|Creator:||Kellogg, Marion K.|
|Title:||The Papers of Marion K. Kellogg|
|Location:||This collection is stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections before your visit to ensure your papers are available.|
|Photograph Collection:||View 19 digitized photographs|
|Digitized Content:||19 objects|
|Use Restrictions:||There are no restrictions.|
Collection Description & Arrangement
The Papers of Marion Kellogg contain correspondence, programs, photographs and clippings of the Uruguayan Seminar (January - March, 1960) as well as photographs from the Alumni Meeting (1966). Also in this collection are two binders of materials from the Uruguayan Seminar (1960) and the Bolivian Seminar (1961). Finally, there is one folder of correspondence with the ABA Committee on International Economic Organizations from 1966-1972. Some documents are in Spanish.
Biographical & Historical Information
A native of Bowling Green, Kentucky, Kellogg graduated from VMI in 1925. He received a law degree from Yale in 1928 and practiced law in New York for four years with the Cravath firm before establishing his own firm in Detroit, where he practiced from 1932-55. He also served four years in the Army, rising to the rank of lieutenant colonel. He joined the UVA faculty first as a lecturer in 1956 and taught international law, trade, and investment law, retiring in 1975 as a full professor. At that time, the Virginia Law Weekly noted, “students remember his receptive, encouraging manner, and his willingness to give time to their instruction.” He served as the long-time advisor of the Virginia Journal of International Law. Kellogg was executive director of the Virginia Law Foundation from 1964 to 1973 during the critical fundraising period that preceded the Law School’s move to the North Grounds.
|Donor Information||This collection was donated to the Law Library by Marion K. Kellogg and Larry B. Wenger.|
- Universidad de Virginia. Seminario Uruguayo. Programa Académico. Charlottesville, Virginia, Estados Unidos de América, Febrero-Marzo de 1960. Tomos I-II,
- Universidad de Virginia. Seminario Boliviano. Programa Académico. Charlottesville, Virginia, Estados Unidos de América, Abril – Mayo de 1961. Tomos I, II, III.
- 1960; Uruguayan Seminar. Correspondence between Marion K. Kellogg and Edgar F. Shannon, Jr.; Dean Frederick D. G. Ribble; Juan Carlos Pastrón, Decano de la Facultad de Derecho y Ciencias Sociales, Universidad de la República Oriental del Uruguay; Mario Cassineni, Rector, Universidad de la República Oriental del Uruguay; Donald B. Cook, Director of Educational Exchange, Department of State. Report of Coordinator, General Schedule, Syllabi, news-clippings, photographs, programs.
- 1961; Bolivian Seminar Correspondence between Edgar F. Shannon, Jr. President of UVA and Donald B. Cook, Director of the Department of State Office of Educational Exchange; Jorge Muñoz Reyes, Rector of the Universidad Mayor de San Andrés, La Paz, Bolivia; Jaime Moscoso Delgado, Decano de la Facultad de Derecho de la Universidad Mayor de San Andrés. Correspondence between Marion K. Kellogg and Marita T. Houlihan, Acting Chief, Student Division, DOS Office of Education Exchange; Edgar F. Shannon, Jr.; John J. Kennedy, Executive Officer of UVA Woodrow Wilson Department of Foreign Affairs; Justice John H. Harlan; Robert F. Kennedy, Attorney General. Program Report of Coordinator, news-clippings and photographs.
- 1966-1972; ABA Committee on International Economic Organizations. Correspondence, memoranda
|Access||There are no restrictions.|
|Use Restrictions||There are no restrictions.|
Papers of Marion K. Kellogg, MSS 97-2, Box Number, Special Collections, University of Virginia Law Library
|Unless otherwise stated, digital materials in our collections are available for use under a Creative Commons BY 4.0 License (CC-BY-4.0). For Use and Citation guidelines, see Special Collections Use Policy.|