portrait, poster by Robert Childress, 1976. [Oversized cabinet]
|Access||There are no restrictions.|
|Use Restrictions||There are no restrictions.|
Addendum to the Papers of Daniel J. Meador 1959-1975, MSS 82-3e, Box Number, Special Collections, University of Virginia Law School Library
|Unless otherwise stated, digital materials in our collections are available for use under a Creative Commons BY 4.0 License (CC-BY-4.0). For Use and Citation guidelines, see Special Collections Use Policy.|