|Creator:||Martin, David A.|
|Title:||Addendum to the Papers of David A. Martin [c]|
|Parent Collection:||Addendum to the Papers of David A. Martin [c]|
|Description:||29 boxes; 17.5 linear feet|
|Location:||This collection is stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections before your visit to ensure your papers are available.|
|Photograph Collection:||View 0 digitized photographs|
|Digitized Content:||0 objects|
|Use Restrictions:||Some restrictions apply.|
Collection Description & Arrangement
This addition to the papers of professor Martin papers constitute a complement to those that the library has received previously. Martin donated these papers in May of 2016 upon his retirement. The bulk of them consist of professional files divided in five sub-groups:
INS files from his tenure as General Counsel of the INS (1994-1996). General files about the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996; asylum procedures and reform, refugees; Detention and Deportation Program; Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigration Responsibility Act of 1996; naturalization. Also, some cases and internal administrative files and suggestions for reorganization.
Professional files related to his work as an expert in asylum, refugee and immigration law. Includes files re American Society of International Law, International Rescue Committee, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.
UVA Law School files (1989 – 2015): teaching materials, class notes, examinations, charts and other pertinent papers to his lectures in Citizenship and Membership, Constitutional Law, Immigration Law, Seminar on Ethical Values, International Law, International Human Rights Law, Refugee Law. Also files re Law School committees and projects.
Writing Projects related to publications of books, articles and op-ed pieces.
Events files relate to the numerous invitations and international conferences where he participated.
The papers retained the original organization found in two file cabinets. They consist of 39 boxes (17.5 linear ft.). In addition, this guide has a list of all Martin printed articles in the faculty collection of the library.
Biographical & Historical Information
David A. Martin, Henry L. & Grace Doherty Charitable Foundation Professor of Law, was born in 1948. He received his B.A. from DePauw University in 1970 and his J.D. from Yale University in 1975. He clerked for Judge J. Skelly Wright, at U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia from 1975-1976, and the next year for Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr. at the U.S. Supreme Court. From 1977-1978 he worked as an associate with Rogovin, Stern & Huge in District of Columbia. He left the firm to become Assistant Secretary for Human Rights and Humanitarian Affairs at the Department of State from 1978-1980. Later in 1980 he came to the University of Virginia Law School as an assistant professor, and was promoted to associate professor in 1985.
In 1984-1985 he was a German Marshall Fund and Ford Foundation Research Fellow in Geneva, Switzerland. In 1995 Martin took a leave of absence from the Law School to work as General Counsel of the Immigration and Naturalization Service in Washington, until December 1997 when he returned to Charlottesville. Martin teaches courses in Constitutional Law, Immigration Law, International Law.
|Donor Information||David A. Martin donated this addendum papers to the Law Library in June of 2017.|
- 1996; AEDPA [Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996] Legislative History, Pub. L. 104-132, 110 Stat. 1212 [AEDPA] (5 folders)
- 1996; AEDPA Documents – memoranda, correspondence. [HQCOU 50/5.11.1-C: AEDPA Draft Regulations, Forms, and Field Manual and Other Procedural Guidance (8/26/1996); President Clinton Statement Signing Statement of S735, Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act 94/24/1996); Implementation Strategy for AEDPA (1995-5-2); Draft Memorandum re Exclusion Provisions of Antiterrorism and Effective Penalty Act of 1996 (1996-08-12); summaries of cases on AEDPA and IIRIRA]
- 1982; “Asylum Adjudications: An Evolving Concept and Responsibility for the Immigration and Naturalization Service,” INS, Washington, June 1982
- 1993-1994; Asylum Consultations – memoranda: Interbranch Committee on Immigration Reform (11/3/1993); Removals Task Force (1993-11-29); Deportation Reform, Primary Fields for Needed Changes and Preliminary List of Possible Ideas (draft, 1994-07-18); Summary of Immigration Related Crime Bill Provisions.
- 1994; Asylum Reform Consulting – administrative file [Includes INS Public Information Handout, Policy Background: Implementing Comprehensive Asylum reform: A Balanced Approach (1994-12)
- 1994, 1996; Asylum Reform – In re: Jude Nimesh Winslow (1996-08-06); fact sheets and news releases from INS
- 1995; Border Patrol – Legal Analysis of Border Patrol Checkpoints, SDC/COU/PDB revised 1995-08-01
- 1995; [Cambodia] – “The Processing of Cambodian Refugees: Second Sentence Aspects,” A Joint Report of The Bureau for Refugee Programs, Department of State and the Immigration and Naturalization Service, Department of Justice (March 1985)
- 1995-1997; Correspondence (Personal) received during tenure as General Counsel of INS
- 1998; Correspondence (Administrative) re Martin.
- 1994; Deportation and Removal Working Group – memoranda, agenda, working papers. Documents included are: Detention and Deportation Program, DDP, 1994-02-10; Deportation and Removal Working Group Alien Abscondee Policy Subgroup Recommendations (1994-05-19); Deportation and Removal Working Group Technology Recommendations (1994-05-19); Proposed U.S. Asylum Adjudication System Detailed Description (draft, 1993-11); APP I-383 Examination Handbook Permission to Reapply for Admission Into the United States After Deportation of Removal Law: 212(a)(16 and (17); some printed cases
- 1997, Feb. 6; [Deportation of Irish Nationals to Ireland] – Briefing Materials for David Martin, General Counsel , Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service before the Ad Hoc Committee on Irish Affairs concerning the Deportation from the United States of Irish Nationals to Ireland
- 1997; Detention and Deportation Program Briefing Book
- 1997; Detention of Aliens, Detention Use Policy (draft, 1997-06-1997); Brad’s Detention “Cheat Sheet”
- 1995, June; District Counsel Conference, Chicago, Illinois, June 19; 1995. [File contains INS memoranda; Notes; Attorney Advisory Committee Report & Discussion; Tannebaum and Schmidt, “How to choose a leadership pattern,” Harvard Business Review, 1973]
- 1997, Dec.; District Counsel Conference, San Francisco, California – correspondence and “Remarks for District Counsel Conference: Bernie Braun’s Retirement”
- 1995-1997; Events – [File contains Martin’s handwriting notes for varied events where he participated as General Counsel for the INS]
- 1994-1998; General Counsel Position, Martin’s Personal File (2 folders) [Restricted]
- 1995-1996; IIRIRA [Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigration Responsibility Act of 1996] – Views Letters and Responses. [Included are: Testimony of Doris Meissner, Commissioner, before the Senate Judiciary Committee concerning S. 269, The Immigration Control and Financial Act of 1995 and Immigration Enforcement Improvements Act of 1995 (1995-03-14); Letter from Kent Markus, Acting Assistant Attorney General to Senator Alan K. Simpson, Chairman, Subcommittee on Immigration, Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate (1995-06-07); Letter from Jamie S. Gorelick, Deputy Attorney General to Rep. Henry J. Hyde, Chairman, Subcommittee on Immigration, Committee on the Judiciary, United States House of Representatives (1995-09-15); Statement of Doris Meissner before the Subcommittee on Immigration of the Senate Judiciary Committee concerning Legal Immigration Reform (1995-09-13); Primary Issues of Concern to INS, House and Senate Versions of H.R. 2202; Unsigned letter from the Office of the Deputy Attorney General to Orrin G. Hatch, Chairman, Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate (1996-02-/14); Letter from Jamie S. Gorelick, to Richard A, Gephardt, Minority Leader, US House of Representatives (1996-03-13); Letter from Andrew Fois, Assistant Attorney General to Robert Dole, Majority Leader, US Senate (1996-04-16); Office of the Attorney General unsigned letter to Lamar Smith, Chairman, Subcommittee on Immigration and Claims, Committee on the Judiciary, US House of Representatives (1996-05-31) (2 folders)
- 1995-1996; IIRA Documents I and II – drafts, proposed amendments, letters, memoranda, summaries, working papers, news articles re H.R. 2202, Legal Immigration Reform (5 folders)
- 1996; IIRIRA Documents – S. 1664 [Report No. 104-249], 104th Cong. 2d., April 10, 1996; S. 754 To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to more effectively prevent illegal immigration by improving control over the land borders of the United States …, 104th Cong., 1st Sess., May 3, 1995; S. 1665 [Report No. 104-250] To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to reform standards and procedures for the lawful admission of immigrants and nonimmigrants into the Unites States, 104th Cong., 2d Sess. , April 10, 1996 ; Side by Side Comparison Charts of House and Senate Versions of H.R. 2202; H.R. 2202, An Act to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to improve deterrence of illegal immigration to the Unites States …, 104th Cong. 2d Sess., April 15, 1996; Substitute to S. 269, Immigration and Financial Control Responsibility Act of 1996, INS Proposed En Bloc Amendments (2 folders)
- 1996; IIRIRA – key package used on visits to conferences on IIRIRA: Summary of the FY 97 Budget Amendment to Address the AEDPA (1996-06-03); Special Exclusion in Extraordinary Migration Situations, Sec. 235 (1996-06 and 12 and 26); Proposed Amendments to H.R. 2202; Key INS Issues Under AEDPA; Primary Issues of Concern to INS, House and Senate Versions of H.R. 2202 (1996-06-05); Miscellaneous and Technical Amendments to INA Needed After Amendment by Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996 (Pub. L. 104-1320 [AEDPA] (1996-07-25); IIRIRA Implementation Conclusions.
