|Title:||Addendum to the Papers of Jeffrey O'Connell [d]|
|Parent Collection:||The Papers of Jeffrey O'Connell|
|Location:||This collection is stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections before your visit to ensure your papers are available.|
|Photograph Collection:||View 0 digitized photographs|
|Digitized Content:||0 objects|
|Use Restrictions:||There are no restrictions.|
Collection Description & Arrangement
This collection contains correspondence from 1986, speaking files from 1972 - 1986 and miscellaneous files of drafts and correspondence.
Biographical & Historical Information
Jeffrey O'Connell is a specialist in accident and insurance law and co-author of the principal work that proposed no-fault insurance. Most recently O'Connell has designed an "early offers" plan where businesses facing personal injury lawsuits could promptly pay injured parties for out-of-pocket medical expenses and lost wages.
After O'Connell graduated from Harvard Law School, he was a trial lawyer in Boston with the firm of Hale & Dorr. He came to Virginia in 1980 after 16 years at the University of Illinois. He also has taught at the University of Iowa and has been a visiting professor at Northwestern, the University of Michigan, Southern Methodist University, the University of Texas at Austin, the University of Washington, and Oxford and Cambridge universities in England. He was the recipient of Guggenheim fellowships in 1973 and 1979. In 1989 he was the Thomas Jefferson Visiting Fellow at Downing College, Cambridge University and, in 1991, the John Marshall Harlan Visiting Distinguished Professor at New York Law School. In 1992 he received the Robert B. McKay Award for Tort and Insurance Scholarship from the American Bar Association.
O'Connell has served on the board of directors of Consumers Union, the Educational Advisory Board of the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, and the Medical and Safety Committee of the NCAA.
Since 1966 he has written or co-written 12 books dealing with accident law, published dozens of articles on tort and insurance law, and lectured extensively throughout the United States and the world.
|Donor Information||This addendum to the Papers of Jeffrey O'Connell was donated to the Law Library on March 1, 1988 by Jeffrey O'Connell.|
- 1986; Correspondence: A-C [6 folders]
- 1986; Correspondence: D-H [7 folders]
- 1986; Correspondence: I-M [8 folders]
- 1986; Correspondence: M-R [10 folders]
- 1986; Correspondence: Ruedlinger-V [7 folders]
- 1986; Correspondence: W-Z [2 folders]
- 1951-66; Airforce: O'Connell [2 folders]
- 1983-84; Atiyah Memos and File
- 1966; Basic Protection Contract
- 1972-3; Congressmen in Cabinet
- 1967-78; Evaluations: Illinois
- 1986; Grover Article: Earlier Drafts [2 folders]
- 1986-87; HALT M/M Brochure n.d.; Harper and James MS [galleys]
- 1974; Series of articles re accident compensation in New Zealand and Australia
- 1980-83; Speaking Engagements: Expenses
- 1985-86; Speaking Engagements
- 1972-73; Speech Coaching
- 1976-77; Speech Coaching Memoranda and Correspondence
- 1983-84; Van Yahres [2 folders]
|Access||There are no restrictions.|
|Use Restrictions||There are no restrictions.|
Papers of Jeffrey O'Connell, MSS 84-3d, Box Number, Special Collections, University of Virginia Law Library
|Unless otherwise stated, digital materials in our collections are available for use under a Creative Commons BY 4.0 License (CC-BY-4.0). For Use and Citation guidelines, see Special Collections Use Policy.|