Papers of Michael P. Dooley
Small collection of professional extra-curricular consulting papers (1967-2012).
Scope & Contents
The collection consists of 3 archival boxes (1.5 linear ft.) The files consist primarily of documents labeled “consulting,” and were found in his office after his death. There is also some correspondence.
DATE RECEIVED 2014
Biographical / Historical
Michael Patrick Dooley, Professor Emeritus at the University of Virginia School of Law, was born on 16 January 1939 in Iowa City. He received his undergraduate and law degrees (1963) from the University of Iowa. He was the comment editor for the <em>Iowa Law Review</em> and member of the Order of the Coif. After graduating, he practiced law in New York City with the firm of Ballantine, Bushby, Palmer & Wood until 1968, when he left private practice to teach at the University of Illinois. In 1971, he came to Charlottesville to be a “lecturer” at the University of Virginia Law School, joined the faculty in 1972, and taught at the Law School for 41 years before retiring in 2012.
Dooley served on the advisory committee of the New York Stock Exchange from 1991-1995. He was member of the American Bar Association’s committees on corporate laws and corporate practice, and on the Virginia Bar Association Corporate Task Force, the ABA Task Force on Executive Compensation, and an ad hoc committee on the American Law Institute Corporate Governance Project. He was chair of the business law section of the American Association of Law Schools. He drafted a new derivative suit statute for the Virginia Stock Corporation Act (1992) and was a reporter for the ABA’s Model Business Corporation Act.
Professor Dooley taught torts, securities, corporations, corporate financial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and contracts. He also chaired the Graduate Program Committee at the Law School, and taught in the Darden School Executive Program on mergers and acquisitions.
Professor Dooley died February 18, 2014.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
These collection was transferred to the Law Library in June of 2014.