- 1996; IIRIRA – Briefing Book for the House and Senate Conference on H.R. 2202. Side by Side Comparisons (2 folders)
- 1996-1997; IIRIRA – ITCA [Immigration Technical Corrections Act]. File includes ITCA 97 Amendments to INA and drafts of “A Bill Making technical amendments to the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952, the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, and the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996, in order to clarify and correct provisions therein.”
- ca. 1997-1998; IIRITA – NACARA [Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act] Memorandum re Interim Guidance and copy of letter from Senators Ted Kennedy Spencer Graham, Subcommittee on Immigration to Janet Reno.
- 1996-1997; IIRIRA Implementation – memoranda, drafts, plans, correspondence, comments (4 folders)
- 1996; Kasinga Case – In re Fauziya Kasinga, File B A 73 476 695 – Elizabeth (1996-06-03), motions, hearing (1996-05-02); Statement of INS, Martin’s notes; DOJ memoranda (2 folders)
- 1994-1998; INS – Key INS Forms and Questionnaires for Employees. [Martin’s personal folder] Some Restrictions Apply
- 1988, April; INS – Legal Immigration Reform Plan. INS Proposal to Attorney General and President for Reagan Administration Legislative Initiative
- 1998, 2000; INS – Martin’s Affidavit for Guadalupe R. Gonzalez v. Janet Reno, Case No. 1:00cv00241
- 1996, Mar. 12; INS – Testimony of David A. Martin, General Counsel, Immigration and Naturalization Service, U. S. Department of Justice before the Senate Committee on the Budget Concerning the Use of Affidavits of Support to Overcome an Alien’s Exclusion as a Likely Public Charge and S. 1394, Immigration Reform Act of 1995
- 1994-1995; INS Immigration related reports, bills and public laws of the 104th Congress [lists]
- 1996, Sep. 5; INS – Statement of David Martin, General Counsel for the Department of Justice Immigration and Naturalization Service before the House Committee on the Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration and Claims concerning “The Removal of Criminal and Illegal Aliens,.“ File contains: Letter of Invite to Attorney General Janet Reno, witness list, profiles of Members, Martin’s testimony, summary, EOIR [Executive Office of Immigration Reform] testimony of Tony Moscato, comments of Member’s staff, INS responses to possible questions, status letters from Members of the Subcommittee, background information]
- 1993-1995; INS – Return of Rejected Asylum Seekers [Intergovernmental Consultations on Asylum, Refugee and Migration Policies in Europe, North America and Australia, Meeting on Return and Readmission, Nyon, 16-17 September 1993]. File Documents are: IOM: “Policies and Practices with Respect to Asylum Seekers,” Informal note on the national and international legal framework (n.d.); U.S. Department of Justice Immigration and Naturalization Service Opening Statement: Inter-Governmental Consultations Asylum Rejectee Removals (1993?); “The Return pf Unsuccessful Asylum Seekers A Discussion Guide (n.d.); IGC/RET/03/93 Overview, Return of rejected asylum-seekers, Working Paper submitted by the Secretariat for the Inter-governmental Consultations to the meeting on Return and Readmission, Nyon, 16-17 September 1993; “The Reciprocal Arrangement between The Canada Employment and Immigration Commission and the United States Immigration Service, Department of Justice for the Exchange of Deportees between the United States of America and Canada”(1987-07-24); Miller, Mark J.: “Financially-Assisted Alien repatriation from Western Europe, 1974-1993,” prepared for the Commission on Immigration reform (1994-05); SN 4543/92 (WGI 1251) Ad Hoc Group Immigration Confidential Memorandum re “Agreement between the Federal Minister for the Interior of the Federal Republic of Germany and the Ministry of the Interior of Romania on Readmission of German and Romanian Nationals” (1992-11-02); charts of “Ex-Yugoslavs” in other countries (1993); Letter Sent by the Director General of IOM on 13 August 1993 to a Number of Affected and Potential Countries of Transit Concerning the Services which IOM Can Undertake with regard to the Return of Illegal Migrants to the Countries of Origin (1993-08-13); Measures of Restriction of Freedom of Movement and Measures of Detention or Custody of Aliens paper by The Netherlands (n.d.); SN 1907/1/92 (WGI 1032) Ad Hoc Group Immigration Confidential Memorandum re “Agreement between Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Poland on the Readmission of Persons in an Unauthorized Situation” (1993-01-18); Abkommen zwischen der Regierung der Bundesrepublik Deutschland und dem Schweizerischen Bundesrat über die Rückübernahme von Personen mit unbefugten Aufenthalt (Rückübernahmeabkommen), Bonn (1993-12-20); L:\AbtA\A2\Albrecht\04069301: Abkommen zwischen der Regierung der Bundesrepublik Deutschland und der Regierung der Tschechischen Republik über die Rückübernahme von Personnen and der gemeinsamen Staatsgrenze (Rückübernahmeabkommen) (1994-11-03); European Union The Council 10880/94 Memorandum re Draft Council Recommendation concerning a specimen bilateral readmission agreement between a Member State of the European Union and a third country (1994-11-06); European Union The Council 10721/94, memorandum re: Standard travel document for the removal/expulsion of third country foreign nationals – Draft Council Recommendation (1994-11-09); me5-0063-ALA “Readmission Agreements Working Paper” (Translation) (n.d.)
