Collection Description & Arrangement
Arthur I. Schulman, Associate Professor of Psychology at the University, was one of the organizers of the American Civil Liberties Union in Charlottesville. He began to recruit members in 1966, and on November 17th at the Thomas Jefferson Unitarian Church, the Charlottesville chapter was formed at a public meeting. Schulman became chairman of the Virginia Chapter in 1969.
This four-box collection consists of correspondence, minutes of meetings, and directories that Mr. Schulman in his capacity of secretary and later chairman accumulated between 1969 and 1972. The papers document the work of the members and some of the issues that concerned them during the late sixties and early seventies.
Schulman donated these to the Law Library in January 1995.
Biographical & Historical Information
Arthur I. Schulman, Associate Professor of Psychology at the University, was one of the organizers of the American Civil Liberties Union in Charlottesville. Schulman became chairman of the Virginia Chapter in 1969.
|Donor Information||This collection was donated to the Law Library by Schulman in January of 1995.|
- 1970; ACLU By-Laws
- 1967-1969; ACLU Charlottesville -- Vitae of Board Members
- 1966-69; ACLU Correspondence [5 folders]
- 1969-70; ACLU Correspondence [4 folders]
- n.d.; ACLU-Court Observers Program
- 1968-1970; ACLU Tri-Affiliate
- 1968-1971; ACLU Va. Dossiers Committee -- Minutes of Chapter Board Meetings (excludes Central Virginia Chapter)
- 1964-1969; Five Year Report of the Southern Regional Office
- 1968-1970; Board of Directors -- Office Output, Committee Reports, Minutes of Committee Meetings
- ; Foundation
- 1972; Fundraising
- 1968-1971; Legal Program
- 1968-1970; Minutes of Affiliate Board Meetings, Announcements, Agenda [2 folders]
- 1967-1970; Minutes of Board Meetings of Central Virginia Chapter
- n.d.; Miscellaneous Papers
- 1967-1972; Miscellaneous Papers [3 folders]
- 1968-1971; Newspaper Clippings
- 1968-1969; Office Output (to chapters, general membership, etc. Does not include Board Material or Press Releases)
- 1968-1969; Press Releases
- 1968; Civil Liberties and the University Student -- A One Day Conference. [Lists of names]
- 1969-1970; Civil Liberties in Virginia
- 1970; Cranberg v. UVA Affair. Correspondence
- 1968; The Virginia Weekly.
- 1970; The Policy Guide of the American Civil Liberties Union. Copy 759. Revised 1970. [Professor's Schulman personal copy added to the collection in 2013].
|Access||There are no restrictions.|
|Use Restrictions||There are no restrictions.|
Papers of Arthur I. Schulman Concerning the Virginia ACLU, MSS 95-1, Box Number, Special Collections, University of Virginia Law Library
|Unless otherwise stated, digital materials in our collections are available for use under a Creative Commons BY 4.0 License (CC-BY-4.0). For Use and Citation guidelines, see Special Collections Use Policy.|