- 1995-1997; INS Miscellaneous Documents, some email correspondence, memoranda – Statement of Doris Meissner, Commissioner of the INS on H.R. 2202 (1995-10-25); Follow-up to October 15 Oversight Hearing: Commission on Immigration Reform – Recommendation on Fourth Preference (1997-10-16); memorandum re meeting with David Martin (1995-06-27); HQCOU 90/15 DOJ Memorandum re : Proposed Procedures for Suspension/Revocation Proceedings Against National Testing Entities Authorized to Conduct Citizenship Testing Under the 1991 Notice of Program (1996-08-13); Maack Marcia Tavares: “The Edwards v. Sparer Interest Law Forum Survey Results (1996-08-23); Immigration and Refugee Board, Ontario, Canada, “Guideline 4: Women Refugee Claimants Fearing Gender-related Persecution,” Update Guidelines issued by the Chairperson Pursuant to Section 65(3) of the Immigration Act, (1996-11-25); Draft of Subpart C – Voluntary Departure §240.25 Voluntary Departure – authority of the Service (1996-12-13); Brien, Hugh J.: Oversight Hearing on FY 1987 Budget, Panel VI – Detention and Deportation (1996-03-11); HQCOU 70/6.1.8 & 70/9 –P DOJ Memorandum re: Sections 203(b) (5) (EB-5) and 21A of the Immigration and Nationality Act (1997-12-19)
- 1995-1997; INS Miscellaneous Documents - DOJ, testimony off Paul Virtue, Acting Executive Associate Commissioner Programs INS regarding The Institutional Hearing Program before the Subcommittee on Immigration and Claims, House Judiciary Committee (1997-07-15); Report 105-338 [to Accompany H.R. 1493] To require the attorney general to establish a program in local prisons to identify, prior to arraignment, criminal aliens who are unlawfully present in the United States, and for other purposes; Amend 8 C.F. R. by Striking Sections 240.25 and 240.26 and inserting in lieu thereof: Voluntary Departure prior to the commencement or conclusion of removal proceedings (n.d.); INS No. 1855-97, AG Order No. RIN 1115-AE88 Procedures for the Detention and release of Criminal Aliens by the Immigration and Naturalization Service and for Custody Redetermination by the Executive Office for Immigration Review (n.d.); DOJ INS Before the Board of Immigration Appeals, In the matter of: Alla Pitcherskaia File A72 143 932, In Deportation Proceedings, Government Memorandum on remand from the Ninth Circuit (1997-10-29)
- 1994, 1997; INS Miscellaneous Internal - correspondence
- 1996 -1998; INS Miscellaneous Internal Files - printed email correspondence and memoranda. [Includes some documents re Torture Convention]
- 1994-1997; INS and DOJ Miscellaneous Memoranda – Effect of Declaring a Treaty to be Non-Self Executing (1994-08-24); Memorandum for Jamie Gorelick re: Use of Military Force to Enforce Immigration Laws (1994-05-10); Vargas v. Reno, 1997 WL 339938, U.S.D.C. S.D. Cal. June 18, 1997 (1997-06-18) ; Parole Authority for Certain Returning Residents Who Have Committed Criminal Offenses (1997-10-22); Results of Offsite Meeting for General Counsel’s Office, Recommendations (1997-10-22); COU 90/16.51 Issuance of First INS Detention Standards and INS Program for Assuring Access to Detained Aliens (n.d.); 96 Act#37 HQCOU 50/5.12 Supplemental Guidelines on the Use of Cooperating Individuals and Confidential Informants following the Enactment of the IIRIRA draft (1997-11-10); EOIR’s Comments to Service’s Proposed Amendments to Asylum Provisions in 8 C.F.R. Part 208 (1997-11-18); Compliance with Immigration Judge’s Order (1997-12-02); Policy Council Decision Memorandum – Guidance on “Public Charge” and the Treatment of Food Stamps ( 1997-12-05); Response to EOIR comments on draft proposed regulation on past persecution (1997-12-17); Section 318 and the eligibility of an inadmissible alien for naturalization (1997-12-19); *CFR Parts 3 and 236, INS No. 1855-97, AG Order No. RIN 1115-AE88: Procedures for the Detention and release of Criminal Aliens by the INS and for Custody Redeterminations by the Executive Office for Immigration Review (draft, undated)
- 1996; INS Miscellaneous Files – drafts and Martin’s notes re priorities as general counsel
- 1998; INS Miscellaneous Files – Voter Fraud Investigation in Orange County, CA during the 1996 Election Cycle
- 1996-1997; INS – NAS [Naturalization Assistance Services, Inc.] Termination [documents and email correspondence and correspondence, memoranda, Position Paper for Testing of INS English and Civics Requirements (undated); draft of Motion for Stay Pending Appeal, Naturalization Assistance Service, Inc. et al v. Immigration and Naturalization Service, et al [E.D. VA. Civ. Action No 96-1837-A]; draft of NAS Motion for Reconsideration Decision (1996-11-18)
- 1996-1997; Naturalization Revocations – documents, Martin’s notes, memoranda. [HQCOU 70/36-P Implementation Guidance: INA §340(h); 8 C. F. R. §340 Standards for Issuance of Notice to Intent to Reopen Naturalization Proceedings (undated); Aggravated Felonies, New Attorney Training Course (1995-09-11); HQ 50/11/11-P Memorandum re Legal Opinion – Amended definition of “aggravated felony” and the section 101(f)(8) bar to good moral character (1996-12-03); United States Attorney Manual (Chapter 7) (1988); Good Moral Character (GMC) Guideline (undated); Memorandum re Requested Report on Revocations (1997-12-08); Role of Attorneys in Administrative Revocation of Naturalization (undated); DOJ Notice of Intent to Revoke Naturalization, Final Notice Affirming Grant of Naturalization, Final Notice of Revocation of Naturalization; draft of Action Plan for Administrative Revocation of Naturalization (undated); DOJ INS form of Application for Naturalization Instructions; Memorandum re Standards to Initiate Revocation of Naturalization Proceedings (1997-04-10); Memorandum for David Martin re Revocation of Citizenship (1997-03-03); Memorandum re: Revocation of Naturalization: Materials Related to recent Changes (1996-11-21); Ineligibility Codes (undated); Action Plan for Administrative Revocation of Naturalization Cases Arising Out of the Lincoln Case Review with charts (1997); HQ70/33-P Request for Legal Opinion; Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. §794, and the naturalization oath, 8 U.S.C. § 1448 ( 1997-01-08)
- 1997; Naturalization Revocation Project (1997-12-01)
- 1997; Naturalization Revocations – Meeting with Steve Colgate – Standard to Revocations Proceedings (1994-04-14)
- 1995; INS Organizational Implementation and Directory
- 1997; INS Personal [David Martin] personal file – postcards, notes, poster, printed emails re farewell from INS
- 1997, Mar.; INS – In the matter of Pearson, Brian Desmond, File A:72 472 870 [Deportation Proceedings]
- 1997, Aug. 15; INS Pilot Disclosure Program for Litigants – Power point presentation.
- 1995; PLFP [Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine Case] - American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee v. Reno, No. CV 87-2107-SVW (C.D. Cal.) – correspondence and memoranda, newspaper clipping
- 1993-1997; INS –Removal Priority General – memoranda reports. [Removals Press Conference (1997-10); Removals by Month reports (1993-1997); Memorandum re Removals Task Force (1993-11-29); Status of County Jail Projects Nationwide; City of New York Department of Correction Fact Pack (undated); David A. Martin’s Remarks at the Removals News Conference (1996-03-28); Memorandum re Inspection of the INS Deportation of Aliens After Final Orders Have Been Issued, Report Number I-96-03 (1996-03-29); INS Monthly Statistical Report (1996-05); DOJ INS Removal of Criminal and Other Illegal Aliens (1996-07); Remarks for David Martin Alien removals News Conference (1996-07-26); Memorandum re Final Inspection Report INS Deportation of Aliens After Final Orders Have Been Issued, March 1996: Report I-96-03 (1996-10-27); DOJ INS Office of Policy and Planning Monthly Removals Report, October 1996 (1996-12-09); DOJ INS Office of Policy and Planning Monthly Removals Report FY 1996 Year End Report, October 1996 (1996-11-07); Remarks of General Counsel David Martin, Removals News Conference (1997-02-10)]
- 1997; INS – Removal Priority General – memoranda, reports. [Memorandum re Proposed Regulation to Implement the Transition Period Custody Rules (undated); file about enquiry on removal arrangements negotiated by Canada with foreign countries (1997); “The Need to Restore the Attorney General’s Flexibility to detain Certain Noncriminal Aliens” (undated); “Criminal Removals by Country of Nationality 1993-1997” (1997-04-18); DOJ INS Office of Policy and Planning Monthly Removals Report July 1997 (1997-08-26); DOJ INS Report on Detention and Release of Criminal and Other Aliens (1997-08); Detention and Deportation “Weekly Analysis” of Criminal Aliens in Custody (1997-10-15); DOJ INS Office of Planning Monthly Removals Report FY 1997 Year End Report (1997-10-23)]
- 1997-1998; INS – Removal Priority General – memoranda, reports. [DOJ INS Office of Planning Monthly Removals Report March 1998 (1998-04-27); DOJ INS Data Compiled by Detentions and Removals, Office of Field Operations (undated); GAO/T-GGD-97-154: “Criminal Aliens INS’s Efforts to Identify and Remove Imprisoned Aliens Need to be Improved,” Statement of Norman J. Rabkin, Director, Administration of Justice Issues, General Government Division (1997-07-15); Bureau of Justice Assistance: “The Interstate Criminal Alien Working Group’s Report on Addressing the Criminal Alien Problem” (1996-08)
- 1993, 1997; INS Internal – Removals – Memoranda, Data on Voluntary Departures. [Documents, correspondence, notes]
- 1996; INS Internal – Removals – Memoranda: HQCOU 90/22.1 INS Position Regarding Forum in Which an Alien May Raise Constitutional Claims in Light of Session 242(g) of 1he 1996 Act (1996-10-17); HQCOU 90/22.1 Position of INS and EOIR On Options Paper Regarding Forum in Which an Alien May Raise Constitutional Claims om Light of INA Section 242(g) as Amended by the 1996 Act ( 1996-11-05); HQCOU 90/22.1 Further Points Addressing Options Paper Regarding Forum in Which an Alien May Raise Constitutional Claims (1996-11-27); FWH:PDB:RLB:MPLS:CCF:MH 39-12c-2228 Alternatives for Adjudicating Constitutional Challenges to Removal Actions Under the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (1996-11-20); Memo re Assistance by State and Local Police in Apprehending Illegal Aliens (1996-02-05)
- 1997-1998; INS – Monthly Removals Reports October 1997; February, March, June 1998
- 1997; INS Reorganization Proposals
- 2001; INS Restructuring proposal
- 1997; INS [Report?] – re hiring, patrol agents, inspectors, special agents, training, inspections in airports, enforcement, alien removals, naturalization, asylum, implementation of Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, border patrol projects, responsibilities
- 2001: INS – Retirement Ceremony for David Nixon
- 1998; INS – Ruiz-Massieu, Mario Salvador Deportation Appeal [2 folders]
- 1998; INS – Ruiz-Massieu, Mario v. Janet Reno [Deportation] [2 folders]
- 1998, May 27; INS – Ruiz-Massieu, Mario Salvador Appeal – No. A74163285 Oral Arguments materials [2 folders]
- 1983-1997; INS – Selected Policy Memoranda Issued by the Office of the General Counsel since January 1, 1983 (published in September 1997) [2 folders]
- 1997; INS Suspension Cap Issues – memoranda, correspondence, drafts of documents re suspension restrictions, suspension issues
- 1997; INS Suspension Legislation – memoranda, correspondence, drafts re new suspension rules, strategies regarding suspension, Immigration Reform Transition Act of 1997, H. R. 2607, suspension of deportation, amendments to H.R. 2107. Includes documents re Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Deportation Relief Act (NACARA) implementation [2 folders]
- 1997; INS United States – Mexico Briefing. XIV Binational Commission, Working Group on Migration and Consular Affairs (1997-05-05)
- 1996; INS Zeliff CUSA [Citizen USA] Inquiry – [William H. Zeliff, Jr., Chairman, Subcommittee on National Security, Committee Government Reform Oversight, House of Representatives] Request of information from INS regarding each person naturalized since Aug. 31, 1995 for whom INS has received information regarding and arrest or conviction of a felony – legal documents, correspondence, memoranda, drafts [2 folders]
- 1981; [Action. The Agency for Volunteer Service. The Vietnam Veterans Leadership Program] – Washington Cathedral: “The Vietnam Aftereffects” – correspondence with Rev. Michael P. Hamilton, Canon; draft of John P. Wheeler III: “Theological Reflections on the Vietnam War” for the Anglican Theological Review (Palm Sunday 1981) and news clippings
- 2013, Jun 11; AALS [Association of American Law Schools] Conference, Workshop on Poverty, Immigration and Property
- 2012, Jan. 12-14; ABA Section of Litigation, Winter Leadership Meeting – Immigration Panel
- 2014, Feb.; Acebo Leyva v. Holder Amicus Brief
- 2009; AJIL [American Journal of International Law] Board of Editors – memoranda
- 2011, Fall; AJIL Meeting and Report
- 2012, Nov.; ALM Media Webinar on DACA [Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals]: “Prosecutorial Discretion from the Government Perspective”
- 2013; June 13-15; American Constitutional Society for Law and Policy Constitutional Convention: “Comprehensive Immigration Reform: DREAMs, Possibilities, and Obstacles”
- 2013, Mar. 6-8; Arizona State University Center for the Study of Race and Democracy: “Barack Obama and American Democracy IV. A National Conference for the Study of President Obama and Contemporary America” – email correspondence, brochure
- 2012, Mar. 29; ASIL [American Society of International Law] Annual Meeting – correspondence, papers, and Martin’s notes
- 2013, Apr. 3-7; ASIL] Annual Meeting
- 2014, Apr. 9-12; ASIL Annual Meeting
- 2004; ASIL – Centennial. E-mail correspondence and Martin’s notes.
- 2000-2001, Winter; ASIL Executive Director Nominating Committee [2 folders]
- 2001; ASIL Executive Director Search
- 2003-2004; ASIL Executive Committee – memoranda and some correspondence
- 2005-2006; ASIL Executive Director Search
- 2011-2013; ASIL Roundtables on International Law and Security – correspondence, papers, documents, news clippings, Martin’s notes. [Includes: Melzer, Nils: “Interpretative Guidance on the Notion of Direct Participation in Hostilities under International Humanitarian Law”, ICRC, May 2009; 31IC/11/5.1.1 Report Strengthening legal protection for victims of armed conflicts, Document prepared by the ICRC, October 2011; Winkler, Thomas: “The Copenhagen Process on Detainees: a Necessity (2012-03); UN Human Rights Office of the High Commissioner Statement by Ben Emmerson, UN Special Rapporteur on Counter-Terrorism and Human Rights concerning the launch of and inquiry into the civilian impact, and human rights implications of the use of drones and other forms of targeted killing for the purpose of counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency; A/HRC/22/52 Human Rights Council Report of the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism, Ben Emmerson (2013-03-01)
- 2013, Mar. 21-23; Boston College Sesquicentennial Symposium: “Migration: Past, Present, Future”
- 2014, May 23; Boston College Conference on Draft Convention on the Rights of Forcibly Expelled Persons.
- 2013, Mar. 25; Charlottesville Committee on Foreign Relations – Justice Richard J. Goldstone (South Africa) Remarks: “International Law and Justice: Challenges and Prospects”
- 2013, Dec. 5; Chinese Immigration Officials Lecture at UVA Law School – Martin’s presentation on “The US Immigration System”
- 2013; Consulting – Senator Michael Bennett (D-CO) re “Border Security Bill” [draft of Comments on Proposed “Outcome-Based Border Security Act of 2013” (2013-03-31)
- 2004; Council on Foreign Relations Conference: David A. Martin: “Guest Worker Programs and Hasty Legalization Plans: A Skeptical take” (draft)
- 2012, Jun. 22; Council on Foreign Relations Meeting: “Illegal Immigration in the United States”
- 2013, May 15; Darden School of Business Faculty Retreat; Tom Donilon UVA Visit (2013-08-13)
- 2012, Apr. 30 – May 1; DHS [Department of Homeland Security] Five Country Conference, Charlottesville.
- 2014, Mar.; DHS House Staff DC Trip: “Interior Enforcement” – Martin’s notes, correspondence. David A. Martin: “What Would an Unbroken Immigration System Look Like” (Keynote Address, The Miller Center’s Galbraith Conference on Immigration reform: Politics, Policy and Process, Washington, D.C., October 11, 2013); “Further Ideas for Immigration Reform” (draft, 2014-02-25); DHS Appropriations Act, 2014
- 1981; Department of Health and Human Services: Cuban/Haitian Entrant Program Operating Manual (1981-03-20)
- 1980; Department of State – A Report of the Cuban-Haitian Task Force (1980-11-01)
- 2013, Jan. 10-11; Duke Journal of Constitutional Law and Public Policy, The Kenan Institute for Ethics, and the Program in Public Law Symposium: “ Perspectives on Migration, Governance, and Citizenship”
- 2010, Feb. 18; Edward Bennet Williams Inn of Court: Guantanamo Legal Issues
- 1983-1990; European Contacts and References – correspondence, directories, cartes de visite
- 1984-1985; European Consultation on Refugees & Exiles: Zeit II Seminar on Restrictive Asylum Policy in Europe – notes, papers, press release
- 2014, Oct. 6-7; Georgetown University Institute for the Study of International Migration (ISIM) Conference – reports, notes, some correspondence
- 2013, Feb.; Hailbronner Festschrift in honor of Kay Hailbronner 70th Birthday. Includes: David A. Martin: Dual Citizenship: Reflections of Theodore Roosevelt’s “Self-Evident Absurdity”
- 2012; Hofstra University School of Law: Immigration Law Teachers Workshop – DAM handwritten notes, brochure
- 1984; IACL [International Association of Constitutional Law] Conference, Murten, Switzerland – notes, correspondence, remarks
- 1978; International Institute of Human Rights Ninth Study Session: Gilbert Jaeger, Status and International Protection of Refugees.
- 1979, June; International Institute of Humanitarian Law: Round Table on “Refugees in Orbit,” Florence, Italy, 4-6 June 1979
- 2001-2005; IRC [International Rescue Committee] – notes, memoranda, reports: 1999, 1999-2000, 2000-2001
- 2001; IRC – Mitch Daniels Lunch. Correspondence with Mitchell E. Daniels Jr., Director, US Office of Management and Budget re IRC.
- 2001; IRC Security Sub-Committee Meetings of March 14, 2001 and November 6, 2001 – agenda, reports, correspondence, papers, DAM notes. File includes: The Security of National Staff: Toward Good Practices, A Report for InterAction (draft, 2001- 07-09); Antoine Bouvier: Safety of United Nations personnel "Convention on the Safety of United Nations and Associated Personnel": Presentation and analysis and UN documents
- 2002; IRC Security Sub-Committee Meetings of – agenda, reports, correspondence, papers, DAM notes.
- 2002; IRC Guinea Trip – correspondence, program, brochure, agenda, minutes, documents related to the trip, DAM handwritten notes. Includes: Priority Tasks for Prevention of and Response to exploitation of Refugee Women and Children; Briefing de Sécurité Kissidougou (2002-03-13); IRC Monitoring Visit to Guinea Briefing Materials: Guinea UNHCR-NGO Field Security Advisor Governing Agreements with UNHCR (2002-04-18), John Taylor’s Field reports and Security Plan (2003-04-18). UNHCRO/NGO Security Co-ordination – Guinea Monthly Report (2002-03); IRC Guinea Security Policy and Protocol IRC Guinea – April 2002; IRC Programme en Guinée (2002-04); IRC Annual report 2000 Guinea Liberia Sierra Leone; Inter-Agency Standing Committee, FAO Headquarters: IASC Policy Statement on Protection from Sexual Abuse and Exploitation in Humanitarian Crises (2002-04-02); Sexual Exploitation in West Africa Remedial and Preventive Actions (Report No. 1) (2001-11); Sexual Exploitation in West Africa Remedial and Preventive Actions (Report No. 2) (2002-11-03); Sexual Exploitation in West Africa Remedial and Preventive Actions (Report No. 3) (2002-03-20); Motorcycle Policy – IRC Guinea (2002-01); Inter-Agency Standing Committee, FAO Headquarters: Indicative Plan of Action of the IASC Task Force on the Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse in Humanitarian Crises (2002-04-04); Note for Implementing and Operational Partners by UNHCR and Save the Children-UK on Sexual Violence & Exploitation: The Experience of Refugee Children in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, based on Initial Findings and Recommendations from Assessment Mission (2002-02)
- 2003; IRC Refugee Admissions Committee Materials
- 2003, Mar.; IRC Board Meeting – correspondence and materials re security screening process.
- 2013, May 9; JAG School – meeting with prosecutors and judges of the Palestinian Authority Security Forces
- 2013, Jan. 22; Letter to Diane Feinstein supporting John Brennan Appointment as CIA Director
- 1988-1989; Miller Center of Public Affairs Advisory Committee – correspondence
- 2012, Dec. 7; Miller Center 2012 Mortimer Caplin Conference on the World Economy – schedule, brochure, papers. Includes: “High-Skilled Immigration: Politics, Economics, and Law” – schedule, brochure, papers. Includes: Jennifer Hunt: “Are Immigrants the Best and Brightest U.S. Computer and Engineering Workers?”; Ron Hira: “Highly-Skilled Immigration Policy: Problems, Misconceptions, and Solutions”; Peter Schuck and John E. Tyler: “US Policy Regarding Highly Skilled Immigrants: Change Whose Time Has Come”; Susan Martin: “Labor Migration to the United States: Challenges and Opportunities”; Michael G. Finn: “What do Stay of Foreign S/E Doctorates Tell Us About the Need for Visa Policy Changes”; Gary Freeman: “Competing for Skill: The Politics of Immigrant Selection in Democracies”; Giovanni Facchini: “Attracting skilled immigrants: An overview or recent policy developments in advance countries”; Pia M. Orrenius: “Designing a Better High-Skilled Immigrant Admissions Policy”; Michael S. Teitelbaum: “Admission and Retention of Highly-Skilled International Students”; Martin’s notes
- 2013, Oct. 11; Miller Center The Rosemary P. and John W. Galbraith Conference on Immigration: Immigration Reform, Politics, Policy and Process – brochure, schedule, papers. Includes: David A. Martin: “What Would an Unbroken Immigration System Look Like?”; Nancy Foner: “Memorandum: The Historical Legislative and Cultural Context for Immigration Reform”; Dan Tichenor: “Huddled Elites and Restive Publics: Some Reflections on the Dynamics of American Immigration Reform”; Rey Koslowski: “The American Way of Border Control and the Politics of Immigration Reform”; “The Way Forward on Immigration Reform, A Memo to the President and the Congress”, The Galbraith Initiative on Immigration, A Report by the Miller Center at the University of Virginia (2014-01); press release
- 2014, Sep. 10-11; Miller Center Immigration Debate – correspondence, notes. Includes David A. Martin; “Resolved: the Number of Undocumented Immigrants in the U.S. Must Be Dramatically Reduced Through Greatly Expanded Enforcement – Team Arguing the Negative”
- 2004-2006; MPI [Migration Policy Institute] Independent Task Force on Immigration and America’s Future – DAM notes, proposals, questionnaire, reports, agendas, memoranda, correspondence, recommendations, charts. Includes the Pew Hispanic Center Report: Jeffrey S. Passel: Estimates of the Size and Characteristics of the Undocumented Population (2005-03-21) [2 folders]
- 2008; MPI Nonresident Fellowship
- 2012, June 25; MPI Meeting: Border Metrics
- 2011; National Academy of Public Administration (NAPA) Meeting: “Governing in Crisis” – correspondence, program, notes
- 2014, Oct. 15; NYU, Yale University et al Roundtable on “The President and Immigration Reform.” Includes MPI: “Executive Action for Unauthorized Immigrants: Estimates of the Populations that could Receive Relief” (2014-09-04); news clippings, notes.
- 1993-2008; Phone Notes – DAM extensive notes of phono conversations.
- 1986; San Diego Border Visit – [documents from the US Border Patrol, San Diego Border Patrol Sector]
- 1996; UNHCR [United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees] – correspondence, memoranda, statements, news release, calendar, news clippings, printed materials. Includes correspondence between Canadian and US officials and preliminary draft of agreement between Canada and the United States Regarding Refugee Claims (1995-10-24); Press Briefing by Phyllis Oakley, Assistant Secretary of State and David Martin, General Counsel, U.S. INS at the US Mission, Geneva, Switzerland (1996-10-10); A/AC.96/863 UN 47th Session: Note on International Protection (1996-07-01); Statement by Nurjehan Mawani, Chairperson, Immigration and refugee Board on the Release of the Guidelines on Child Refugee Claimants (1996-08-26); Opening Statement by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees at the Forty-seventh Session of the Executive Committee of the High Commissioner’s Programme (1996-10-06); Australia UN High Commission for Refugees Executive Committee Statement by Hon Philip Ruddock MP Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (1996-10-07); United States Mission to International Organizations, U.S. Statement to the 47th Executive Committee of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees by Phyllis E. Oakley: “The Pursuit and Implementation of Durable Solutions” (1996-10-07
- 2007; Visa Project with Susan Ginsburg – correspondence, notes, memorandum
- n.d.; Warren, George, Sr. Report: The Development of United States Participation in Intergovernmental Efforts to Resolve Refugee Problems [photocopy]
Law School Files (Class Notes, Law School Files and Teaching Materials)
- 1992; Citizenship and Membership class notes and teaching materials. Includes course outline, correspondence, reading materials, class roster, DAM notes [2 folders]
- 2004; Citizenship and Membership class notes, reading materials and a student paper.
- 2006; Citizenship and Membership class notes and teaching materials
- 2006, 2008; Citizenship and Membership Examinations
- 2008, Jan. Term; Citizenship and Membership class notes and teaching materials. Includes course outline, correspondence, reading materials, class roster, DAM notes
- 1982-2013; Constitutional Law I and II Examinations
- 1987; Constitutional Law Course Coverage and Sequencing – correspondence and memoranda
- 1983-2014; Immigration Law Examinations [2 folders]
- 2002-2014; Immigration Law - class notes and teaching materials. Includes course outline, correspondence, reading materials, class roster, DAM notes [includes materials of previous years] [2 folders]
- 2013, Fall; Immigration Law – Inadmissibility Exercise [some student papers]
- 2002-2003; Seminar in Ethical Values (taught with Prof. John Cannon) - class notes and teaching materials. Includes correspondence, reading materials, class roster, DAM notes
- 1992; International Human Rights Law, Fall 1992 – reading materials
- 1999; International Human Rights Law - class notes and teaching materials.
- 2000; International Human Rights Law - class notes and teaching materials. Includes course outline, correspondence, reading materials, class roster, DAM notes [2 folders]
- 2005; International Human Rights - class notes and teaching materials. Includes course outline, correspondence, reading materials, class roster, DAM notes [3 folders]
- 2003-2005; International Human Rights – materials on detention and interrogation
- 1982-2005; International Human Rights Examinations
- 1995; International Law Spring 1995 - class notes (includes class notes from 1991 and 1993) and teaching materials. Includes course outline, correspondence, reading materials, class roster, DAM notes [3 folders]
- 1998; International Law and the Noble Peace Prize Seminar: reading materials, questions for discussion [Profs. Martin and John Setear] [2 folders].
- 2008; International Law - class notes and teaching materials. Includes course outline, correspondence, reading materials, class roster, DAM notes
- 1989, 1993, 1998, 2008 and n.d.; International Law Examinations and Student Course/ Teacher Evaluations
- 2001-2014; Presidential Powers – Examinations
- 2005; Presidential Powers Fall 2005 – syllabus and teaching materials.
- 2011; Presidential Powers - class notes and teaching materials. Includes course outline, reading materials, DAM notes
- 2013, Fall; Presidential Powers - class notes and teaching materials. Includes course outline, correspondence, reading materials, class roster, DAM notes [2 folders]
- 2014; Presidential Powers Class Notes - class notes and teaching materials. Includes course outline, correspondence, reading materials, class roster, DAM notes [f. 1]
- 2014; Presidential Powers Class Notes - class notes and teaching materials. Includes course outline, correspondence, reading materials, class roster, DAM notes [f. 2]
- 1989; Refugee Law Seminar Spring 1989 - class notes and teaching materials. Includes course outline, reading materials, DAM notes
- 2008-2013; Refugee Law Class Notes and teaching materials
- 2012; Refugee Law Spring 2012 – class notes; “Well Founded Fear” a film by Shari Robertson and Michael Camerini, DVD , correspondence, notes
- 2012; Refugee Law – class notes, teaching materials, DAM notes [2 folders]
- 1995-2012; Refugee Law Examinations
Law School Files
- 2004; Brower, Charles N. (Iran – United States Claims Tribunal) – correspondence re clerkships RESTRICTED
- 2005; Center for Law and Public Policy – The Lloyd N. Cutler Center for Law and Public Policy [Led to Batten School creation] – proposal, email correspondence
- 2006-2009; Clerkship Committee Memoranda RESTRICTED
- 1980; Correspondence with Dean Emerson Spies accepting the faculty position and with Elizabeth Lowe re International Human Rights course [copies]
- 1987- 2015; Correspondence – miscellaneous correspondence. Includes email correspondence and thank you notes [4 folders]
- 1995-1996; Correspondence related to Law School issues while being General Counsel, INS [includes proposal for an asylum/refugee clinic]
- 1993; Cuban Adjustment Act – paper presented by Chip Brower (1993-06-24)
- 2011-2015; Curriculum Committee – file includes Law School Committees 2011-2012; memoranda; e-mail correspondence; DAM notes; Curriculum Committee Report – Fall 2014; agendas
- 2007; D’Orsi, Christiano (Visiting Scholar) draft of thesis and some e-mail correspondence
- 2003-2004; Human Rights Clinic – original proposal, candidates, correspondence
- 2015, Feb.; Human Rights Program 10th Anniversary Event
- 2012; Jessup Competition Sessions
- 1994; John Bassett Moore Society of International Law – correspondence re symposium
- 1995; John Bassett Moore Society of International Law Symposium: “Immigration and the New Century: the Developing Regime” – poster and brochure
- 2012; John Bassett Moore Society of International Law and Virginia Journal of International law Symposium: “Conflicts of Interest: Resolving Differences in Global Legal Norms (2012-02-10) – includes brochure, DAM introduction of Harold Hongju Koh, correspondence
- 2015, Sep. 24; John Bassett Moore Society of International Law, International Human Rights Program and Center for National Security Law: “A conversation with the Chief Prosecutor, Military Commissions, Brigadier General Mark Martins – introductory remarks, poster
- 2012, Sep. 10; Immigration Law Program and J. B. Moore Society of International Law: “Arizona v. United States: Implications of the Supreme Court Ruling Panel” – includes e-mail correspondence, poster and David A. Martin: Reading Arizona, 98 Va L. Rev. (2012)
- 2014, Oct. 24; Immigration Law Program and the Journal of Law and Politics: “The Future of Immigration Enforcement,” A Symposium in honor of Professor David Martin [2 folders]
- 2002; Indiana University School of Law Center for International and Comparative Law Advisory Committee
- 1984-1985; International Human Rights – DAM notes and remarks to Geneva Human Rights classes
- 2012, Oct. 23; Law School Faculty Enrichment Committee Seminar Discussion
- 2014, May 15; Law School – Farewell Remarks for Cary Bennett and Martha Ballenger
- 1992, 1995, 2015; Law School Miscellaneous Memoranda
- 2014; Monroe Leigh Fellowship in International Law Selection Committee
- 1987-2000; S.J.D. – Carmen Tiburcio [2 folders]
- 1998-1999; S. J. D. – files [2 folders]
- 2000-2001; Najwa M. Nabti External Research Project
- Letters of recommendation 1992-2001 (6 folders) RESTRICTED
- Letters of recommendation 2001-2008 (7 folders) RESTRICTED
- Letters of recommendation 2009-2013 (4 folders) RESTRICTED
- Student Independent Study Papers
- 1997-1998; AAAS [American Academy of Arts and Sciences] German-American Project re: Immigration Controls: The Search for Workable Policies in Germany and the United States – correspondence re publication
- c. 1982; Aliens Case Summaries – DAM handwritten notes
- 2005-2006; ASIL 100 Ways Committee – DAM’s article in International Law: 100 Ways it Shapes Our Lives Project
- 2007; ASIL – Agora on Military Commissions Act – [DAM’s Judicial Review and the Military Commissions Act: On Striking the Right Balance] Essay
- 1991-2007; Asylum Case Law Sourcebook – correspondence with publishers
- 1988, Amnesty International Talk and Op-Ed in Daily Progress – Universal Declaration of Human Rights. [Includes flyer of “A Public Vigil” at The Rotunda, December 10, 1988 and Daily Progress Op-Ed of December 18, 1988)
- 2008; Brookings Institution, Hoover Institution, Georgetown University Law School Authors Conference: “Building a Long-Term Legal Architecture for the War on Terror” – correspondence, draft of chapter one, news clippings; testimony of Stephen A. “Tony” Edson, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Visa Service (02/17/2008) to the U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on Science and Technology, Subcommittee on Research and Science Education.
- Demore v. Kim, S. Ct. No 01-1491- briefs, correspondence, notes and David Martin, “Too Many Behind Bars,” n Legal Times, January 27, 2003 (2 folders)
- 2002; Foreign Policy article – David A. Martin and T. Alexander Aleinikoff, Double Ties, “Why Nations Should Learn to Love Dual Nationality,” 80 Foreign Policy (2002) – correspondence
- 1999, Oct 8-9; Georgetown University Law Center – The Supreme Court and Immigration and Refugee Law – [Martin’s article: “On Counterintuitive Consequences and Choosing the Right Control Group: A Defense of Reno v. AADC” – correspondence, news-clippings, handwritten notes.
- 2001-2005; Global Migration Encyclopedia – correspondence and David Martin’s entries.
- 2010; Immigration Case Book Working File – correspondence, drafts
- 2003; Immigration and Citizenship Case Book 5th Edition – notes, email correspondence and research for refuge volume
- 2007; Immigration and Citizenship copyright permissions
- 2011; Immigration and Citizenship 7th edition copyright permissions
- 2003-2005; Immigration Stories [book] – contract and key correspondence re publication
- 2003; “IOM Migration Manual: The Authority and Responsibility of States,” – draft and correspondence
- 2001; Legal Times Op-Ed – “Waiting for Solutions, Extending the Period of Time for Immigrants to Apply for Green Cards Doesn’t Get at the Real Problem,” May 28, 2001
- 2002; Legal Times Op-Ed – “Fixings? Congress Should Take Some Blame for Our Immigration Woes,” April 29, 2002
- 2006; Legal Times Op-Ed – “Points of View: What Lures Them Here,” May 29, 2006
- 2008; Legal Times Op-Ed – “There Must Be Fifty Ways to Debase Immigration Adjudication” – draft
- 2012; Legal Times Op-Ed – “On Crane v. Napolitano and Yale draft (longer version) – drafts, correspondence
- 1999-2000; Moynihan Bill S. 173 and other “Fix 96” Efforts – notes, correspondence, bill
- 2006, Oct 26; NYU Journal of Legislation and Public Policy Symposium Issue: “Fight Myths About Immigration Enforcement” [vol. 10, 2006-2007, no. 3] – correspondence, research materials
- 1993-1994; Rogers, Rosemarie Ed., Towards a New Global Refugee System – Martin’s Chapter: “The Evolution of International Protection” – correspondence, notes
- 2001; September 11th Response in the Immigration Field – miscellaneous drafts of bills and other official documents, press releases, email correspondence. Includes: Memorandum for All United States Attorneys, All Members of the Anti-Terrorism Task Force re Guidelines for the Interviews Regarding International Terrorism (2001-11-09)
- 2008, Fall; Wake Forest Book Chapter: Getting Immigration Right [Eight Myths About Immigration Enforcement]
- 1998, Oct. 8; Washington Post Op-Ed talk re 50th Anniversary of the Adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- 2002- 2004; Washington Post Op-Ed “Ashcroft’s Immigration Threat” (2002-02-26) and NPR Interview – correspondence and research materials
- 2004; Washington Post Op-Ed: “Migrating Toward Trouble (2004-01-11)
- 2012; Jun 24; Washington Post Op-Ed on DACA [Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals]
- 2007-2008; Wittes Volume on War on Terror – Martin’s Notes
- 1990, 1994; Yale Book: Reforming Asylum Adjudication – correspondence
- 2001; Zadvydas Article. Handwritten notes for Martin’s: “Graduated Application of Constitutional Protections for Aliens. The Real Meaning of Zadvydas v. Davis, Supreme Court review 2001.
- 1991, 2002-2204; Writing Projects Miscellaneous Correspondence
- Events and Miscellaneous Files
- 1987, May 1-2; Law Alumni Day – Martin remarks to alumni, notes, research, newspaper clippings, program
- 2012, 2014; Law School Events and Other Commitments – email correspondence and handwritten notes re speakers. Notes for Al Jazeera TV Appearance (2014-04-04)
- Law School Immigration Law Program and the Student Legal Forum: “Defining the Face of Immigration Enforcement” with John Morton (L ’94), Director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement – notes, welcome remarks, poster
- 2002, 2004; National Security Law Institute Lectures 11th (June 13, 2002) and 12th (2004-06-18) – notes and some correspondence.
- 1992; Palmer Weber Research Professorship in Civil Liberties and Human Rights – outgoing correspondence
- 2013; Nov. 26; PBS News Hour Interview
- 1987-1988; Poznań Centre for Human Rights Documentation [Human Rights Scientific Documentation and Information Centre, Poland] – correspondence
- 2013; Apr. 18; Stanford Conference: “Immigration Reform: Promises, Prospects and Pitfalls”
- 2012; April 19; UVA Law School 25th Sokol Colloquium on Private International Law: “Foreign Affairs Litigation in United States Courts”, UVA Law School, April 19, 2012. Includes remarks by Allan I. Mendelsohn. Notes, program.
- 2013; Virginia Journal of Social Policy and the Law and Immigration Law Program Symposium – Martin’s presentation remarks for Lori Scialabba
- 2012, Nov.; Virginia Poll Watcher and Voter Advocate – notes, correspondence and Guidelines for “Authorized Representatives/Pollwatchers Inside the Precinct: For the Authorized representatives,” (Red Hill)
- 2013, Nov. 12-13; U.S. – China Legal Experts Dialogue (Washington and Charlottesville) – email correspondence, program, notes
- 2014, May 22-24; University of California, Irvine, School of Law Immigration Law Professors Workshop
- 2013; Jun 25; Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, MPI Institute – “U. S. Immigration Policy Since 9/11: Understanding the Stalemate Over Comprehensive Immigration Reform”
- 2013, Nov. 1; Yale School Immigration Symposium – “Immigration Reform: the Good, the Bad and the Possible”
- 2014; Yale Interdiction Conference – “The Globalization of High Seas Interdiction: Sale’s Legacy and Beyond”
- 1977 – 1983; Personal Correspondence [includes correspondence with Supreme Court Judge Lewis F. Powell] (2 folders)
- 1978; Report of the Secretary of State to the Congress of the United States Regarding the Operations and Mandate of the Bureau of Human Rights and Humanitarian Affairs.
- 1986; Khmer Review Panel Memorandum re Khmer Review Process Final Report – [refugee applications filed by Cambodians in refugee camps in Thailand from November 19, 1985 to January 29, 1986];
- 1987; Employer Sanctions and the Immigration Reform and Control Act
- 2003; Virginia [Undocumented Students Tuition Bill] – House Bill No. 2339 – correspondence re bill
- Martin, David A.: “Note. Protecting the Fisc: Executive Impoundment and Congressional Power,” 82 Yale L. J. 1636 (1973)
- --- “Mass Migration of Refugees – Law and Policy,” reprint from Proceedings of the 76th Annual Meeting og the American Society of International Law, April 21-24, 1982.
- Martin, David A., Book review of International law and Fact-Finding in the Field of Human Rights, edited by Dr. B. G. Ramcharan. The Hague/Boston/London: Martinus Nujhoff, 1982 in 11 Intl J of Legal Information 289 (1983)
- Martin, David A.: “Comparative Policies on Political Asylum: Of Facts and Law”. In Defense of the Alien, Vol. IX, Immigration Reform, Temporary Workers, Supreme Court, Private Sector, Legal Aspects of Detention and Sanctuary Movement, and Comparative Policies on Political Asylum in Europa and North America. New York, Center for Migration Studies, 1987.
- --- Report to the Administrative Conference of the United States. Reforming Asylum Adjudication by David A. Martin, May 1989.
- Martin, David A. and Philip Martin, Coordination of Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker Service Programs, Preliminary Draft, Administrative Conference of the United States, 12/2/91 [Report]
- Martin, David A. and Philip Martin, Coordination of Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker Service Programs, Preliminary Draft, Administrative Conference of the United States, April 1992 [Report]
- --- “USA Refugee Policy: A Human Rights Analysis Update (Mark Gibney, Vanessa Dalton and Mark Vockell) 6 J Refugee Studies 153 (1993)
- --- [David A. Martin, Chapter 6: Refugees and Immigration, p. 155] in Joyner, Christopher C.: The United Nations and International Law, [Washington, D.C.]: American Society of International Law; Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- --- “Affirmative Action,” in Zeitzchrift für Kultur Austausch, 49 Jahrgang 3/99
- --- Myres Smith McDougal, Appreciations of an Extraordinary Man, Yale Law School 1999 (p. 96)
- --- “Haste, Gaps, and Some Possible Cures for the ICC. AN Introduction to the Panel,” 41 Va. J. Intl. L. 152 (2000)
- --- “The Authority and Responsibility of States,” in Aleinikoff and V. Chetail, Migration and International Legal Norms, The Netherlands, Asser Press, 2003.
- --- “Immigration Policy and the Homeland Security Act Reorganization: An early Agenda for Practical Improvements,” Migration Policy Institute, No. 1, April 2003
- --- “Immigration Policy and the Homeland Security Act Reorganization: An Early Agenda for Practical Improvements,” Interpreter Releases, Vol. 80, No. 17, April 2003
- --- The United States Refugee Admissions Program: Reforms for a New Era of Refugee Resettlement, August 2004.
- --- “Twilight Statuses: A Closer Examination of the Unauthorized Population,” Migration Policy Institute Policy Brief, No. 2, June 2005
- --- “Immigration Enforcement: Beyond the Border and the Workplace,” Migration Policy Institute, No. 19, July 2006.
- --- “Major Developments in Asylum Law Over the Past Year,” Interpreter Releases, Vol. 83, No. 34, September 2006
- --- “Agora (Continued): Military Commissions Act of 2006. Judicial Review and the Military Commissions Act: On Striking the Right Balance,” 101 Am J Intl L 344 (2007)
- --- “Major Developments in Asylum Law Over the Past Year: A Year in Dialogue between Courts and Agencies,” Interpreter Releases, Vol. 84, No. 35, September 2007
- --- “Another Second-Class Citizen,” Legal Times, 2008
- --- “[David A. Martin, Chapter 10: Myths about Eight Immigration Enforcement, p. 149] in Coates, David & Peter Siavelis et al: Getting Immigration Right: What Every American Needs to Know, Washington, D.C., Potomac Books, Inc., c2009.
- --- “Resolute Enforcement is Not Just for Restrictionists: Building a Stable and Efficient Immigration Enforcement System,” 30 J. L. and Pol. 411 (2015)
- Fadoul, Thomas J. et al: The Basics of Immigration Law, Presented by Committee on Continuing Legal Education of the Virginia Law Foundation, Co-sponsored with the International Law Section of the Virginia State Bar, 1987
- Fleming, Timothy B.: A Practical Legal Manual for Legalization Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (Revised Edition Based on the Final Regulations) in conjunction with the Washington Lawyer’s Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, Carolyn Waller, Director, Alien Rights Law Project and Deborah Standiford, Legalization Coordinator, 1987
- Fu, Kuen Chen; “Application of International Human Rights Law Within the Legal Framework of the Republic of China, “ 36 Journal of Social Science, College of Law, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, China March 1988
- German and American Migration and Refugee Policies. Recommendations of the Joint German-American Project of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Cambridge, MA, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1996.
- German and American Migration and Refugee Policies. Recommendations of the Joint German-American Project of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences Executive Summary. Cambridge, MA, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1996
- Hailbronner, Kay/Eckart Klein (Hrsg.): Einwanderungskontrolle und Menschenrechte – Immigration Controls and Human Rights, Beiträge anläßlich des Symposiums am 29./30 Juni 1998 in Postdam. Heildelberg, C. F. Müller Verlag, 1999.
- Hagino, Yoshio: “Recent Developments in the Immigration Law of the U. S. A.,” V Nanzan Review of American Studies, 1983
- --- “A Comparative Study on the Exclusion Law: Japan and U. S. A.,” 7 Nanzan Law Review, July 1983
- --- “New Japanese Immigration-Control and Refugee-recognition Act of 1981,” Nanzan hogaku , Vol. 8, No. 1 (1984)
- --- “Recent Developments of the Nationality Law of Japan,” Nanzan hogaku, Vol. 8, No. 2 (1984)
- Iwasawa, Yuji: (Domestic Applicability of Treaties: What are “Self-Executing” Treaties) Book review, 1987
- Lydon, Susan M. et al: ILRC Guide to Legalization Appeals, Palo Alto, Immigrant Legal Resource Center, 1988
- Murase, Shinya: “Trade Versus Security: The Cocom Regulations in Japan,” 31, Japanese Annual of International Law, No. 31 (1988)
- Daniel Girmai Negusie v. Michel B. Mukasey, S. Ct., No. 07-499 Brief for Scholars of International Refugee Law as Amici Curiae in Support of Petitioner.
- Jose Antonio Lopez v. Alberto R. Gonzales, S. Ct., No 05-547, Brief of Former General Counsels of the Immigration and Naturalization Service as Amici Curiae in Support of Petitioner Jose Antonio Lopez
- Dolly M. E. Filartiga and Dr. Joel Filartiga v. Americao Norberto Pena-Irala, Ct. App. 2nd Cir. Memorandum for the United States Amicus Curiae
Martin's Articles and Printed Materials on Faculty Collection Boxes
- Asylum Adjudication. Hearings Before the Subcommittee on Immigration and Refugee Policy of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, 97th Cong. 1st Session on How do we determine who is entitled to asylum in the United States and who is not?, October 14-16, 1981, Serial No. J-97-66
- “In Memory of Alexander M. Bickel (1924-1974) 84 Yale L. J. 2 (1974)
- “Large Scale Migrations of Asylum Seekers,” 76 Am. J. Int'l L. 598 (1982)
- “The Refugee Act of 1980: It’s Past and Future,” Michigan Yearbook of International Legal Studies, 1982 (Reprinted from Transnational Problems of Refugees)
- “The Legislative Veto and the Responsible Exercise of Congressional Power,” 68 Va. L. Rev. 253 (1982)
- “Large-Scale Migrations of Asylum Seekers,” 76 Amer.Journ.Int.Law 598 (1982)
- “Due Process and Membership in the National Community: Political Asylum and Beyond,” the Treatment of Aliens,” 44 P.L.R. 165 (1983)
- “Human Rights and the Movement of Persons,” Proceedings Seventy-Eighth Annual Meeting. The American Society of International Law, April 12-14, 1984
- “Membership and Consent: Abstract or Organic?” 11 Yale J. Int’l L. 278 (1985)
- “International Law and the Influx of Aliens: Sanctuary and the Right to Exclude,” Proceedings, Eightieth Annual Meeting. The American Society of International Law, April 9-12, 1986
- Major, Issues in Immigration Law (Federal Judicial Center 1987)
- "Mandel, Cheng Fan Kwok, and Other Unappealing Cases: The Next Frontier of Immigration Reform,” 27 Va. J.Intl. L 803 (1987)
- “The End of De Facto Asylum: Toward a Humane and Realistic Response to Refugee Challenges,” 1 Calif. Western Int. L.J. 161 (1987-1988)
- “Judicial Review of Legalization Denials,” Interpreter Releases Report and Analysis of Immigration and Nationality Law, V. 65, no. 29 (1988)
- “Human Rights Agenda: The Routine and The Special,” 28 Va. J. Int. L. (1988)
- “The New Asylum Seekers: Refugee Law in the 1980s,” The Ninth Sokol Colloquium on International Law, 1988
- “Effects of International Law on Migration Policy and Practice: The Uses of Hypocrisy,” 23 IMR (1989)
- “Reforming Asylum Adjudication: On Navigating the Coast of Bohemia,” 138 U. Pennsylvania L.Rev. 1247 (1990)
- “Asylum Seekers in the Western Democracies: A Comparative Overview,” Universités de Berne, Fribourg, Genève, Lausanne et Neuchâtel Enseignement de 3° Cycle Droit 1990 Droit des Réfugiés, Tirage à part, Éditions Universitaires Fribourg Suisse, 1991
- “Strategies for a Resistant World: Human Rights Initiatives and the Need for Alternatives to Refugee Interdiction,” 26 Cornell Int L. J. 753 (1993)
- “Interdiction, Intervention, and the New Frontiers of Refugee Law and Policy,” 33 Va. J. Intl. L. 473 (1993)
- “America’s Migration and Refugee Policy: Of Backlash and Balance,” in German American Academic Council foundation First Public Symposium om “Academic and Policy Issues confronting Germany and the United States, 1994.
- “Reluctance to Prosecute War Crimes: of Causes and Cures,” 34 Va. J. of Intl. L. 255 (1994)
- “The Civic Republican Ideal for Citizenship, and for Our Common Life,” 35 Va. J. Intl. L. 301 (1994)
- “Making Asylum Policy: The 1994 Reforms,” 70 Washington L. Rev. 725 (1995
- Kay Hailbronner, Hiroshi Motomura: “Conclusion. Immigration Admissions and Immigration Controls” Chapter 6 [photocopy of chapter]
- “New rules on dual nationality for a democratizing globe: between rejection and embrace,” 14 Geo Immig L J 1‑34 (1999)
- “In Elián’s Interest? New York Times, April 21, 2000
- “The 1995 Asylum Reforms. A historical and global perspective,” Backgrounder, Center for Immigration Studies, May 2000
- “On counterintuitive consequences and choosing the right control group: a defense of Reno v. AADC,” 14 Geo Immig L J 363‑383 (2000)
- “Two cheers for expedited removal in the new immigration laws,“ 40 Va J Int=l L 673‑704 (2000)
- “Fixing INS? Congress should take some blame for immigration woes,” Legal Times, April 29, 2002
- “Graduated application of constitutional protections for aliens: the real meaning of Zadvydas v Davis, 2001 Sup Ct Rev 47‑137
- “Waiting for Solutions. Extending the Period of Time for Migrants to Apply for Green Cards Doesn’t Get at the Real Problem,” Legal Times, May 28, 2001.
- “Behind the scenes on a different set: what Congress needs to do in the aftermath of St. Cyr and Nguyen” 16 Geo Immigr L J 313‑338 (2002)
- Introduction: the trend toward dual nationality. Rights and duties of dual nationals: evolution and prospects 3‑18 (David A. Martin & Kay Hailbronner, eds.). Kluwer Law International, 2003.
- “Dual Citizenship: Reflections on Theodore Roosevelt’s “Self-Evident Absurdity,” in Grenzüberschreitendes Recht – Crossing Frontiers, C.F. Müller, 2003
- “Preventive detention: immigration law lessons for the enemy combatant debate,” 18 Geo Immigr L J 305‑327 (2004)
- “A new era for U.S. refugee resettlement,” 36 Colum. Human Rights L. Rev. 299-321 (2005)
- “Offshore detainees and the role of courts after Rasul v. Bush: the underappreciated virtues of deferential review,” 25 B.C. Third World L.J. 125-160 (2005)
- “Eight myths about immigration enforcement,” 10 N.Y.U. J. Legis. & Pub. Pol=y 525-553 (2007)
|Access||Some restrictions apply|
|Use Restrictions||Some restrictions apply.|
Papers of David A. Martin, MSS 98-1c, Box Number, Special Collections, University of Virginia Law Library
|Unless otherwise stated, digital materials in our collections are available for use under a Creative Commons BY 4.0 License (CC-BY-4.0). For Use and Citation guidelines, see Special Collections Use Policy.|